Hawsepiper Third assistant engineers

I’ve been looking at the possibility of seeking unlicensed engineering roles and I was curious about the path to becoming a licensed engineer. I’ve been to sea in the Navy, though it was in submarine force. I’ve heard that STCW requirements have made Hawsepiper licensing more difficult. Could anyone comment on how that effects unlicensed members of the engineering department from qualifying as Third assistant engineer?

Thanks,

–Robert

I would head to the NMC website, hit the checklist for the license you ultimately want, read what is required and work backwards from there. See what is required for 3rd, jump back to see what is required for qmed, etc. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/default.asp

[QUOTE=snacktray;139131]I would head to the NMC website, hit the checklist for the license you ultimately want, read what is required and work backwards from there. See what is required for 3rd, jump back to see what is required for qmed, etc. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/default.asp[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend that you hire a good USCG license consultant, such as Chuck Kasuka at k sea licensing, or Andy Hammond at mariner help, or Holly Chetta, to help you properly present your peculiar situation to the USCG. It makes no sense to waste a lot time and end up with less license than you are entitled to, by trying to do it yourself.

I can definitely agree to that. I did all the research myself and spent a significant amount of time making sure I applied for everything I qualified for, only to be questioned by the NMC and spend months corresponding with them, finding sources and citing rules to get what I deserved. Had I known about license consultants at that time, I would have paid the money, no questions asked.

[QUOTE=snacktray;139131]I would head to the NMC website, hit the checklist for the license you ultimately want, read what is required and work backwards from there. See what is required for 3rd, jump back to see what is required for qmed, etc. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/default.asp[/QUOTE]On a related note, I’m curious about there GMDSS maintenance has landed in the shipboard organization. One of the STCW unlicensed ratings for the engine department is the STCW Global Maritime Distress And Safety System (GMDSS) at-sea maintainer. Given the disappearance of the Radio Officer position from many ships, where has GMDSS repair landed? Does it fall to Deck or Engineering? Is it done by licensed officers or unlicensed ratings? Is it not done, because it’s easy enough to own two radio and radar systems?The reason I ask is I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy. I worked on radios, radar and navigation equipment. I’m well qualified in that role, along with computers now. Where do those sorts of people land in shipboard organization? Is it a case where there is enough duplication of equipment to allow for shore side maintenance?Thanks in advance,Robert

I carried this bunch of questions over to another forum. My questions are pretty much answered.

Thanks,

Robert

Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks