Have they cut too deep?

[QUOTE=Cal;30161]The way I read it, it’s not that the 500 ton won’t exist, they will continue to renew it, there just won’t be any new ones issued.[/QUOTE]

Nah, you are golden they will upgrade you to 1600 ton with a year of sea time as Master of vessels over 100 tons. No further testing required.

at International we just bought 16 more boats, 10 utility, 6 crew. Things are picking up. The office has looked like an anthill with all the activity. Now if it would just translate into those of us who kept things running when it was lean…

When they start giving raises or offer large sums of money to fill spots on vessels then I would say they cut to deep, until then I would be wary of telling anyone what they could shove or where they should shove it. Sounds like the layoffs may have end though.

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;30059]I didn’t know the new the new rules were going to affect moving up to oceans routes. Can you give me a quick version of what will be required under the new rules?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I am an external auditor for ISM, SOLAS, MARPOL, SMS…everything, the celecial navigation, the lost art to younger generation, is a must now, along with amplitute, azimuth sightings.

I have noticed that my calls are being answered now by personnel folks and not being directed to voice mail.

I got word today that Kirby is gearing up to do [B]MAJOR[/B] hiring. For you entry level folks that have no experience and no endorsements check out Kirby. They like to train you the Kirby Way.
http://kmtc.com/

[QUOTE=capitanahn;30445]I am an external auditor for ISM, SOLAS, MARPOL, SMS…everything, the celecial navigation, the lost art to younger generation, is a must now, along with amplitute, azimuth sightings.[/QUOTE]
I had to do azimuth and amplitudes on my T-Nav.

[QUOTE=10talents;31001]I have noticed that my calls are being answered now by personnel folks and not being directed to voice mail.[/QUOTE]
I hope this bodes well for my trip down to cajun country later this week. And I hope I dont jump on the first garbage scow that comes along… (but I’m getting majorly sick of sitting on the neack so I probably will)

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;31004]I hope this bodes well for my trip down to cajun country later this week. And I hope I dont jump on the first garbage scow that comes along… (but I’m getting majorly sick of sitting on the neack so I probably will)[/QUOTE]

**unfortunately I had to…but the HR people must be shuffling thru their pile of applications…have had 3 calls regarding employment in the last 2 weeks…intend to “cherry pick” my next opportunity!!

More good news. A port captain from major GOM boat company rode the ferry this evening. We chatted the trip over and he told me that his company is putting some of their OSV’s back into service. The crew boats are still stacked. He had come over for CG inspections on one of the OSV’s. The CG told him they had not done any inspections on OSV’s for over a year and now they are busy with them.

Finally off the ferries and working in the DWH cleanup. Got a call while out at sea with another offer as 2nd mate.

“Finally off the ferries and working in the DWH cleanup. Got a call while out at sea with another offer as 2nd mate.”

Congratulations 10 Talents, That is really Great News,now you can use the other nine talents you have !!!

Let’s hope everyones back to work soon.

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;31004]I had to do azimuth and amplitudes on my T-Nav. [/QUOTE]

On the 3/m test we only had amplitudes on T-Nav. When we were all testing this year someone in one of the rooms got up to get a pub. 229 during the t-nav exam. A bunch of people in that room panicked and went for a 229 also to solve it as an AZ. All of them ended up failing because of it.

[QUOTE=10talents;32483]Finally off the ferries and working in the DWH cleanup. Got a call while out at sea with another offer as 2nd mate.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations 10talents! Glad to hear it.

When it rains, it pours…

Congrats 10talents!

Who will rescue all the beanie babies now though???