Future LA trip

Hello all. I have done plenty of research on gcaptain about how to make your LA trip successful and land a job. I’ve been working on the great lakes for about a year now as a tug/barge mate w a 3rd mate unlimited ticket and looking to move to a side of the industry w more opportunity to advance as well as get my DPO cert. I have talked to Nicky @ ECO and Nick @ Harvey weekly for about 3 months. No luck. Also have applied w laborde and GOS recently, no hits. Anyone have any other helpful tips besides have ALL paperwork ready and your seabag packed? Thanks everyone!

All you got left to do is make the trip to Lousy-ana.

I just took that big leap and got a job at Hornbeck!!! I stayed at the

Merchant Marine Hotel

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773

I can’t say enough about her. She is a wealth of information and knows many people in the area. Much better rate then a hotel. If I where you I would rent a car at enterprise if possible and pack your bags just in case. Enterprise car rental works great just because if you do get a job you can drop it off local. Come on Sunday and plan on staying at least till Thursday morning. Be sure to spend some time chatting with her at the B&B it’s well worth your time.

Make sure to have all license credentials and certificates on hand. Have several copy’s of your resume ready you will need them trust me!!!
Best of luck

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Engineguy79
Thanks for all of the kind words.
It was just as nice having you as a guest, here.
Very happy for you in regards to getting such a great job.
Let me clarify things a bit:
The name of my B&B is “A Chateau on the Bayou” which is centrally located in Raceland to many of the maritime companies.
(Don’t want to mislead anyone to thinking that it is a Merchant Marine Hotel. :slight_smile:
I have visitors from all over the world that stay here.
Some are coming from France in just a couple of weeks.
Yes, I do fill my extra rooms with mariners looking for work or going to school to upgrade licenses at LE Fletcher (LAMPI), Edison Chouest training center, Lafourche Merchant Marine, etc.
I offer a discounted rate of $60/night for mariners.
Check in time is usually anytime from 3:00 to 7:00, preferably.
I do not take late check-ins.
And, yes, my record is still good.
Every mariner that has stayed here since last Nov. has gotten a job.

My website is: http://www.achateauonthebayou.com
Visit my FB page and “Like” it at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165
If i can be of help to any of you in providing lodging please email me at claudettelp@charter.net, PM, or call.
Wishing you all the best!
Claudette L. Pitre
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773

[QUOTE=engineguy79;76465]I just took that big leap and got a job at Hornbeck!!! I stayed at the

Merchant Marine Hotel

Claudette L. Pitre
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773

I can’t say enough about her. She is a wealth of information and knows many people in the area. Much better rate then a hotel. If I where you I would rent a car at enterprise if possible and pack your bags just in case. Enterprise car rental works great just because if you do get a job you can drop it off local. Come on Sunday and plan on staying at least till Thursday morning. Be sure to spend some time chatting with her at the B&B it’s well worth your time.

Make sure to have all license credentials and certificates on hand. Have several copy’s of your resume ready you will need them trust me!!!
Best of luck[/QUOTE]

Ms Claudette- I will be in touch with you in the next week or so. Looking forward to staying and talking with you! Heard nothing but very good things about you and your B&B.

[QUOTE=A Chateau on the Bayou;76471]
And, yes, my record is still good.
Every mariner that has stayed here since last Nov. has gotten a job.

[/QUOTE]

Now that is impressive!

Miss C., good to hear the record is intact! Thanks again!

[QUOTE=searayman824;76473]Ms Claudette- I will be in touch with you in the next week or so. Looking forward to staying and talking with you! Heard nothing but very good things about you and your B&B.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to hearing from you and having you as a guest at my B&B.

[QUOTE=water;76483]Now that is impressive![/QUOTE]

People like you, Water", have made my record what it is.
Thanks for everything.

[QUOTE=mtskier;76509]Miss C., good to hear the record is intact! Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Yes, and don’t let me forget about you, Mt. Skier.
You have helped make my record what it is, also.

Miss C just wanted to say thanks for your help as well. You were a great help to me when I was on the job hunt as well. Thanks Kelly

[QUOTE=ksisk;76685]Miss C just wanted to say thanks for your help as well. You were a great help to me when I was on the job hunt as well. Thanks Kelly[/QUOTE]

It’s been my pleasure to have met you and many other mariners in their pursuit of jobs, down here…
Opening my B&B to mariners has taught me another world.
I have learned so much about this industry; having lived here all of my life not knowing much about any of these companies.
So, what I have learned has come from all of you staying at my B&B
I am happy to be able to share this info with all of you.
And, as always, wish you all the very best.
Claudette L. Pitre
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165

Just booked my stay at the chateau with miss Claudette!! Already very helpful and my hopes are high of landing a great new job!