Finally taking the plunge, headed down to LA (another FNG)

Alright, score! Found a job on a crew boat. Have to start out entry level, but if the first couple of days with going to the top tier companies is any indication of the job market, I think I made the right choice on taking a job to get my foot in the door. I eventually would like to get on an osv, so I hope this will be a stepping stone, even if it’s os on an osv.

If you can sleep comfortably on a crew boat, you can sleep comfortably anywhere.

Congrats. A crewboat is good experience.

As it turns out, you were correct. I am sitting in a hotel room and taking my rigging and HUET on the companies dime, including the hotel.

Crewboats are some of the best boat handling experience.

yeah, I think this is going to be a really great experience for me. I know it will be tough, but as they say, “Nothing worthwhile is easy.”

Congrats, Needlegun! You made a good choice on getting your foot in the door.

As coldduck says, it is a great boat handling experience.

so this got me thinking; ive never seen a job listing for a crew boat engineer. Do they all operate with unlicensed engineers and “unmanned” ERs?

As far as I can tell the Capt and deckhand have to do all that stuff. For instance, they asked me if I was “mechanically inclined,” in the interview , and I said I can change racors and stuff like that. I’m not entirely sure about all that though.

Some of the larger crew boats have DDE’s but for the most part crew boats have unlicensed engineers AKA deckineers. Captains in that case end up being the ones ultimately in charge of engine room repairs. As if there wasn’t enough on their plate…

Most all crewboats are 99grt and under. Majority run an unlicensed “deckaneer”. Some of the better companies will have someone on there with a qmed and the few that are over 100grt will have a dde.

I’m actually thinking about using my sea time on crew boats to work towards some engineering tickets as it seems like the demand for good engineers is much higher and I’m basically starting over again in my career. It seems like you can’t throw a stone around s. Louisiana without hitting an ab:) just a thought anyway. I may not be able to use the time on my crew boat not really sure. Anybody know about that?

[QUOTE=needlegun;146815]I’m actually thinking about using my sea time on crew boats to work towards some engineering tickets as it seems like the demand for good engineers is much higher and I’m basically starting over again in my career. It seems like you can’t throw a stone around s. Louisiana without hitting an ab:) just a thought anyway. I may not be able to use the time on my crew boat not really sure. Anybody know about that?[/QUOTE]

As long as your sea letter says you were an “engineer” or “unlicensed engineer” or “responsible for engine duties” or some variation of those you can use crewboat time towards a qmed or DDE. As long as the vessel has a ‘walk in’ engine room, which crewboats do. From what I have observed there is more of a need for engineers which is why I am working as one right now instead of using my deck license.
I was out of the conventional workboat industry for a few years, working on naval support vessels. When I transitioned back into the workboat world I found out pretty quick that there were way more abs and captains looking for work than engineers.

One more thing guys,

This is specifically for crew boats so don’t stick me to much…

Do I have too much stuff? I was going on the advice I heard on here and other people. I have a duffel that is about 3x1x1ft and a normal sized backpack. Don’t want to be an A hole, but also don’t want to forget anything.

I brought:

Jeans
T’s
Undies
Socks
Rain coat
Rain pants
Dickies cover-alls (lined). These guys are BULKY.
Long sleeve pjs
Twin sheets
Blanket (light fleece). One crew boat guy said it was cold as a well diggers ass in the cabin.
Pillow
Meds/toiletries
Towel
Shower flops
Slippers
Books
iPad/iPhone and cables
MMD and other important docs
Pfd
Hard hat
Work gloves
Safety glasses
Work boots
Sun glasses

[ATTACH]4072[/ATTACH]

I’m not a crew boat guy, but that sounds like plenty of gear for a 14 day hitch. I am surprised that they told you to bring bedding and a pillow, thought that died out many years ago.

Forgot to list your teddy bear

It’s 28 days, and like I said, just going off of what other people have mentioned to me. You guys think the rain gear is necessary? It’s also pretty effing bulky. Might also lose the blanket and pillow. I’ll keep the sheets, because they don’t take up much room.

Unless you like the hardhat they are furnished along with any other company required ppe

You are correct, it’s the company issued gear, but I still have to bring it w me so I’m counting it.

[QUOTE=needlegun;147090]It’s 28 days, and like I said, just going off of what other people have mentioned to me. You guys think the rain gear is necessary? It’s also pretty effing bulky. Might also loose the blanket and pillow. I’ll keep the sheets, because they don’t take up much room.[/QUOTE]

Even as a captain, I always bring my foul weather gear. I cannot imagine a deckhand showing up for work without proper foul weather gear.