Endorsement Expiration

Gents, chaps, and mischievous little buggers alike,
Does anyone possess the knowledge, or the knowledge of where to locate the knowledge in the CFR’s, as to the expiration of various endorsements that may be attached to a deck license? The endorsements that I’m thinking of in particular are towing, aux-sail, and tankerman-PIC. Are any of these for life, so long as you hold a valid license, or do you need a certain amount of time and/or re-qualifications between license renewals?

Thanks ever so much for your advice,

• Paddy

Without being scientific I have an aux-sail endorsement and haven submitted a day of sail seatime since i got it about ten years ago. My impression is that they don’t expire as long as you’re current. It should be in 46 under “renewals.”

[QUOTE=z-drive;121077]Without being scientific I have an aux-sail endorsement and haven submitted a day of sail seatime since i got it about ten years ago. My impression is that they don’t expire as long as you’re current. It should be in 46 under “renewals.”[/QUOTE]

tankerman PIC requires certain # of transfers or (i think) class time in lieu of former.

enough sea time to renew license is not good enough for retaining PIC. i renewed my PIC in 2011. had to send in letter from capt show chronology of PIC time on tanker in order to retain endorsement.

towing has been recently addressed in a thread less than 3 weeks old.

i can’t stand it when you whippersnappers just stroll into this forum asking questions you could easily find the answers to right here on this very forum.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;121066]Gents, chaps, and mischievous little buggers alike,
Does anyone possess the knowledge, or the knowledge of where to locate the knowledge in the CFR’s, as to the expiration of various endorsements that may be attached to a deck license? The endorsements that I’m thinking of in particular are towing, aux-sail, and tankerman-PIC. Are any of these for life, so long as you hold a valid license, or do you need a certain amount of time and/or re-qualifications between license renewals?

• Paddy[/QUOTE]

tankerman PIC requires certain # of transfers or (i think) class time in lieu of former.

enough sea time to renew license is not good enough for retaining PIC. i renewed my PIC in 2011. had to send in letter from capt show chronology of PIC activities/time on tanker in order to retain endorsement.

towing has been recently addressed in a thread less than 3 weeks old.

i can’t stand it when you whippersnappers just stroll into this forum asking questions you could easily find the answers to right here on this very forum.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;121066]Gents, chaps, and mischievous little buggers alike,

• Paddy[/QUOTE]

The general requirements for renewal of all endoorsements, licenses, etc. are in 46 CFR 10.227. A few, but mnot many, endorsements have additional requirements for renewal. If there are no specific additional requirements, the renewal requirements in 46 CFR 10.227 are all there is, generally that’s either recent sea time or an open-book at home test. For these, if you renew the license the endorsements are attached to, the endorsement is renewed.

There are a few with additional requirements, the following is from memory and I think it’s complete but can’t take the time to read all of 46 CFR Parts 10, 11,12 and 13 to check:

Radar Observer (46 CFR 11.480)
Tankerman (46 CFR 13.120)
Mate/Master of Towing Vessels (46 CFR 10.227(d)(8)(D)(vi))
First Class Pilot (46 CFR 11.713)

Auxiliary Sail and [U]Assistance[/U] Towing have no requirements other than those for the license they are attached to.

Oh believe me, I don’t enjoy the whippersnappers any more than the next man, but I read the forum religiously and I still missed that one for some reason. Shame, shame :frowning:

J.D., you are, as usual, a fountain of exactly the information I was in pursuit of. I continue to be in your debt, sir. Thank you.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;121144]Oh believe me, I don’t enjoy the whippersnappers any more than the next man, but I read the forum religiously and I still missed that one for some reason. Shame, shame :([/QUOTE]

you damn kids and your skateboards!