Global Industries

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-09-12/technip-buys-global-industries-for-937-million-in-cash.html

I wonder if they will keep all their American Mariners. I hope they do!! We don’t need to lose any more jibs to foreign mariners!

Aren’t most of their offshore vessels flagged out, anyway?

Yes! But they have the two boats in the gulf of Mexico (Global Orion and Global 1200) crewed up with Americans.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out with the Technip acquisition. Technip has the Deep Blue and she is not crewed with American Mariners as far as I know. And the Global 1200 is supposed to be heading to Mexico for work.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but Technip is a French company, so even though the vessel is working in the GOM, she would not be required to have American crew. Now when it was Global, being that Global is a US company, and the vessel is working in the GOM, it was required for American mariners…

All vessels working in the US Gulf of Mexico are req’d to have US mariners OR have letter of exemption from the USCG. This being said there are law firms that specialize in “getting a letter of exemption” for a fee… I think that it will get tougher to letters but they will still exist as there are not enough qualified US mariners to crew all the vessels… We need to call Bull when there are bogus practices like post job postings (Helix) and (Veola)

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;55296]It will be very interesting to see how this plays out with the Technip acquisition. Technip has the Deep Blue and she is not crewed with American Mariners as far as I know. And the Global 1200 is supposed to be heading to Mexico for work.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but Technip is a French company, so even though the vessel is working in the GOM, she would not be required to have American crew. Now when it was Global, being that Global is a US company, and the vessel is working in the GOM, it was required for American mariners…[/QUOTE]

The question I have is if Technip can operate as a business in the US without being incorporated here? Veolia is also French but it had to be a US corp and thus was obligated to have a US citizen manning for the KINGFISHER although they were able to BS the Federal Government to allow them a foreign crew for years… I do know that the USCG is not giving out the manning waivers like they used to so I actually expect the US crews on the G1200 and GLOBAL ORION to stay.

[QUOTE=c.captain;55300]The question I have is if Technip can operate as a business in the US without being incorporated here? Veolia is also French but it had to be a US corp and thus was obligated to have a US citizen manning for the KINGFISHER although they were able to BS the Federal Government to allow them a foreign crew for years… I do know that the USCG is not giving out the manning waivers like they used to so I actually expect the US crews on the G1200 and GLOBAL ORION to stay.[/QUOTE]

I conducted an audit last year on the Kingfisher and there was only one American bridge officer. All the remaining were scattered all over. Not sure if has changed. I was was on her about 1 year ago.

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;55307]I conducted an audit last year on the Kingfisher and there was only one American bridge officer. All the remaining were scattered all over. Not sure if has changed. I was was on her about 1 year ago.[/QUOTE]

Just fyi CaptRob1 but Veolia shutdown their GoM operations a couple of months ago…something about a missing $100M or so

They did not shut down operations because I am working on the Normand Pacific now as a client rep, which is chartered to Violia. They are trying to sell off the Marine side. No buyers yet. Violia has the Offshore Manager, along with riggers and things as this. But there is alot of uncertainty as to what will happen now.

Yes! But they have the two boats in the gulf of Mexico