DDE 1000-4000 Sea Time

Hi seeing if anyone out there can help clear the air since the nmc site hasnt really helped and ive dug through the CFR book as well and found nothing. Im currently an AB on the westcoast and have assisted chiefs on every run ive been on and been in charge of the engine room nightwatch for the last year and a half. I personally chose to go the DDE route and start off with my DDE1000 but the nmc checklist isnt very clear. The requirements state “360 days of engine service sea time of which 180 of it must be as QMED or equivalent position”. Would me being in charge of the engine room night watch and constant engine room work with the chiefs count as that “equivalent position” in the DDE checklist? Also would there be any CFR’s i would need to state in the sea letter from my company to back that up? Any and all info is welcome and thank you!

In theory, someone sailing as an unlicensed engineer can qualify for any DDE license.

With that being said, you should be able to qualify for a DDE no problem. From what you have said, you have been filling a ‘duty engineer’ position. A sea letter stating you were standing your watch and what your duties were should work fine. If you are trying to throw in your AB/deck duties too that may create a problem for evaluating so I’d avoid that.

1 Like

(b) The service requirements for endorsements as DDE are -

(1) For designated duty engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels of unlimited propulsion power, the applicant must have 3 years of service in the engineroom. Eighteen months of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent position;

(2) For designated duty engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels of less than 4,000 HP/3,000 kW, the applicant must have 2 years of service in the engineroom. One year of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent position; and

(3) For designated duty engineer of steam, motor, and/or gas turbine-propelled vessels of less than 1,000 HP/750 kW, the applicant must have 1 year of service in the engineroom. Six months of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent position.

General. A qualified member of the engine department is any person below officer and above the rating of coal passer or wiper, who holds an MMC or MMD endorsed as QMED by the Coast Guard.

The “equivalent to…” language is generally for military sea time. You will have a very hard time trying to prevail on this with commercial service without holding QMED. If you had QMED it might be easier.

1 Like

Thanks guys and im pretty sure that just explains a qmed but not the equivalent to position. And ive been seeing some posts @jdcavo about it while looking all of this up and some engineers saying its merely how your sea letter is written along with duties as well. Also @Ctony would assistant engineer be sufficient on the sea letter or what would it have to say exactly??

That may work but your company may need to state in the letter that although you hold no license and the vessel isn’t required a licensed engineer, that you served as an assistant to the chief.
Jdcavo is right…may make it easier if you got your qmed then accrued time with that first…I do know from first hand experience that ‘unlicensed engineer’ time counted in my case, and for some former co-workers of mine…but that was a decade or more ago. Your mileage may vary.

If you’ve the option (time etc) go with a licensed engineer route. It takes longer and all but if you’re going for the gold it’s worth it.