Finally taking the plunge, headed down to LA (another FNG)

After much consideration, and lots of school fees to get the tickets I think I’ll be needing, I’m finally headed down in a couple of weeks. I began this process almost 2 years ago on this very forum. I’ll be staying at the Chateau with Miss Claudette for the first week and going from there. [B] I’d like to take the chance to thank all of the forum members for such a wealth of knowledge![/B] I’ll keep this thread going as things progress if anybody is interested. Happy hunting fellas.

good luck to you…

when you see Joe Boss down there say hey for me!

Good luck to ya. Hope something good comes your way, a start to a career you won’t regret.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted. It is always good to see someone improve their lot in life.

And staying at Ms. Claudette’s is a good choice.

Good luck to you sir, hope it’s a successful trip. I’m trying to get down there sometime in October. It probably won’t be until the later part of the month.

Too late dude all full up now. Hiring freezes everywhere! Stay put till after the new year.

doesn’t hurt to go show your face, but it was definitely slow when I went through there a few weeks ago. I thought with a big license id be set but there wasn’t much interest and lots and lots of boats sitting at the dock in Fourchon. Not sure how it normally looks down there, but it seemed pretty quiet.

Don’t worry. Something is always opening up.

We’re firing daily.

(True)

[QUOTE=+A465B;145256]Don’t worry. Something is always opening up.

We’re firing daily.

(True)[/QUOTE]

If you fire any engineers, could you drop me a line? :slight_smile:

You mentioned it’s slow…How’s the market for Coast Guard veterans looking for AB work???

[QUOTE=TXIMR;145218]Too late dude all full up now. Hiring freezes everywhere! Stay put till after the new year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Sucks to hear its slow, but I know for a fact that they just keep on splashing new boats. Can’t stay slow forever…I hope.

Things may have slowed down, but people are still retiring, failing drug tests, getting injured (even off the job), etc. and the HR department needs to replace them.

Well, I made some calls today, updated my resume, did a little geographical research on the bayou area. Hell, I even have an in with some brown water guys up here in the Midwest and began mining those contacts. I feel pretty locked and loaded. It sounds a little dismal down south but I’m one tenacious bastard, I’ve budgeted up to a month on this trip and will come back for round 2 in Jan if it comes to that. I finally got the scratch together and time off to do this and here comes a hiring freeze. Murphy’s law I guess… I see there is a job online working on a westpac boat with a 60 day rotation for HMS. Anybody know about these gov contract boats?

Does anyone know: if you want to knock on hornebeck’s door, do you go to the corperate headquarters in Covington or the port in Golden Meadows? I’m assuming golden meadows, but I’d like to be sure.

Go to the office in Covington. Good luck!

Well fellas,

After a pleasantly uneventful drive down to Raceland from Louisville, KY, I’ve arrived at the Chateau on the Bayou. Miss Claudette was very informative about the process of maximizing your efforts here for the job hunt. I’ll be starting first thing tomorrow morning. I hope I can sleep.

Good Luck,

I like folks that takes the bull by the horns instead of listening to the nay sayers. It lets me know who I can trust when the crap hits the fan. You should find something if your gonna be down here a month for sure.

[QUOTE=needlegun;146527]Well fellas,

After a pleasantly uneventful drive down to Raceland from Louisville, KY, I’ve arrived at the Chateau on the Bayou. Miss Claudette was very informative about the process of maximizing your efforts here for the job hunt. I’ll be starting first thing tomorrow morning. I hope I can sleep.[/QUOTE]

If you don’t find a job right away, you might want to take some of the required safety classes at Falck Safety Services, such as SafeGulf, Rigging, and HUET

[QUOTE=tugsailor;146536]If you don’t find a job right away, you might want to take some of the required safety classes at Falck Safety Services, such as SafeGulf, Rigging, and HUET[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t do that since the hiring companies put new hires through those training courses on THEIR dime. You’re not going to miss out on an employment opportunity with a legit company because you didn’t pay for your own HUET, Safe Gulf, etc.

So I had a good learning experience this first day of job hunting. Both ECO and Harvey saw me today, but they mentioned the dreaded hiring freeze. Apparently, from what Nick said at Harvey, this is almost a normal thing this time of year due to customers (oil companies) doing an evaluation of their expenditures for the year and pulling back on the reins. Both companies said that I should keep checking in with them every week and come back after new year if I don’t find anything this go. I may or may not re-evaluate the value of staying here another 2 or 3 weeks and save my funds for coming in January. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going balls to the wall this week and possible next, but I think it would be prudent to conserve efforts (and money) if I have come up with zilch. Just planning for the worst and wishing for the best. I went to about 5 companies today as it seemed to take quite awhile in each office. ECO told me I should come back in and meet with Nicky Collins later this week, as he was out with a death in the family. I’m going to get to every company I can these next few days so I can increase my odds. Never say die!