Fighting with the NMC...is there a laywer in the house?

Has anyone on here ever had to fight with the Coast Guard NMC? I just applied for my 3rd Assistant Engineer’s license and some %#$%@%# at the NMC states that for them to credit me for my sea service in the Navy to be counted towards my license, I have to show them that I have EOOW letters on both of the ships I am on and they gave me reference CFR 46 2.13. Do they actually read the CFR that they are referencing to me? Do they know that a EOOW designation on a conventional carrier as an Electrician’s Mate 2nd class is impossible to obtain? …And an EOOW designation on a destroyer is a rarity as an EM2? Here is what the CFR states:

“In order to be eligible for a master’s or chief engineer’s unlimited officer endorsement, the applicant must have acquired military service in the capacity of commanding officer or engineer officer, respectively.”

AND

“(b) Service in deck ratings on military vessels such as seaman apprentice, seaman, boatswain’s mate, quartermaster, or radarman are considered deck service for the purposes of this part. Service in other ratings may be considered if the applicant establishes that his or her duties required a watchstanding presence on or about the bridge of a vessel. Service in engineer ratings on military vessels such as fireman apprentice, fireman, engineman, machinists, mate, machinery technician or boiler tender are considered engineer service for the purposes of this part. [U][I][B]There are also other ratings such as electrician, hull technician, or damage controlman which may be credited then the applicant establishes that his or her duties required watchstanding duties in an operating engine room.”
[/B][/I][/U]
I am not sure how you read this, but I read this as all I have to do is prove that I stood watch in the engine room to have my sea service credited for my 3rd engineer’s license. Also, I am not applying for a chief engineer’s unlimited officer endorsement.

Has anyone ever had any similar experiences and what did you do? Can someone give me some ideas on how to resolve this issue? I really want to take my tests and get my license.

Thanks in advance,

Martilyo

What the NMC is giving you grief? I just don’t believe it, I just don’t, you have to be mistaken or something. They would never do anything like that. This is the guvment you are speaking of you know!!!

[QUOTE=Martilyo;93629] I read this as all I have to do is prove that I stood watch in the engine room to have my sea service credited for my 3rd engineer’s license. [/QUOTE]

Then do just that and stop whining about it.

BTW, it is not “your” license until it has your name on it.

This is one of those special situations (military seatime) where it might be worthwhile to pay a couple hundred dollars to one of the right license consultants to help you. Search license consultants – there are several that have been mentioned on here.

Mr Andy Hammond, best money Ive ever spent. Have a few guys on the boat here upgrading, " I know the rules and the paperwork" then the NMC breaks it off in them, mine was a little tricky this time with so much paperwork for the license and endorsements, he really did a stand up job.

I was EM1 at discharge and wasn’t asked for EOOW letters (also understand that I served in the realm of 25 years ago, how many women were EOOW qualified?) so maybe you have an evaluator who has misinterpreted the regs, or maybe you didn’t send enough information? I don’t know. Yes, by all means, contact Andy Hammond or one of the other licensing consultants (use search function) to help you. If you don’t have a copy of all of your evals, which should have your duties recorded in detail including watch stations, write to Millington (Naval Records) and get a copy of your service record. Be advised that this may take some time. It took me three months to get a sea service letter. Make and keep copies of everything.
Keep cool and don’t blow your stack, let your licensing consultant take the lead and you will get there, not to worry.

[QUOTE=Steamer;93674]BTW, it is not “your” license until it has your name on it.[/QUOTE]

Technically it is never “your” license…It’s the Coast Guard’s license, and they can take it back any time they want it. They just let you use it.

It appears the CFR is establishing engineering watch standing competence by requiring you to submit qualification letters. This way some wannabe engineer can’t just submit for a 3rds license without actually standing a watch. Just by merely being in the military and being assigned to the engineering department does not entitle you to a ticket. Prove to the NMC you deserve to be authorized to test and forward your qual letters. If you don’t have them, stop you’re whining and get qualified.

Maybe you should re-read my post to get a clue. The NMC is wanting me to provide letters that I am EOW/EOOW qualified to credit my Navy sea service towards MY license. The CFR does not state that I need to be EOW/EOOW qualified, only that I need to establish that my watch standing duties were in the engine room, in which I did provide documentation. To make it clear to you, I am not whining, I am asking the forum group here if they have had similar experiences with the incompetence of the NMC and their advice on what I should do. BTW, stop being a troll, if you cannot help or have some sort of positive advice, then it would be better for everyone if you don’t even comment.

[QUOTE=Steamer;93674]Then do just that and stop whining about it.

BTW, it is not “your” license until it has your name on it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should re-read my post to get a clue. The NMC is wanting me to provide letters that I am EOW/EOOW qualified to credit my Navy sea service towards MY license. The CFR does not state that I need to be EOW/EOOW qualified, only that I need to establish that my watch standing duties were in the engine room, in which I did provide documentation. To make it clear to you, I am not whining, I am asking the forum group here if they have had similar experiences with the incompetence of the NMC and their advice on what I should do. BTW, stop being a troll, if you cannot help or have some sort of positive advice, then it would be better for everyone if you don’t even comment.

[QUOTE=Scallywag;93730]It appears the CFR is establishing engineering watch standing competence by requiring you to submit qualification letters. This way some wannabe engineer can’t just submit for a 3rds license without actually standing a watch. Just by merely being in the military and being assigned to the engineering department does not entitle you to a ticket. Prove to the NMC you deserve to be authorized to test and forward your qual letters. If you don’t have them, stop you’re whining and get qualified.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I did not make it clear in my original post. The CFR only states that I need to prove that I stood watch in the engine room to have my sea service credited. They are wanting EOOW letters that are not required by the CFR. They are only required if I am applying for my Chief Engineer’s unlimited license. I am not whining, I am complaining that the people in the NMC are incompetent and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem I am having with them. I am fully aware of the reasons behind the CFR and the requirements of licensing. The NMC needs to read and follow the CFR. I never said that I was entitled to to anything nor am I a “wannabe engineer.” I want the NMC to follow their own guidelines set forth in the CFR.

Some of you are such haters. I am so glad not to be part of your social group. Is life really that bad? Do you constantly look for posts on here where people are asking for advice or assistance and it pleases you to shit on them? You must have miserable lives… I feel sorry for you all. I do appreciate the people on here that actually help people. I also thank everyone that has PM me about my issue with the NMC. “It’s not YOUR license until it has your name on it…” Really dude? Is that the best you have to assist me? Life must suck for you… / end rant

[QUOTE=catherder;93711]I was EM1 at discharge and wasn’t asked for EOOW letters (also understand that I served in the realm of 25 years ago, how many women were EOOW qualified?) so maybe you have an evaluator who has misinterpreted the regs, or maybe you didn’t send enough information? I don’t know. Yes, by all means, contact Andy Hammond or one of the other licensing consultants (use search function) to help you. If you don’t have a copy of all of your evals, which should have your duties recorded in detail including watch stations, write to Millington (Naval Records) and get a copy of your service record. Be advised that this may take some time. It took me three months to get a sea service letter. Make and keep copies of everything.
Keep cool and don’t blow your stack, let your licensing consultant take the lead and you will get there, not to worry.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I am waiting on the response from the NMC from my last email where I quoted the CFR. If that does not do anything, I will contact a licensing consultant. Thanks again for the assistance.

It’s a hell of a lot easier to be a bully behind the safety of a computer screen.

Ignoring your whine about feeling like you are being shat upon by mean people who, in your estimation have personal problems and are taking them out on poor little you, let’s get to the point …

[QUOTE=Martilyo;93629]… I read this as all I have to do is prove that I stood watch in the engine room to have my sea service credited for my 3rd engineer’s license.[/QUOTE]

It really does appear that the documents you may or may not have submitted based on your claims of service in the engineroom as a Navy electrician were simply inadequate to support your application to test for an engineer license. If you still have to prove that you stood a watch for the prescribed period then it looks like you didn’t prove it the first time around.

The NMC might not be staffed by the best and brightest in the DC area’s bureaucrat pool but they aren’t stupid and for the most part they know how to read the rules.

Welcome to the world, it isn’t always black and white, and it isn’t even fair most of the time. It isn’t your mommy and it isn’t the Navy either. If you think I am a mean grump, wait till you get a chance to play baby third and something besides a light bulb needs attention.

[QUOTE=Martilyo;93787]Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I am waiting on the response from the NMC from my last email where I quoted the CFR. If that does not do anything, I will contact a licensing consultant. Thanks again for the assistance.[/QUOTE]

REPLY / ADVICE: Stop beating your head against the wall with the NMC. Hire one of the license consultants to represent you. The license consultants are retired USCG examiners who worked for many years at the REC and/or NMC. They know the rules. They know how to bend them. They know the staff at NMC. They deal with these kind of problems at NMC everyday. They do this shit for a living. Most of the license consultants charge around $200 — which is really cheap. They can save you many hours of frustration and aggravation. It is apparent from your posts that you are frustrated and angry. I don’t blame you. However, that puts you at a great advantage when dealing with the NMC. Hire a license consultant!

Half a dozen license consultants have been mentioned on gcaptain. There is also Google. You should not have any trouble finding some of them. Andy Hammond has been mentioned. I have used him. People also say very good things about Chuck K. (can’t think of his last name) in Michigan. If you have trouble finding a license consultant, let me know, and I’ll give you hand.

You should see some action, at least a clarification as to why, after submitting a CFR citation that does not agree with them. I once got a letter stating time submitted sailing on x license was out of scope and not acceptable. A quick reply with the “equivalencies” section had a license back on track to be issued with no further hassle. Like previously stated, if this doesn’t work then hire someone. They tend to have a stack of similar situations they almost use as “case law” for precedent and things move right along.

I don’t think you are a mean grump, I think other things about you that I will not share…because it isn’t nice too…and Mama always said, if you can’t say something nice… I am not sure how long it has been since you have been in the Navy, if any time, but I can guaran-damntee you that it isn’t ANYONE’S Navy anymore. It has been over-ridden by political correctness and bull{#^+… Much Ignorance and lack of common sense. I have already followed many turds around engine room …I mean thirds that have came out of the most “prestige-est” academies and have came to the conclusion that you could train a monkey to do their job. So if you think the job of a turd is all that difficult, either I am a theoretical physicist or you, sir, are lacking…

I can attest to the fact that the staff at the NMC are uneducated and know nothing about the maritime industry… They are definitely not the brightest in the West Virginia pool you mean… As far as it being black and white, it should be, since it is…you know…on paper…

By the the way, I got my approval to test since I educated the the instrument licenser at the NMC… Thanks for you supportive comments shipmate. I would be so luck to never have to sail with you… Good day then…bye bye now…

Your glad that you got what you wanted (or at least you should be). And I’m glad it worked out well for you.

You’ve had a couple weeks to calm down and forget about any snide comments that you may have heard here two weeks ago — but you can’t let it go. You still come on here two weeks later with that mean-spirited rant?

Unbelievable.

It’s called being deployed shipmate. I don’t have access to Gcaptain while underway…i know…it is a shame… I am only giving you back what you give. Try being nice and helpful, rather than being snide and mean. Compassion… Pass it on…and thank you.