Gulf of Mexico layoffs

[QUOTE=coldduck;151820]Why not say which company?? A lot of people on here post confidential information for the assistance of fellow Mariners. Some even at great personal risk. No risk for you.[/QUOTE]

I would have to think it’s Harvey Gulf. From what I understand their Vessel Managers make somewhere in the neighborhood of $140,000/year which is significantly higher than the other OSV operators. Everyone at HGIM can take a 10% pay cut and they’re still at or above the standard wages for their position.

HOS and Harvey are/have officially making cuts. Harvey 10% from what I’ve seen, HOS cutting both office and field.

he is a scab, don’t mind him

[QUOTE=rob;151741]Not going to reveal which company but a source is telling us that at least one of the big Gulf Coast OSV operators is cutting 10% from exec pay and 5% from other shoreside personnel this year, plus layoffs this quarter.[/QUOTE]

I wish that’s all HOS was doing. People will be running to Tidewater when they get finished with cuts…

Ain’t nobody running to Turdwater it will be worse there…

Ohh I am sure people are running to Turdwater if they don’t have a job. Companies that don’t have a good reputation usually have no problem filling slots right now.

They don’t have enough vessels left in their domestic fleet to accommodate all these people laid off. They also are not building a bunch of new vessels like everyone else. The music has stopped and there aren’t enough chairs left.

I’m putting in an application with Lowes or Home Depot. We are all doomed.

Now is the time to jump on the Walmarx greeter job I’ve been eyeing for years…

http://www.moc.noaa.gov/shipjobs/

They do direct hiring now.

Has anybody actually heard of any real layoffs yet for OSV companies? It seems like everything is slowing down and there are a lot of boats in port but I haven’t heard of one actually layoff yet

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;153377]Has anybody actually heard of any real layoffs yet for OSV companies? It seems like everything is slowing down and there are a lot of boats in port but I haven’t heard of one actually layoff yet[/QUOTE]

I was talking to a guy on Facebook who had his rotation changed from 28/14 to 28/28 and he wasn’t happy about it because it was a pay cut he didn’t want. But he still had a job.

I’m not in oil and gas but there seems to be a ripple effect going on that is making other shipping jobs more competitive.

I’m sure some of the gulf guys will chime in, later.

many horsehead employees have been furloughed, have taken pay cuts, 401k match cut and travel pay cuts.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;153369]Now is the time to jump on the Walmarx greeter job I’ve been eyeing for years…[/QUOTE]

after me man! those are protected union jobs and you gotta be paisanos with the patrolman to get one. Pay your dues son and if you’re a good boy you might get a wink and a nod…someday!

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;153377]Has anybody actually heard of any real layoffs yet for OSV companies? It seems like everything is slowing down and there are a lot of boats in port but I haven’t heard of one actually layoff yet[/QUOTE]

People are certainly being furloughed which officially is not a layoff but not in regular rotation for work. I wonder if they get to claim UL benefits in Louisiana under that status?

[QUOTE=c.captain;153384]YES! People are being furloughed with officially is not a layoff but not in regular rotation for work. I wonder if they get to claim UL benefits in Louisiana under that status?[/QUOTE]

See, this is why I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago. I am in a similar spot in that neither of my two current employers have work for me until mid month. A person in this situation, technically employed but no work available should be able to draw UI. I have not tried it myself, but it may be worth while for a sole breadwinner or if you think you’ll be out of work for some time.

I have the email from the gov’t shutdown in 2013…where they explained to us how to file UI. I’ll see if I can find it.

[QUOTE=catherder;153379]I was talking to a guy on Facebook who had his rotation changed from 28/14 to 28/28 and he wasn’t happy about it because it was a pay cut he didn’t want.[/QUOTE]

all I can say is only in the GoM. With that superb logic why don’t y’all want to work five weeks on and one off or six on and one off? The possibilities are simply endless for how much one can make if you just don’t take any time off! FOOLS!

[QUOTE=c.captain;153386]only in the GoM![/QUOTE]

And he was bloody farcking straightfaced serious about it, too.

Meanwhile, I’m getting a month here and two weeks there, and lots of idle time in between.

Oy!

[QUOTE=catherder;153379]I was talking to a guy on Facebook who had his rotation changed from 28/14 to 28/28 and he wasn’t happy about it because it was a pay cut he didn’t want. But he still had a job.

I’m not in oil and gas but there seems to be a ripple effect going on that is making other shipping jobs more competitive.

I’m sure some of the gulf guys will chime in, later.[/QUOTE]

That’s why its good to try to live within your means I guess… I’m not in the gulf, but working for a gulf company. We weren’t/aren’t getting gulf wages here and do 14/7. I’d love equal time but it would be almost a 30k paycut yearly.

For what it’s worth, because of current GOM wages, a lot of guys were doing equal time already before being told to go equal time happened. It’s been pointed out many times on various posts, before the downswing, that equal time is somewhat common on GOM OSVs these days.

What will hurt is if a pay cut follows as well.

In my state you can collect to some extent if your hours are cut to a certain amount. Not sure how much but in that case in this state you could probably collect. You just have to call and see why they say, can’t hurt to apply in your case. They’re probably happy to talk to a hardworking person rather than their usual clientele.