Golden Bear Living Quarters

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had a pic or two of the TSGB’s living quarters. I know they’re small, but not sure how small. Never did get a chance to see them when visiting the campus. I don’t want to pack any extra junk that I won’t have space for.

Thanks!:slight_smile:

Your last sentence is the key. Don’t pack anything you don’t need. Cramming enough stuff for a 2 month cruise into those rooms is hard enough. I can’t imagine living with someone in there for half the year.

Walk in a 10 foot square and picture a full size locker…that’s your room.

The room I share with the oiler here on my present ship is 8 * 10. That’s about the size of a prison cell. And the space has lockers, bunks, a desk and TV cabinet. One of us has to step out for the other to dress for work.

10 * 10 sounds downright luxurious.

Rooms are very small. Pack a sea bag… That’s about it. I don’t know which rooms they make you live in, but some are a smaller than others. even so they are all small. Plus since the bear won’t be back in time, who knows where you will be living when the semester starts.

It depends which room you are put in. If it’s one of those newer rooms that replaced the lounges, then you’ll only have enough room for a small backpack’s worth of stuff. If you’re in one of the outer rooms, then you’ll have enough room for about two seabag’s worth of stuff, unless you’re sharing the room in which case only pack one seabag’s worth of stuff.

I went to TMA, but sailed on the Golden Bear before and after they put in those newer rooms. I have no idea what rooms they normally place cadets in for the normal school year.

I appreciate everyone’s responses. Lean and mean it will be.

[QUOTE=socalguy;117810]Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had a pic or two of the TSGB’s living quarters. I know they’re small, but not sure how small. Never did get a chance to see them when visiting the campus. I don’t want to pack any extra junk that I won’t have space for.

Thanks!:)[/QUOTE]
I dont have a any pictures but do know that if you have a inside room you should be by yourself and the outside is 2 people on cruise all rooms have 3. There are 3 lockers and 3 bunks. We used the 3rd bunk for storage of luggage and sea bags all the room also will have 3 or four drawers. i think it was 4 one of which is supposed to be for lifejackets but they wont be in the room when you are at the pier. also on the ship 4 people share 1 bathroom really we never had a problem with space

Quick packing question: Should I take an iron? The CMA ‘what to bring’ lists were a bit vague on this.

Thanks!

An iron? Really?

It was on one of their lists, though not on others. Hence the confusion.

Some other goober will have one, I never ironed anything at all. Remember Causal Maritime Academy.

Thanks for the heads up!

I don’t recall ironing anything at KP. Come to think of it, I don’t recall ironing anything. I think that my girlfriend will sometimes iron a shirt collar now and then, but I like the frumpy look. . . .

Yeah I never ironed my uniform at CMA. I just didn’t let my uniform sit in a wadded pile before putting it on.

Funny about the iron… My wife was all over sending Junior with one… I told her the same thing: I can’t remember ironing anything back in my day and that some dork will have one you can use…