Have they cut too deep?

Working on these ferries I see the major work boat companies out of LA crew changing regularly. When I can, I like to talk with the crew. Last year until recently the conversations were very dismal and crew were wondering if they were next to get the Axe. A conversation I had with a captain yesterday got me to thinking things are turning around fairly quick and the HR folks may be caught with their pants down. As recently as Jan this year this major player was laying up boats and making cuts. Now two months later all their boats are back working and the fortunate few who remain are finding the office wants them to stay a little longer because there is no relief. The source had to demand the office get him relief and confided in me that he’s had enough and will retire.
What are your thoughts?

10 - You have an opportunity to have an unique perspective.

Three Thursdays ago I finished a class in LA, then talked to a couple of companies before heading home. Things looked bleak.

The following Monday, I got a call from one of the companies, asking if I could be there by that afternoon for a physical, and go on board that night. Unfortunately I was 1,400 miles away.

Then last Friday the same company called, and asked if I could be in the office first thing Monday morning. That was do-able, so I’m heading down tomorrow for a 28 day hitch.

First time I’ll be working in the oil patch since last summer. Hope others have similar luck.

Good job water…Things are looking up…

I’m seeing similar things in Fourchon,everyone I know is working over,and several boats were brought out of stack.

Part of this seems to be that I know a lot of guys who are working international who were brought back to the US to get their Celestial endorsement before the proposed rule changes take affect.

I have heard of several people who were laid off being called back.

If you are still looking I would suggest doubling your efforts this next few weeks.

Good Luck,and hang in there,maybe the worst is over…

That sounds good. I have been home for a while now out of work but have been hoping to find something locally. I am going to give it another week or two then will probably cross the Sabine River again:mad:. That barge that exploded in Ingleside really threw a wrench in the gears as that is where I was hoping to go. Who is actually hiring? I have talked with most of the big dogs but requested international assignments.

I can tall just form passing the Public and International docks here in Intercoastal City that things are picking up. In 2 months it’s gone from the boats being 3 wide to just a boat or 2 waiting for crew change.

My company has all of our boats working or on dry dock for coast guard. I don’t know of any Captain spots, but they seem to be hiring deckhands pretty regularly.

Anybody know if Gulfmark has put any of their boats back to work? They had them all stacked in Houma across from Dolphin Fab and the new Chouest Ship yard.

[quote=Jemplayer;30056]
Anybody know if Gulfmark has put any of their boats back to work? They had them all stacked in Houma across from Dolphin Fab and the new Chouest Ship yard.[/quote]

I haven’t seen it with my own eyes but have heard they are working.

I didn’t know the new the new rules were going to affect moving up to oceans routes. Can you give me a quick version of what will be required under the new rules?

Thanks

The companies sure dont want us to know if things are picking up! That would mean raises and whatnot, lord knows they dont want that :slight_smile:

“I didn’t know the new the new rules were going to affect moving up to oceans routes. Can you give me a quick version of what will be required under the new rules?”

If the definition of an International voyage changes,a near coastal license will not be valid for working in a foreign port. As you know this may change or be delayed,but everyone’s scrambling to get what they need,as it could be adopted at any time.

I have heard from several sources that whenever the rule goes into effect that anybody working internationally will be required to hold a 1600 ton master oceans with all STCW endorsements. I cannot find it on the internet but it can’t be scuttlebutt because it has come from several reliable sources.

[quote=TxKingfisher;30059]I didn’t know the new the new rules were going to affect moving up to oceans routes. Can you give me a quick version of what will be required under the new rules?

Thanks[/quote]

The only rule that is proposed to be changed is that 1600 Ton will be the smallest license that can be Oceans endorsed. They will no longer be issuing 500 ton licenses and they will not be issuing Ocean endorsements for 200 ton licenses .

Could be, but Seacor, Hornbeck, Tidewater, and Chouest have all heard that the 1600 ton ocean rule will soon apply???

That is seriously fucked up… :mad:

But I believe the notice had a grandfather clause read that whatever you have when it goes into effect you’ll get to keep.

It just dawned on me… Of course they wont allow 500 oceans under the new rules. 500 will be nonexistant under the new rules. All of us 500 guys get a free bump to 1600. (Or so they say)

The way I read it, it’s not that the 500 ton won’t exist, they will continue to renew it, there just won’t be any new ones issued.

So for a guy with a 500 ton to upgrade to 1600 under the new rules he would still have to take the new “Management” classes?

Hey fellows,
I would really like to keep this thread on topic. There is another thread for the proposed changes.

Are you getting relieved on time?
Are they asking you to work extra?
Do you see more of your company boats working?
Is HR scrambling to find qualified personnel and/or hiring back those laid off?
Any post along these lines would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I just returned to the oil patch for work. Yes, there is activity with boats returning to service. The crewboat company I am now working for so far is tapping into captains that are prior employees, although we have a new hire deck hand. So far they have crewed up 5 more boats since mid-March. Don’t know much else - haven’t been here long enough yet.

But the predicted turn around that would be starting in the second quarter appears to be slowly happening.