Are low gas prices really affecting offshore jobs?

I’m a fresh OS just spent all the time and money on sea school,twic, and mmd. I’m starting to look for jobs and I have a buddy that works for chouest telling me all kinds of people are getting layed off. But I have read on here where some people are saying the prices aren’t affecting it… I’m just really confused and wondering if il even have a chance at getting a job with all this stuff going on. It is also frustrating and stressful! All help and knowledge on this subject would be very helpful and appreciated!

In short yes. Now to what extent is the real question. I’m pretty sure some companies are just using the down turn as an excuse to pay less, and man vessels with less people. You can always find a job down here it just might be harder right now. It’s all about being in the right place at the right time.

I would certainly say that this is a very poor time to want to go to work in the GoM without a portfolio of certificates and years of experience. Far fewer OS jobs available to begin with since that is not a position that many vessels need more than one aboard and with the downturn in price and the layoffs already beginning, there will likely be AB’s with years in the GoM willing to sail OS as there will be masters willing to sail as a mate. If things get really black you’ll see masters willing to sail as an AB and mates sailing as an OS.

could happen…

Thanks for all input. I had a friend I made in sea school that was trying to get me on with blackwater diving said they were lookin for OS’s but I looked at they’re benefits and they weren’t the best so i was really looking to get on with a supply or crew boat company but if that’s all I can do until I can pile some certs up that’s what il have to do

It wasn’t unusual to see people trying for months and months (even years) to get hired in the GoM… even when companies weren’t cutting back… So your prospects now would be more difficult.

That being said, luck and timing have a lot to do with it. If you can afford to take a trip down and try knocking on some doors… you might get lucky and be in the right place at the right time.

If your budget is tight… and you NEED to be in a job in a short time period, I’m not sure you can count on the gulf to fill that need right now.

There certainly are other places in the country where you might fare better… but keep in mind, if the GoM bleeds a lot of higher qualified mariners… those jobs will also be likely to be filled by them. I would be looking asap…to try to get ahead of any waves of layoffs.

Yeah money is kinda tight after payin for classes and all I have the sea time to get my AB but my old cap is workin for chouest and is workin outta Brazil months at a time hard to catch up with I’m but I do have an in with some of the military boats down here may try to get on one of them

People are being fired and hired every week in the GOM. YES… Even during this time of $47 Bbl. oil prices. It is always harder to get a job in the winter and really hard to get a job with one of the big 3 as an OS anytime.

You may have to come down and find a job with one of the mom and pops and work up from there. Don’t think it can be done? Just read back at some of the posts made. You have tons of folks who are always going to be a naysayer. I can tell you though, send something in by computer is not going to get you a job during this time as an OS. If you can’t drive down and sleep in your car, if you have to, might as well wait until April.

Don’t give me that I don’t have the money to drive down BS either, It only cost $60 round trip. Next thing I know you will say you don’t have that but eat at Mickey D’s and go out to the bars or drink any alcohol as far as that matters.[B] What I’m saying is, if you want it you will find a way instead of an excuse.[/B]

Unemployment Insurance claims for oil field workers on the West Cost is up “Tremendously”. But… I don’t know what accountability the West Coast has with GOM.

Hi Zach, You are not alone I came out of pocket for twix, stcw, mmd and so on. I trued tug’s but no one would take me because I have no Drivers license I just resently got tirned down by the catering companies because backing is not my strong point . I can rost a lamb but bake bread, well not me. I do not know if it has anything to do with the low prices of gas or not.
Do not give up hope I haven’t yet. Some day this old cook may get a chance. And hopfuley a young OS also.

No driver’s license and applying for OSV jobs in the GOM oil patch is a serious shortcoming.

OSV companies (from what I’ve seen) do not spend money on shuttle services except for special occasions. None of them give a shit about zombified mariners driving and flying in from who knows where so they can jump in a POS van with worn out shocks driven by the “most rested” of the bunch. All so the company can save a few hundred bucks and have the van’s sleep-deprived employees get to Fourchon on time and then about half of those guys/gals will go right on watch. Fucking brilliant.

The Exxon Valdez grounding was bound to happen in N. America sooner or later, and it did.
A van load (7-10) of exhausted OSV mariners driven by the “most rested” of the same is bound to die in a fiery crash or drown in the canals of S. LA sooner or later (unless it already has and I just don’t know it).

Met a guy who flew in a day early just last month to rest before crew change. The office decided to start yanking extras off the boats (b/c they were starting to stack boats in Houma), so they called him up at the hotel and put him to work as a shuttle driver. He was probably in town for only an hour or two before he was given the keys and a list of boats to hit up in Fourchon. After 3hrs of driving down from MSY and driving around Fourchon, they sent him off to Houma to drop off/ pick up people at the shipyard, then they sent him back to MSY to drop off extras from the boats in Fourchon. Then he had to drive back to Fourchon the next morning for crew change. That’s probably what, 6-7hrs of driving…

His driver’s license is almost worth as much as his USCG license.

The real question is did the captain sign his over time sheet? Did he have to get the bosun and make a beef?

The sarcasm workers union local 123 shop steward traitoryankee will be filing a grievance on his behalf! What a blatant violation of his contractual rights!  

Johnny, I agree on the crew-change nonsense. I have it good in comparison but unfortunately they will always blame the mariner who could have said “no.”

Any of you guys familiar with rest hour tracking software see any way this could be factored in?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;152103]The real question is did the captain sign his over time sheet? Did he have to get the bosun and make a beef?[/QUOTE]

You clearly have not read the SIU rag in a while…

Always thanks to steward’s dept for a great job, no beefs or disputed OT, crew wants a new TV for the crew lounge, and continued pleas for a better pension plan and more company IRA contributions.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;152110]The sarcasm workers union local 123 shop steward traitoryankee will be filing a grievance on his behalf! What a blatant violation of his contractual rights!

Johnny, I agree on the crew-change nonsense. I have it good in comparison but unfortunately [B][I][U]they will always blame the mariner who could have said “no.”[/U][/I][/B]

Any of you guys familiar with rest hour tracking software see any way this could be factored in?[/QUOTE]

so true! sad, but true.

Kind of like getting injured on the job performing a task they (office) expect you to do. However, when all the cards are on the table, all they want to know is why was an officer (mgmt) in the trenches as opposed to supervising with a clip board and white gloves from afar.

As far as work hrs go… don’t see how it could. Until you are aboard, you are not a mariner and therefore not subject to STCW.

regarding oil patch crew changes… I’m not sure who has it worse OSVs or MODUs/RIgs. Crew change van shennanigans are certainly a bit better (but obviously more dangerous) than being held hostage at places like Chevron Bristow Heliport in Galliano from 0500 onward constantly being told (just like everybody else)… “you guys are on the next chopper out …”

But there’s the double edged sword… driving the crew van from MSY to Lake Charles Heliport for 0500, getting shined on till 1500, then being told, just drive on to Galveston because the boat never left the dock. Hey, what the hell! If it wasn’t dangerous enough this morning, what’s another 2-3 hrs on the road???

The GOM is NOT the only place where mariners work. To all of you green, wet behind the ears, no experience people…look at Tug and barge companies for cryin’ out loud. And it is a TWIC card not a candy bar. There is a thread that A Chateau on the Bayou has been posting on for a looooong time with a weekly play by play of GOM hiring and shit. Check it out. The thread is like ESPN and the weekly highlights of the oil patch. If you really want to work send your paperwork Bouchard transportation in NY. They actually hire OS’s. Good luck and stay safe out there.

HOLY SHIT!!

There are some happy sailors on this Forum if the old say " A bitching sailor is a happy sailor. "

Maybe I should just stop going to the Mess Deck and bitch because the cook doesn’t bring the food to my room.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;152138]HOLY SHIT!!

There are some happy sailors on this Forum if the old say " A bitching sailor is a happy sailor. "

Maybe I should just stop going to the Mess Deck and bitch because the cook doesn’t bring the food to my room.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you have a cook?

Must be nice. I’m the Captain & Cook on here, but hey, right now I’m just grateful to be employed!

Hay I can bring the food to your room or the brige and cook it also.
Only thing is I can not drive it there.

There are quite a few boats sitting in fourchon day after day without moving but that will change when the spring comes and weather is good. It gets like this every year down here. Also, like someone said before, people get fired and hired every day down here, its still possible to get on somewhere but you have to come down here and knock on doors and do the leg work!

[QUOTE=AB Murph;152138]HOLY SHIT!!

Maybe I should just stop going to the Mess Deck and bitch because the cook doesn’t bring the food to my room.[/QUOTE]

You need to get the Masters position. Then the cooks will start delivering. If not, you are working on the wrong boat.