Tug jobs, what to pack?

Okay so here’s a question that’s probably begging for a sarcastic answer but in all seriousness, I just got hired on and am shipping out soon I was wondering what I should pack with me for a 14-30 day tug trip?

That depends greatly on where you are going…Alaska, Equatorial Africa, GoM- or maybe you are going from one of these places to the other?

If you are new to tugs, don’t forget to bring some tough skin, a sense of humor and bar of soap.

Normal work clothes. Rain gear is a must. Knife flashlight

Yes I am new to tugs, but not new to work. First trip thanks for the replys any info helps honestly I’m not sure what to expect, I believe I’ll be out by grays harbor Washington

Warm clothes and rain gear.

Alarm Clock…

High rubber boots, and/or a change of dry footware

Cough drops / cough medicine

[QUOTE=captfish;56296]If you are new to tugs, don’t forget to bring some tough skin, a sense of humor and bar of soap.[/QUOTE]

Best advice in the thread. On most tugs, the crews have been working together for a long time and “the new guy” just may be in for a bit of a ride as he fits in. I remember getting my first few trips under my belt, and I also remember breaking in new guys.

If you are new to tugs, don’t forget to bring some tough skin, a sense of humor and bar of soap.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good one and so so true!!

But in all seriousness the high rubber boot are a most for when you make tow.

Good luck!!

I bring a good set of sheets and a pillow case/cover…beats sleeping on the Triscuit like sheets found on some boats! A good flashlight isn’t a bad idea either…

1 Like

Flashlight - Pelican makes a good inherently safe one
Knife - a SHARP knife
Gloves - for handling wire and any other shit that could fuck yer hands up
Foul weather gear that can take a beating.
Clothing - Unsure about PNW, enough to stay warm but deal with Indian Summer

Here’s a pretty definitive list of more gear courtesy of Towmasters: The Master of Towing Vessels Association:

Thanks again guys!

[QUOTE=capitanahn;56312]Alarm Clock…[/QUOTE]

Rechargable battery operated, one that you plug in but is actually operating off the battery otherwise it won’t keep the correct time. Personally, I use the alarm settings on my phone and put it in airplane mode when I hit the rack.

Multiple pairs of gloves. I use leather, they’re the only one’s that stand up to the salt water for any period of time. Nature of the job, they get wet. Swap them out and put the wet one’s in the fidley or engine room to dry. Army surplus stores you can get wool inserts that will help keep your hands warm. 5 minutes in a dryer by themselves and those are good to go again.

Rain gear for the Pacific Northwest. This gear can be light. It’s “always” raining but it’s a light rain/drizzle. In 15 years living in Washington I never once saw a downpour. A good pair of waterproof boots is usually sufficient, rubber boots rarely have the protection for your feet that you’re going to want working on a tug.

Good luck and congratulations!

Along with the gear you’ll need, read this. Be Safe.
bbhttp://captbbrucato.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/tugboat-etiquette-for-the-new-hire/

1 Like

OUTSTANDING Capt Brucato!

Cal, thank you very much! And Capt. Brucato that is an amazing bit of information! It’s great that you would take the time to write that up!

You’re welcome, be safe and pay attention.

Following as I’m hoping to be landing myself a temp tug job before too long!

For the foul weather gear, does anyone have a favorite supplier, or place to purchase? Looking into something along the lines of Rural King as I don’t really know anywhere that’s geared towards safety gear so to speak.

Grundens , carhartt makes some good rain gear now , frog togs is you need some cheap gear, xrta tuff boots , or redwings / wolverine Wellington style slip on , if you invest in good foul weather gear it will last you a long time