Captain Phillips Movie Trailer

Here it is. I’ll let you be the judge

//youtu.be/eruwOiHoTTo

It seems like all we ever want in the merchant marine is just a little bigger slice of the limelight, a little more recognition for what we do, in fact I said so myself in another thread not 24 hours ago. How many average Americans know what the merchant marine is or how the gas made it to their car or how their tupperware made it into Walmart? When that little bit of limelight comes it is tempting to feel as if we would have been better off without it. Is this story what we want the American public to see of the modern day United States Merchant Marine?

I still haven’t decided whether I’ll see this or not, I think I’d like to see what others have to say.

pathetic. I really hope they don’t paint him as the hero…although I am sure they will simply by the title alone.

See there’s the rub: I know what CNN told me (he’s the hero) and I know that a lot of merchant mariners dislike him/the whole story, but that’s all I know about merchant mariners not liking him. I have no idea why though.

Since I already know the CNN version someone please explain the inside scoop and tell me why Phillips is not a nice guy and why I shouldn’t see this movie.

Love the sonar scanner radar with sound, gotta get me one of those!

Oh boy…I may score a first in my lifetime, getting tossed out of a movie theater for “being disruptive!”

[QUOTE=rshrew;108720]Love the sonar scanner radar with sound, gotta get me one of those![/QUOTE]

Didn’t you know the Maersk Alabama can submerge? Run silent run deep baby

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108716]See there’s the rub: I know what CNN told me (he’s the hero) and I know that a lot of merchant mariners dislike him/the whole story, but that’s all I know about merchant mariners not liking him. I have no idea why though.

Since I already know the CNN version someone please explain the inside scoop and tell me why Phillips is not a nice guy and why I shouldn’t see this movie.[/QUOTE]

I worked for MLL and still have friends there, and also know a lot of the liner guys from my current job and they don’t like Phillips because he allegedly (to be fair) ignored warnings from his own crew and from security info he was provided that indicated heavy pirate activity in the region, he did not alter his route, and essentially played company man. So I was told by guys who sailed with him. Word gets around fast. There is a lot of resentment about this guy.

it should tell you enough about him that the rescue boat didn’t start when they needed it to. I am sure it ran in the weekly tests though???

All sailors should know it was his CREW that didn’t leave him , and followed him towards Somalia into “pirate waters.” The crew should get all the credit when it gets dished out in the movie.

It was pretty funny a few years ago when I was waiting for the launch in DGar and this guy comes up to me and the first thing he says is “I am a famous AB from the Maersk Alabama!”

The contacts are moving across the radar screen at ~200 kts!!

I have heard so many stories from people who sailed with Phillips about what an immense fucking asshole he is and now I am nauseated at the idea they he has become a hero! The man endangered his ship and crew needleesly but gets all the glory! Fucking Hollywood!

Just like Paul Watson…another arrogant SOB prick master completely full of himself.

[QUOTE=c.captain;108757]another arrogant SOB prick master completely full of himself.[/QUOTE]

Not that I’m defending Phillips but I thought we all were? I sure as hell am :wink:

I’ll put it like this…

Before he was even out of that lifeboat, I was on another ship talking to a captain who happened to be a classmate of Phillips and he said “That couldn’t have happened to a nicer person,” talked about how much of a scumbag he was and said the he bet the crew willingly gave him to the pirates. I heard a number of stories along that same line and he took an unneeded chance and got bit. Now he’s a “hero” but I won’t be contributing to his paycheck…

Unfortunately that’s the world we live in. The screw ups get famous and paid for their mistakes. Philip’s is the hero. Never mind the crew or the military personnel who risked their necks. That’s Hollywood for you. I will not purchase a ticket for the movie. I’ll watch a “pirated” version.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;108759]Not that I’m defending Phillips but I thought we all were? I sure as hell am ;)[/QUOTE]

well there are always certain appropriate moments when it is part of the job but I for one make every effort not to live that role…

Unless you had to save Lucy from imminent danger aboard a ship of course!

I’m going to see it dispite it’s silly scenes - Love the RADAR track showing pirate skiffs approaching at over 200 knots. Those pirates could probably make more money running the Offshore Powerboat Racing Curcuit.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;108796]I’m going to see it dispite it’s silly scenes - Love the RADAR track showing pirate skiffs approaching at over 200 knots. Those pirates could probably make more money running the Offshore Powerboat Racing Curcuit.[/QUOTE]

Hey, he said that they were coming in fast. . . . . . maybe THAT is why the radar was pinging. . . .

His chief mate isn’t far behind…

It can’t be true. They aren’t wearing their uniforms. . . . . .at least they got THAT right, although khakis would have been a nice touch.