GOOD EFFING LORD...what is this "THING"?

first the X-Bow and now this…why in the hell are the Norwegians trying to turn the offshore industry into Star Wars? I mean this thing looks like an Imperial Empire Star Cruiser!

[B]Rolls-Royce and Island Offshore Prep for Heavy Weather with New Ship Design[/B]

Rolls-Royce and Norwegian ship owner Island Offshore have announced today a rather unique new vessel design they’ve been quietly working on, the UT 777.

Designed for top hole drilling, subsea inspection, maintenance and repair (IMR), and well intervention work, this vessel will also be ice-classed and particularly suited for working in really nasty weather.

In a phone call with Håvard Ulstein, CEO of Island Offshore, he notes the 169 x 28 meter vessel will be capable of working everywhere. It features a partially covered main deck and fully covered moonpool and drilling/intervention tower in order to protect workers from the elements.

In addition to the design and engineering package, Rolls-Royce will also supply the major systems, comprising the propulsion system with six generator sets and seven electrically run thrusters, control and automation systems, mooring and anchoring deck machinery and electric systems. Rolls-Royce notes the total contract value with Island Offshore is around £25 million.

The two ROVs on board will be deployed through the moonpool in order to protect the vehicles in rough weather.

When working on a subsea well deep below the ship, vessel motions, particularly heave motions, can limit the operational window of well intervention vessels such as the UT 777. Ulstein notes that they’ve mitigated this issue by designing a larger ship (169 meters) with an optimized hull form and by locating the moonpool and helipad farther aft, as compared to similar-type vessels.

The vessel is scheduled to be delivered in 2017 from Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Japan.

John Knudsen, Rolls-Royce, President – Offshore said: “This new design is based on many years of operating experience, especially from the vessel Island Wellserver which we designed in 2005. The UT 777 will be unlike anything seen before, and marks the latest chapter in the story of the Rolls-Royce UT Design vessels which have been pioneering oil and gas exploration for the past 40 years.”

please someone tell me it is a joke?

There’s plenty not to like about the Norwegians in this business, why should this be any different? I’m not really sure I understand what this damn thing does anyway.

What is hard to understand? Norway is preparing to move the bulk of the oil industry north and need ships that can withstand bad weather much better.

tell me that ship doesn’t resemble this?

but doesn’t matter because your opinion doesn’t count…you’re just one of em

I think it is pretty wild and would love the opportunity to work on something this unique and built with forward thinking.

[QUOTE=c.captain;129297]tell me that ship doesn’t resemble this?

but doesn’t matter because your opinion doesn’t count…you’re just one of em[/QUOTE]
F*ck you are on track of us!

Yes we are the Galactic Empire and im just a Sith trying to infiltrate this forum.

[QUOTE=The Commodore;129298]I think it is pretty wild and would love the opportunity to work on something this unique and built with forward thinking.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you’re not Norwegian. Or are you? “We don’t take kindly to your types 'round here!”

[video=youtube_share;M0xPIpGhVEI]http://youtu.be/M0xPIpGhVEI[/video]

Now, calm down there ‘Skeeter, he ain’t hurtin’ no body.

I will say that it has been a very long time since any offshore vessel was contracted to be built in a Japanese yard. In fact, I can’t remember the last one. Was it Maersk?

I see now that the “Ship” is build after the MOU and as suchs is a floating facility. It’s going to have DP-3 and ICE-1b.

Wonder if the name was ironic choice? A floating facility called the Navigator! :smiley:

[QUOTE=c.captain;129301]I will say that it has been a very long time since any offshore vessel was contracted to be built in a Japanese yard. In fact, I can’t remember the last one. Was it Maersk?[/QUOTE]
http://www.skipsrevyen.no/pgs-names-its-second-ramform-titan-class-vessel/

[QUOTE=Kraken;129304]http://www.skipsrevyen.no/pgs-names-its-second-ramform-titan-class-vessel/[/QUOTE]

GOOD EFFING LORD!

another class of Imperial Empire Star Cruiser

I think these new construction vessels look pretty neat and would love to be able to work on something so new. This coming from a greenhorn use to old reforbished tugs.

I sure do miss the Bollinger built/designed Cheramie Bo Trucks. A simple yet beautiful to look at boat. The Halter designs of the old days were also pleasing, this stuff is terrible. IMO.

CC,

You’re just jealous of Norwegian Vader’s new ride because he’s probably going to ride around the GOM, but never employ a single one of us.

But can it make the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs? That is what we need to be asking!

Looks pretty normal “modern” design to me.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;129366]But can it make the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs? That is what we need to be asking![/QUOTE]

If CC was a character on SW, would he be the old shriveled emperor or the Rancor monster?

I’m thinking more along the lines of jar jar bink’s king

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;129376]I’m thinking more along the lines of jar jar bink’s king[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of that possibility, but CC’s threads alone would rip Boss Nass a new blowhole faster than you can say ‘KP.’

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;129330]I sure do miss the Bollinger built/designed Cheramie Bo Trucks. A simple yet beautiful to look at boat. The Halter designs of the old days were also pleasing, this stuff is terrible. IMO.[/QUOTE]

You’re about the only one saying that. Look at the flack that was given with HOS’s new builds.