Grandfathering deadline

With regards to the upcoming sea service grandfathering deadline of 2017, I am trying to figure out exactly what the cutoff is. I.e. does one need to be approved to test, have successfully completed testing, or have a license issued by the USCG by the end of 2016? The consensus from the schooling staff I’ve asked is that “approved to test” by the end of this year will be sufficient, but I would like to be sure. Any insight into the official word on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Have you asked the NMC? Do it by email, so you have an answer in writing.

It’s an application deadline, not an approval deadline.

[QUOTE=Tymerwin;176623]With regards to the upcoming sea service grandfathering deadline of 2017, I am trying to figure out exactly what the cutoff is. I.e. does one need to be approved to test, have successfully completed testing, or have a license issued by the USCG by the end of 2016? The consensus from the schooling staff I’ve asked is that “approved to test” by the end of this year will be sufficient, but I would like to be sure. Any insight into the official word on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.[/QUOTE]

See question no. 18: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/faq/pdfs/stcw_faqs_2_grandfathering_transition_effective_dates.pdf

Being “approved to test” is not really relevant. There are no tests for STCW endorsements, and since you don’t have to meet STCW to qualify for any national endorsement (license), it’s possible to be approved for a license and not for the STCW endorsement. So if you were approved to test for a national endorsement but were not approved for an STCW endorsement, you would not have met the deadline for STCW.

Thank you much, Mr Cavo.