Genesis/Chouest Tugs

Heard a rumor that Genesis (the energy company that bought Hornbecks old tugs and barges) have purchased Chouest’s entire ship-assist fleet. Is this true or is Chouest still operating their own ship assist tugs?

I heard through a couple of guys at Genesis, that Hornbeck wanted to buy the tugs back. Seeing how Hornbeck put all the eggs in one basket and that bag aint holding as many eggs, that would make sense to me. Just out of curiosity I compared Hornbeck and Genesis stock…Hornbeck $19 and Genesis $44.

That would be extremely interesting. Does chouest have many assist tugs other than the ones in san diego?

Kings Bay, GA and Mayport, FL for sure

plus golden pass and sabine pass LNG?

I haven’t heard that rumor and I doubt there is any substance to it. All of the eggs aren’t in one basket either.

There are about 25 all together in different ports across the country

Chouest is not in financial distress. I would expect them to be buying more boats cheap from struggling companies, not selling cash cows on long term contracts. On the other hand, they have some tugboats listed for sale with Marcon.

Genesis is a huge company in the oil transportation business with many lines of business, including pipelines. I do not know much about Genesis, but my impression is that they are much much bigger than Chouest and Hornbeck put together. I cannot see why Genesis would want to reverse course on the former Hornbeck tugs, nor do I see why they would want to acquire ship docking tugs.

Those are laid up in Tampa & for sale on Marcon. Glad I didn’t take that job when Nikki was hounding me.

Not all of them. Just lost a damn good AB to take an open spot on the Sabine pass tugs

oh yeah he sold those jobs HARD to a lot of guys…I know.

Some guy had videos on Facebook with him saying it was his first time and had never done it before but was running captain? Terrible video of him trying to come alongside an Lng. Not something I’d advertise, personally. I think the same guy wore some whacky “captains” hat???

In my experience they thought nothing of taking a guy of an anchor handler and tossing him on one of those tractors to do a job because they were in a pinch and needed a MOTV.

They both need a towing endorsement, what’s the difference right?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;157266]In my experience they thought nothing of taking a guy of an anchor handler and tossing him on one of those tractors to do a job because they were in a pinch and needed a MOTV.

They both need a towing endorsement, what’s the difference right?[/QUOTE]

that simple statement nails ECO and the AIVIQ right on its fat bloated head. They even had their own sooper dooper “towing master” sailing third captain. The ship was simply overflowing with towing experts in December 2012. The results speak for Chouest’s infinite wisdom.

and people wonder why my stick has an extra sharp point on it where that great company is concerned.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;157266]In my experience they thought nothing of taking a guy of an anchor handler and tossing him on one of those tractors to do a job because they were in a pinch and needed a MOTV.

They both need a towing endorsement, what’s the difference right?[/QUOTE]

We know from AIVIQ putting KULLUK on the rocks that Chouest thinks nothing of sending of sending the wrong people to the wrong job.