Evolving eye splice recommendations

I’ve watched manufacturer’s recommended eye splice procedures for mooring lines change over the years. I presume the newer techniques preserve more line strength, are easier to handle, etc.
I’m curious if anyone knows more. And, if older splice styles are in any way unsafe. Does a class II splice in a class I line (or vice versa) significantly matter?

Samson claims that their splices maintain 100% of the lines strength.

I have no scientific data, best practice would be to follow Samsons splicing guide.
I’ve done different splices and on all types of lines, up to 14” or so, 3-12 strand.
I’ve always preferred the “under two over one” method that I learned when splicing 12 strand spectra, it was/is a version of Samsons Class 2 tuck and bury splice. Instead of doing the bury first you’re just going straight for the tucks.

It doesn’t look as ‘neat’ but it’s still going to maintain nearly 100% of the original strength if done properly. Also it’s easier to teach.
Ive always gone that route for 8 strand as well, up until recently.

I’ve seen laden tankers, ships and oil barges 130-200k bbl towed on the hip and that splice has never failed once.

But Samson’s recommended the splice for 8 strand is the type 1 splice. Which is a bit more involved, marking and following the marked pairs and tuck through alternating unmarked pairs, it can be a little confusing for beginners, and a little harder to teach, but it works well and looks good once you get it down.

1 Like

Thanks, dude. :sunglasses:
I’ve followed the Samson recipes for the older and newer 8 and 12 strand over the years. For the 12, the new class II tuck and bury gives me lots of confidence. But that splice is not particularly easy in used Quantum -12. I’ve resorted to the tried and cram -half-through-the-middle-tuck-and-bury. I was second guessing my choice, but the line strength is still going to be enormous.

1 Like