Favorite maritime movie?

Phillips is a national hero.

At least that’s the movie takeaway.

[QUOTE=ShooterMcGavin;154673]My all-time favorite is [I]Mister Roberts[/I], followed closely by [I]The Sand Pebbles[/I].

Cagney’s character reminds me of one cranky, cantankerous old bag of wind who still makes appearances on the[I] T.S. Empire State [/I]for their annual cruises…[/QUOTE]

I’m with you on both choices but for a moment, I was thinking you were referring to another cranky, cantankerous old bag of wind there…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;154680]Phillips is a national hero. [/QUOTE]

maybe a national hero but industry asshole

Not exactly a favorite but I enjoyed “Shout at the Devil” recently…

Always “The Cruel Sea” and “Action in the North Atlantic”

Any of the “Victory at Sea” documentaries if one is feeling patriotic and adventurous.

“Abyss” is a favorite modern one. I like whoever mentioned “Alien” as well, as an outside the box example. Not noticed by most, but Ripley and the crew are merchant mariners. So are the crew in the prequel flick “Prometheus”.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;154684]Not exactly a favorite but I enjoyed “Shout at the Devil” recently…

Any of the “Victory at Sea” documentaries if one is feeling patriotic and adventurous.[/QUOTE]

Definitely two of my all time favorites, ESPECIALLY “Shout at the Devil”. What an underrated film! I’d never so much as heard of it until I caught it out of the corner of my eye on Netflix one day. Not exactly a maritime movie, but it definitely has significant maritime elements. A well rounded classic, if you ask me.

Martha This is a cult film in Scandinavia. I have yet to meet a seaman who has not seen it.

[QUOTE=c.captain;154682]

• Updated - - -

maybe a national hero but industry asshole[/QUOTE]

Knew that would get a reaction.

Sometimes I just like to nonchalantly throw a firecracker in a thread and keep on walking. Does that make me a troll?

Another favorite of mine! It used to be on Youtube but they took it down :frowning:

No saltier performances ever than Lionel Barrymore’s in Captains Courageous and Treasure Island.

Ward Bond should have won the Oscar for his gut-wrenching performance in The Long Voyage Home, a sad one about sailors in WWII.

Already mentioned it but The Hunt for Red October’. Nothing better than Senator Fred Thompson saying ‘Boy-Russians don’t take a dump without a plan’

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;154684]I like whoever mentioned “Alien” as well, as an outside the box example. Not noticed by most, but Ripley and the crew are merchant mariners. So are the crew in the prequel flick “Prometheus”.[/QUOTE]

SOMEBODY involved in that movie went to sea. Just look at the crew dynamic – all the deck officers hate each other, nobody pays attention to the rider (Ash), and the only two who get along are the engineers, who are both insufferable to everybody else!

He always turns to starboard at the bottom of the hour

It was a 50/50 chance and I needed a break

You arrogant ass you’ve killed us…

‘My morse is so rusty I may be sending him dimensions of the playmate of the month’

Oh man, I’ve been watching that movie since I was 4 and when I realized what that line meant… Talk about the shocks of growing up…

[QUOTE=DirtyRodriguez;154721]‘My morse is so rusty I may be sending him dimensions of the playmate of the month’[/QUOTE]

“I just want to say that being chosen this month’s Miss August is, like, a compliment that I’ll remember for as long as I can! Right now I’m a freshman in my fourth year at UCLA, but, my goal is to become a veterinarian 'cause I love children!”

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;154609]Still working on getting a copy of “The Key”[/QUOTE]

Find it here: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/default.asp? That is where I got my copy.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Glaug-Eldare;154703]SOMEBODY involved in that movie went to sea. Just look at the crew dynamic – all the deck officers hate each other, nobody pays attention to the rider (Ash), and the only two who get along are the engineers, who are both insufferable to everybody else![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought the same. Wasn’t there a comment about “Tug Jockeys” in the dialogue?

Away all boats. Still my all time favorite

[QUOTE=Glaug-Eldare;154703]SOMEBODY involved in that movie went to sea. Just look at the crew dynamic – all the deck officers hate each other, nobody pays attention to the rider (Ash), and the only two who get along are the engineers, who are both insufferable to everybody else![/QUOTE]

Oh geez, by that same thought process of calling Alien/Prometheus maritime movies, I’ve gotta toss in Serenity/Firefly. Still have hopes of one day having an engineer that looks like Kaylee. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its cool, no judgement here. Whatever blows your skirt up!