The New Cuban Trade

Well boys, what’s the rumpus on this topic? We’ve all seen the headlines about new ferry services starting up but what about the cargo that doesn’t talk? Cuba is desperately poor so I don’t see us sending much cargo down there because who would buy it? I guess there’s always PL-480 food aid but the damn commies seem to want to send cash instead of food, and increasingly less so on American bottoms anyway, but that’s another story for another thread. What other cargo exchanges might we expect to take place in the near future? I guess they could always export tobacco. Do they grow sugar cane? Do they have anything else worth exporting?

Who wants to go in halfsies with me on a boat and start a little tramp trade from Miami to Havana?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;165826]Do they have anything else worth exporting?[/QUOTE]

Tons of 1940’s and 50’s classic cars that are still running.

[QUOTE=civmar;165830]Tons of 1940’s and 50’s classic cars that are still running.[/QUOTE]

New show on discover channel (Cuban Chrome) Monday nights repairing old cars cool show.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;165826]Do they grow sugar cane? Do they have anything else worth exporting?[/QUOTE]

I believe that island’s economy was/is based entirely on sugar cane.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;165826]Who wants to go in halfsies with me on a boat and start a little tramp trade from Miami to Havana?[/QUOTE]

Would there be enough of a market in the US for Cuban sugar? If so, I’d seriously consider it. I believe the Feds still subsidize American sugar cane so it is competitive with imports but we could probably get it really cheap from Cuba…

It’s all in the marketing. If you play it right cuban sugar-cane could be as valuable any of that other foo-foo shee-shee BS they import from god-knows-where because hipsters and hippies (many of whom have trust funds, mind you) will pay a king’s ransom by the gram for it. Peruvian quinois, African coffee, you name it… It’s no better than any of the other stuff we have around here but it sure does sound nice, doesn’t it?

But forget Cuban exports, the real money is in big fat government contracts for things like food-aid, etc… Where do we get a piece of that action?

Plenty of rum maybe.