2nd Assistant Engineer and Chief Engineer Study Materials

I work with a Romanian engineer who wants to get a USCG 1st assistant license and wants to know what books are the best as a refresher of all the information on these tests. (I assume that he would need to take both the 2AE and CE exams, correct me if I am wrong.)

We might as well start a good list of the best engineer study materials while we are at it, so engineers, what books are the most useful?

(I already told him about seasources.net for quizzing, now I want to know about books to relearn the material.)

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;62324]I work with a Romanian engineer who wants to get a USCG 1st assistant license and wants to know what books are the best as a refresher of all the information on these tests. (I assume that he would need to take both the 2AE and CE exams, correct me if I am wrong.)

We might as well start a good list of the best engineer study materials while we are at it, so engineers, what books are the most useful?

(I already told him about seasources.net for quizzing, now I want to know about books to relearn the material.)[/QUOTE]
Has he aquired U.S. citizenship?

Yes. He has been an unlicensed engineer on tugs here for 12 years and is a US citizen.

No license equals DDE unlimited or 3rd assistant if he has a Qmed. Being he works on tugs, odds are he doesn’t have a Qmed and will only be able to get a DDE unlimited. Hold that for 360 days and get a chief limited n/c or 720 and get chief limited oceans. Anything bigger than a DDE unlimited requires see time as a licensed engineer with the exception of 3rd assistant which requires QMED time. You can crossover after the chief limited exams to the upper level with sea time and exams. Hawsepipe.net for any study material you made need. Used it for the past 3 upgrades and passed without any problems on the first round.

He sailed deep sea for many years and has a 2AE Romanian license. I am asking for study materials, not whether or not he can get the license.

You asked about a USCG license, not a Romanian license.

Doesn’t matter how long he sailed deep sea. He 's not getting a uscg 1st assistant without having having held a uscg license as a 2nd assistant.

Exactly. He has a Romanian license, so why would I ask about that?

You tell me. You write the original post.

Looks like to me you you said " He wants to get USCG 1st assistant" then went into detail what exams he would have to take and correct you if your wrong. Well you are being corrected. No need for the smart ass answers.

He wants to get a US license. Nothing in the CFRs say his licensed time has to be with a US license, therefore he should be able to go straight to 1AE.

Again, I’m not asking if he can get it. He will find out when he applies. I want to know what study material he should get to brush up for the exams.

You did not correct what was being referenced by that phrase. Since you claim he needs a US 2Ae before going for 1AE please enlighten everyone as to why? He has the requisite time as a 2AE while holding a license as 2AE…

You can not crossover from a different country to a us license. He had to be a citizen which he already is as you stated and start over with all his sea time as a new mariner. Us doesn’t allow you to crossover with another country license. Ask James Cavo if you want the details.

So he has to begin again at 3AE?

Has to get a Qmed first and then get the 720 days as a Qmed to get the 3rd with the total 1080 days.

Back to the point of the thread, what study materials are the best for the engineering exams?

I’m pretty sure this is false, unless something changed in the last two years. There was a filipino engineer here that had a foreign license and after he got his citizenship he was able to sit for uscg chief engineer unlimited.

I had a us citizen from Mexico that went to a Mexican maritime academy that sailed all the way up to a Chief Engineer with a Panamanian endorsement. He had to start all over like a new mariner. Simply ask James Cavo and you’ll get all your answers.

I am waiting for a response to my pm. How long ago was that experience you had?

It was around 5 or 6 years ago.