Mariner Hall

Heard some interesting news today. Apparently Colonel is meeting with some higher ups and Mariner Hall is going to be tore down. A new dorm is to be built in its stead with room for all of the corps. Just want to get some opinions and thoughts from other cadets at TMA.

Angle of Loll, they need to burn that building to the ground. The mold infested, rotting building is long past due for destruction.

I figured if enough work orders were put in on the building they would have to let upperclassmen live off campus, because there wouldn’t be any other place for cadets to live. I definitely do not mind going to this school, it might have the cheapest tuition for a license, but we are all getting hosed on housing.

They have been talking about tearing that building down and putting up dorms for just the corps for along time now. The building is long overdue for being torn down. I have no doubt they were really hoping that Ike would have taken it off its slab. I remember being a sophomore and they were going to build dorms down near the ship for the corps.

Whatever they do, they need to make it with a lot of study rooms. Would be nice to have your engineering or deck friends only a few steps away for help studying instead of spread out all over campus, competing with the other majors for rooms.

That was the first dorm built at TAMUG, right?

Lone__Star I agree 100% all license option cadets should have their own study rooms. I think that should be brought up to Colonel for the plans. Even if it is not done while I am at school here it would be a great asset for future cadets. I do believe Mariner or “C” dorm was the first built on campus and that it was only meant to be temporary.

[QUOTE=SomalianRoadCorporation;107986]That was the first dorm built at TAMUG, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;107983]Whatever they do, they need to make it with a lot of study rooms. Would be nice to have your engineering or deck friends only a few steps away for help studying instead of spread out all over campus, competing with the other majors for rooms.[/QUOTE]

The school could definitely use more study areas now that the intake of freshman on the course to college station has increased

[QUOTE=SomalianRoadCorporation;107986]That was the first dorm built at TAMUG, right?[/QUOTE]

No, It was built after Oceans and Hullabaloo Halls. Apparently those are built much better though, the design of having an inner hallway and doors have helped keep moisture and mold out, unlike mariner.

[QUOTE=“Lone_Star;108011”]

No, It was built after Oceans and Hullabaloo Halls. Apparently those are built much better though, the design of having an inner hallway and doors have helped keep moisture and mold out, unlike mariner.[/QUOTE]

The campus is pretty nice if you ask me. The sulfur loading docks should be gone fairly soon due to new EPA gasoline regs.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;108011]No, It was built after Oceans and Hullabaloo Halls. Apparently those are built much better though, the design of having an inner hallway and doors have helped keep moisture and mold out, unlike mariner.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, although if you compare the buildings, you would never think that.

It is pretty decent, though many upgrades have taken place recently. New stuff includes training vessels (tug and barges, etc), new simulator (renovating this summer), new dorms, and an improvement in the mart facilities. The rudder has been getting some upgrades, and the implementation of an organized small boat training program (integrated with maintenance) with full time staff this semester has been welcomed as well. Having Captain Putty put in charge this semester fresh out of the industry has really helped some of the training come together.

Now the encroachment of fuel storage tanks next to campus, the mosquito plagues, toxic water, sulfur smell, and ravenous coyotes (Stay vigilant!) running around is another issue all together.