Fruit Boats

What’s the skinny on the fruit boats these days? What companies are out there, who hires Americans, where do they sail, and what’s the hiring practices like (MMP, AMO, MEBA, etc…)??? I’ve heard of Dole and Chiquita but there my knowledge of fruit ships ends. Shout out if you have the inside scoop!

There’s also Del Monte. There are steady fruit ships aka banana boats that run from central/south america to port hueneme, san diego and LA/LB harbors. I have yet to see one that isn’t foreign flag. That’s the word from south of pt conception.

A friend of mine once worked for one of the fruit companies, The ships were all foreign flag. Why would any owner want to flag US? Its not a Jones Act trade.

Hawaii to Cali?

Reefer container for that trade I'd imagine, so matson etc.

Chile/South America west coast to east coast ports like Philly, Wilmington DE. “Fruiters,” quick turnarounds and spider fumigations.

[QUOTE=z-drive;147610]Reefer container for that trade I’d imagine, so matson etc.

Chile/South America west coast to east coast ports like Philly, Wilmington DE. “Fruiters,” quick turnarounds and spider fumigations.[/QUOTE]

A lot of those other Dole, Chiquita, Del Monte boats that I’ve seen every once in a blue moon seem to be refer container boats anyway.

Hawaii is mostly sugar cane which is processed into either dry bulk or molasses and shipped by barge. Salmon Bay Tug and Barge has an old single screw tug towing a 400’ molasses barge on a Maui to Stockton run. There use to be, maybe still is, a large dry bulk barge “Hawaii” running to the coast. Sause Bros. Is probably moving some of it too. I think pineapple production is way off. That is probably mostly shipped by container on Matson.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147611]A lot of those other Dole, Chiquita, Del Monte boats that I’ve seen every once in a blue moon seem to be refer container boats anyway.[/QUOTE]

I believe that Chiquita was recently purchased by a company in Brazil.

[QUOTE=Ctony;147605]There’s also Del Monte. There are steady fruit ships aka banana boats that run from central/south america to port hueneme, san diego and LA/LB harbors. I have yet to see one that isn’t foreign flag. That’s the word from south of pt conception.[/QUOTE]

Del Monte has a reefer container vessel that comes to Galveston every Sunday.

No americanos though?

No, proudly flying the Liberian flag usually. They hit up Gulfport too, used to go to Bridgeport CT but that ended a few years ago.

What if I put a fruit basket on my head, get a boob job, and sing the Chiquita banana song?

I would say shut the fuck up, you’re drunk.

You know, they dont dance like Carmen no more.

[QUOTE=z-drive;147671]I would say shut the fuck up, you’re drunk.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it!

Chiquita boats used to run in and out of Freeport, Texas, and may still. All foreign flag. Not sure if any are reefers, many use Nitrogen to inert the containers during the trip and then add CO2 to ripen when closer to market. It has been some time since I have been down there to see what is moving in and out.

There is a Dole ship that runs into San Diego every two weeks I believe. I was interested in knowing how to get employed as it would be a pretty nice run, but they are all foreign flagged. Dole uses Bahamian flag.