Foreign Flgged Vessels and Crews working in the GOM

I know this has been discussed before and after searching for a while I have not been able to locate the thread.

Can any one direct me to the thread or tell me how to access archived threads

[QUOTE=snafubarr;129433]I know this has been discussed before and after searching for a while I have not been able to locate the thread.

Can any one direct me to the thread or tell me how to access archived threads[/QUOTE]

Type something like this into google

foreign gom site:gcaptain.com

Ccaptain has an informative, detailed article on the internet about FOC foreign manned vessels operating on USA OCS posted on blog somewhere. It is LONG but very good.

I honestly can’t remember where it was or how I found it, but it is absolutely worth your time.

Or you can just come down to Galveston and ask the NORMAND PACIFIC or LEWEK CONNECTOR what they are doing here and why there are no Americans abd.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;129438]
Or you can just come down to Galveston and ask the NORMAND PACIFIC or LEWEK CONNECTOR what they are doing here and why there are no Americans abd.[/QUOTE]
Let me wildly guess that they are providing a service that is not available locally?

[QUOTE=Kraken;129446]Let me wildly guess that they are providing a service that is not available locally?[/QUOTE]

EFF YOU! There are plenty of US vessels that can do the same work. Oceaneering, Chouest, Hornbeck and HGIM all have vessels that are big enough and AMERICAN FLAGGED and MANNED!

OUT WITH THE FOREIGN INTERLOPERS FROM THE AMERICAN GULF of MEXICO!

So why are they in the GOM then? The ships are not cheaper to operate then a American :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=snafubarr;129433]I know this has been discussed before and after searching for a while I have not been able to locate the thread.

Can any one direct me to the thread or tell me how to access archived threads[/QUOTE]

the single biggest thread on the subject is here:
Fighting against foreign mariners in the GoM

bon appetit

here is that blog I had started but never kept adding to…I really am very deficient here but I guess I figured it wasn’t going to lead to anything so quit making new entries. That was wrong because the problem remains and us American Mariners are still losing work over this giveaway

[QUOTE=Kraken;129449]So why are they in the GOM then? The ships are not cheaper to operate then a American :)[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the short brown deckhands I see across the way are making $400 a day like the ABs I work with?

If so, pass me some of that salmon you’re smoking.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;129470]Do you really think the short brown deckhands I see across the way are making $400 a day like the ABs I work with?

If so, pass me some of that salmon you’re smoking.[/QUOTE]
Does a AB make $146000 a year?

[QUOTE=Kraken;129446]Let me wildly guess that they are providing a service that is not available locally?[/QUOTE]

The Normand Pacific was on a flotell job for Shell, not very complicated work, and nothing that some of the US flag stuff couldn’t handle.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;129475]The Normand Pacific was on a flotell job for Shell, not very complicated work, and nothing that some of the US flag stuff couldn’t handle.[/QUOTE]
Yes that does not sound very complicated, strange that they waste a ship like that on a flotell job.

[QUOTE=Kraken;129473]Does a AB make $146000 a year?[/QUOTE]

Since you already know from the other thread you are posting to that typical GOM work is 242 days, then you should also know 242 x 400 is not 146000.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;129478]Since you already know from the other thread you are posting to that typical GOM work is 242 days, then you should also know 242 x 400 is not 146000.[/QUOTE]
Yes you are right, of course.

[QUOTE=Kraken;129481]Yes you are right, of course.[/QUOTE]

What kind of schedule do you usually work in Norway?

Out here on an anadarko project we have two foreign flagged pipe layers. Technip’s Deep Energy and I haven’t found out the name of the other one. Meanwhile the Global 1200 ( Vanutau flagged, american crewed) is providing flotel services for the SPAR and Global Orion (Vanuatu flagged, american crewed) is doing ROV survey support. While I am a big proponent in keeping jobs here in United States, I don’t think there are any US based companies that have pipe laying vessels with capabilities needed for big jobs that are not foreign flagged or crewed.

If they stopped granting waivers that would change awful quick!

Reckon you’re correct. Why don’t Mista Gary have one…or ten?

I agree. I would like to be on one of those high tech pipe laying boats. At least two of the three Technip boats have Americans on it out here.

That’s a good question. I don’t see why more of these companies don’t make a concerted push to dominate that section of the domestic market. My only thoughts being that the American owned, crewed vessels could possibly be less likely to gain work overseas. However vessels like the Blue Orca put that out of my mind.