Exam module differences pre vs post 2014

I’m getting ready to submit my application for 2nd mate oceans. As I read all the CG information, since I took my 3rds exam before 2002, I will need to test for the 2/M. I have the option to test under the pre-2014 rules, or the post 2014 rules. However, I don’t seem to find just what the difference is in the modules, other than the name code. i.e. deck safety is either 143XX (pre-2014) or Q112 (post 2014). Does anyone have a clue what the differences are between the old set of modules and the new, and possible which set of rules I should request to test with?

I know it’s a long time to wait, but I had a full career on limited tonnage vessels, and just recently went big ships. But that 25 years sea time as 1600 Master only counted for half what I needed for an 2/M unlimited upgrade.

Full list of modules I expect to take per the respective exam gudes:
Name - Pre 2014# - post 2014#
ROR - Q100 - Q100 (the same)
Deck general - 141XX - Q111
Deck safety - 143XX - Q112
Nav Gen ocean - 142XX - Q114
Nav prob chart 144XX - Q115
Navprob NC - 145XX - Q116
Nav prob ocean - 146XX - Q117

[QUOTE=samat3;179381]I’m getting ready to submit my application for 2nd mate oceans. As I read all the CG information, since I took my 3rds exam before 2002, I will need to test for the 2/M. I have the option to test under the pre-2014 rules, or the post 2014 rules. However, I don’t seem to find just what the difference is in the modules, other than the name code. i.e. deck safety is either 143XX (pre-2014) or Q112 (post 2014). Does anyone have a clue what the differences are between the old set of modules and the new, and possible which set of rules I should request to test with?[/QUOTE]

The following subjects were added to the 3rd Mate/2nd Mate oceans exam by the 2014 rule change:

Vessel Maneuvering and Handling:
• Heavy Weather Operations
Stability, Construction, and Damage Control:
• Damage Control
Vessel Power Plants:
• Marine Engineering Terms
Emergency Procedures:
• Emergency Towing
National Maritime Law:
• Load Lines
Shipboard Management and Training:
• Vessel Alteration/Repair Hot Work
Ship’s Business:
• ISM and Safety Management Systems
Search and Rescue:
• Search and Rescue Procedures
• Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System and IAMSAR Manual
Communications:
• GMDSS
• IMO Standard Maritime Communication Phrases

The following subjects were removed by the same rule change:

Seamanship:
• Small Boat Handling Under Oars and Sail
Compass – Magnetic & Gyro:
• Gyro Controlled Systems
Vessel Maneuvering and Handling:
• Determine Maneuvering Characteristics of Major Vessel Types
Cargo Handling and Stowage:
• Tank Vessel Safety
• Cargo Piping and Pumping Systems
• Cargo Oil Terms and Definitions
• Ballasting, Tank Cleaning, & Gas Free Ops
• Load on Top Procedures
Medical Care:
• First Aid
Communications:
• Radiotelegraphy Emergency Distress Signals
• Flashing Light

The above was done by comparing 46 CFR Table 11.910 under the old and new rules. Anyone can do the same for any endorsement by the same method. I am surprised that the various commercial prep vendors have not seen a need to provide this information.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

So you may choose to test under the old rules if you have sea time from before March, 2014? Is that something you just request at the REC?

[QUOTE=fishyluke;180545]So you may choose to test under the old rules if you have sea time from before March, 2014? Is that something you just request at the REC?[/QUOTE]

You have to request it from NMC.

I don’t want to contradict Mr. Cavo on this, but when I told the REC Boston staff that I wanted to be evaluated under the 2014 regs, she asked me to write it in on my application form and then she highlighted something in my folder that said something about 2014. I guess that’s the same as requesting it from NMC, just using the REC to send the message?