Gulf of Mexico layoffs

No layoffs at my mid-size company, but we do have some boats (between 10 and 20 percent of our fleet) cold-stacked and entire crews without scheduled work. Our office seems to be trying to do everything they possibly can to keep people on the payroll, including offering even time on the working boats to get some of the guys now sitting at home some days with pay. Last month we were asked to limit supply requisitions to absolutely essential items only, this month the grocery budget took a hit (it’s still adequate). All measures described as temporary belt-tightening to get us through the downturn without cutting dayrates.

I expect some folks won’t be able to hang in there through the downturn and will bail for their B plans … anyone lucky/persistent/smart/hard-working/connected/tenured enough to hang on should have increased opportunity once we begin the climb out and boats go back to work.

[QUOTE=Ctony;153400]That’s why its good to try to live within your means I guess… I’m not in the gulf, but working for a gulf company. We weren’t/aren’t getting gulf wages here and do 14/7. I’d love equal time but it would be almost a 30k paycut yearly.

For what it’s worth, because of current GOM wages, a lot of guys were doing equal time already before being told to go equal time happened. It’s been pointed out many times on various posts, before the downswing, that equal time is somewhat common on GOM OSVs these days.

What will hurt is if a pay cut follows as well.[/QUOTE]

I’m living on less than half of what I made ashore and what the Mr. makes. It’s doable if you eliminate the frivolous spending. I hope this is the year that gets better as I inch closer to the motor license. If not, I’m going to go back to ship management.

For the guys down yonder it’s really got to suck especially if you’re the sole breadwinner.

The job market is still about as good as it ever has been for guys with licenses, experience, and good contacts, working outside of the Gulf.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=catherder;153450]I’m living on less than half of what I made ashore and what the Mr. makes. It’s doable if you eliminate the frivolous spending. I hope this is the year that gets better as I inch closer to the motor license. If not, I’m going to go back to ship management.

For the guys down yonder it’s really got to suck especially if you’re the sole breadwinner.[/QUOTE]

There are licensed and unlicensed engineer jobs available in the $400 to $600 per day range.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;153452]The job market is still about as good as it ever has been for guys with licenses, experience, and good contacts, working outside of the Gulf.

• Updated - - -

There are licensed and unlicensed engineer jobs available in the $400 to $600 per day range.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places then, because I’m striking out.

[QUOTE=catherder;153453]Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places then, because I’m striking out.[/QUOTE]

Hang in there Mz Cat…before you know it you’ll have a few options. When it rains it pores =)

[QUOTE=Ctony;153456]Hang in there Mz Cat…before you know if you’ll have a few options. When it rains it pores =)[/QUOTE]

One can only hope, lol. Got a lot of applications going out.

Engineers Wanted

Young Bros.
Premier Pacific Seafoods
Alaska Logistics

I just looked at Bouchard’s application.

They want to know if you’ve ever

-called a lawyer for an injury claim

-seen a doctor, including a psychiatrist in the last 10 years

-ever been treated for (list of) conditions, including “overweight”

Have you ever been overweight? Oh good grief. Yes, I admit it. I can’t stay away from the beer and Chex mix. Or chocolate. The humanity!

they don’t discriminate though, there are some fine specimens working there!

There is no shortage of big boys at most companies. Not on the boats or in the office.

[QUOTE=catherder;153459]One can only hope, lol. Got a lot of applications going out.[/QUOTE]

Good luck to you.

The big boys must have gotten in the door before the days of that bullshit “step test” then.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;153542]The big boys must have gotten in the door before the days of that bullshit “step test” then.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone uses the step test and for those that do, the test can range from very easy to fairly rigorous.

I think its true that many of the people hired a few years ago at some companies could not pass the current physicals. Usually, the bigger the company the worse it is.

Outside the Gulf it seems like just about everyone “passes” the physical. The physical is more to establish pre-hire condition in the event of a future injury, rather than to require a specific level of fitness.

yeah thats why they would just tie up all the boats and send everyone home. it better to work for some money then to sit with NO money.

Bouchard isn’t a bad place (for a Plan B). They have 6 week on and 3 week off rotations that help with the pay difference from the Gulf to the Northeast. Not great money but high for Northeast rates. Good equipment, so-so benefits and management is a bit odd (all the horror stories are indeed true). All in all, not a bad place to temporarily jump until this recent fiasco settles out. The best part, nobody will fault you for leaving!

They need people now. All areas.

[QUOTE=Tugted;153579]They need people now. All areas.[/QUOTE]

They’d probably get more if their application wasn’t so weird.

Then again, I guess I could swallow my pride and check the “yes, I am a fatass” box since there’s no hiding it

[QUOTE=catherder;153581]Then again, I guess I could swallow my pride and check the “yes, I am a fatass” box since there’s no hiding it[/QUOTE]

might I suggest Nutrisystem…sure worked awesome for Marie and Dan!

maybe Morty offers joining the plan as part if his fabulous benefits package?

btw, I think Marie is totally hot these days…not Lucy hot but still hot all the same!

I’d go through a month’s supply in a week.

See, what I really need is this

[QUOTE=catherder;153585]I’d go through a month’s supply in a week.

See, what I really need is this[/QUOTE]

NYET! This is the United States of America where you can eat all you want without any exercise and still be sexy and svelte! I know it is true because the TV told me so…