Announcing the first annual Golden gCaptain film award nominees

with the Golden Globes being held last night it is only fitting and proper to announce the first annual Golden gCaptain film award nominees today:

in the category of best actor to play a shipmaster/commanding officer in a film I nominate the late great Jack Hawkins as Cmdr. Erikson in the movie “The Cruel Sea”

In the category of best actor to portray a chief mate/executive officer is of course the stupendous and dead Humphrey Bogart as Joe Rossi in “Action in the North Atlantic”

and lastly, in the category of the best actor to play a chief engineer is the likewise deceased but wonderful James Doohan as Montgomery Scott in all kinds of Star Trek episodes and films

Worst actor categories have too many possible nominees but will be forthcoming soon.

The nomination committee (made up of yours truly) is open to taking your suggestions now…

What, no chance for the late Leslie Nielsen this year? Have we had enough of overturned passenger liners?

He’s better looking than Shittino, at any rate.

[QUOTE=catherder;94634]What, no chance for the late Leslie Nielsen this year? Have we had enough of overturned passenger liners?[/QUOTE]

Indeed timely so your nomination is accepted by the committee

My nominations include:

John Wayne as Capt. Karl Ehrlich in “The Sea Chase” (or was it the “Wake Of the Sea Witch”?) where our hero Capt. Ehrlich has the magic sextant that shows Lat & Long without doing the math.

For the black gang, the nomination is William Bendix as Hank Smith, a brutish stoker on board a freighter in the classic, “The Hairy Ape”.

Best o’luck to our nominees.

What about Robert Mitchum as Capt Murrell USNR in “The Enemy Below”? He told his XO that he was the Chief Mate of a merchant ship before the war.

The mate in “Dead Calm”

for God’s sake Bayrunner…what is that mess of alphabet soup?

The picture is showing up on my phone, but ill delete it.

There it should be gone. Effing iphone picture posting sucks.

The committee will accept the nomination purely because he is John Wayne but while the Duke was many men, a ship master is not one.

For the black gang, the nomination is William Bendix as Hank Smith, a brutish stoker on board a freighter in the classic, “The Hairy Ape”.

of course a hitherto unknown film rarely seen by man today and for good reason too! I think this nomination will be held for consideration by the committee for inclusion in a category other than “best” engineer

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;94650]What about Robert Mitchum as Capt Murrell USNR in “The Enemy Below”? He told his XO that he was the Chief Mate of a merchant ship before the war.[/QUOTE]

the committee feels the whole film to be highly squishy with matching performances. When compared with “The Cruel Sea”, :The Enemy Below" is used dishwater and the committee will not include this nominee.

sorry…

[QUOTE=powerabout;94651]The mate in “Dead Calm”[/QUOTE]

the committee requests more supporting documentation why this actor should be considered…starting with who he is?

For engineers, you have to put in Steve McQueen in The Sand Pebbles and John Qualen in The Sea Chase.

[QUOTE=c.captain;94655]The committee will accept the nomination purely because he is John Wayne but while the Duke was many men, a ship master is not one.

of course a hitherto unknown film rarely seen by man today and for good reason too! I think this nomination will be held for consideration by the committee for inclusion in a category other than “best” engineer[/QUOTE]

Ok, ok…I can handle rejection. Just ask any state pilot group.

I would like the committee to review my nomination for best second mate, Kris Kristofferson as 2m Jim Cameron in the sometimes erotic and quite dark “The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea”.

A decent flick, but the scenes of the mom and “Jim” performing as the son watches through the keyhole did trigger some deep and disturbing memories of my folks when I was a kid.

I now know mom & dad weren’t “just wrassling” and…wait, I DON"T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE!!!

the nominating committee wholeheartedly and enthusiastically endorses your nomination of Machinist’s Mate 1st Class Jake Holman in best engineer category without hesitation.

“Hello, Engine; I’m Jake Holman.”

and John Qualen in The Sea Chase.

the committee’s recollection of the film “Sea Chase” is not presently clear and needs to research the engineer’s character and actor’s performance further before nomination status is granted

[QUOTE=capnfab;94668]Ok, ok…I can handle rejection. Just ask any state pilot group.

I would like the committee to review my nomination for best second mate, Kris Kristofferson as 2m Jim Cameron in the sometimes erotic and quite dark “The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea”.[/QUOTE]

the committee confesses to having never viewed this film…they are embarrassed to admit it and will endeavor to obtain a copy soon

btw…how are the sex scenes? Are they HOT?

[QUOTE=c.captain;94657]the committee requests more supporting documentation why this actor should be considered…starting with who he is?[/QUOTE]

that would be a naked Nicole Kidman
( not just because she is an ozzie and so am I but because I was also crew on that boat ( but not when she was on it…)

Billy Zane the pirate and Nicole the mate

How about a category for actors that actually served in similar roles?
Steve McQueen was in the navy I believe

[QUOTE=powerabout;94689]Billy Zane the pirate and Nicole the mate[/QUOTE]

Oh dear…that’s going to be one combination that’s hard to beat…OW!

should we add a category of girl aboard with the best fenders or most shapely stern?

No, let’s keep it clean and wholesome this time without wanton acts of gratuitous sex! Just violence folks…

[QUOTE=powerabout;94690]How about a category for actors that actually served in similar roles?
Steve McQueen was in the navy I believe[/QUOTE]

Afraid not…he was a Marine but Ernest Borgnine was a Navy man as was Alec Guiness, Eddie Albert (& a hero at Tarawa), Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Don Rickles plus a whole slew of others

Jack Lord, Carrol O’Connor, Woodie Guthrie and Jack Keroac were all merchant mariners

[QUOTE=c.captain;94694]Afraid not…he was a Marine but Ernest Borgnine was a Navy man as was Alec Guiness, Eddie Albert (& a hero at Tarawa), Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Don Rickles plus a whole slew of others

Jack Lord, Carrol O’Connor, Woodie Guthrie and Jack Keroac were all merchant mariners[/QUOTE]

How about the worst movie category. I was below maneuvering the Denali when they filmed us going into LA (out of Philadelphia in the movie). Our captain went to the dollar theater in Portland, Or. to see it and he said he paid too much!