Employment Agencys----they seem to take alot!

Hello,
I just got a package from Seaport Marine. They say there are captains jobs available (I hold 1600 Oceans) but will take 14 days pay for their services.
Is this typical? I am leaving the fishing business in AK for the Oil/Supply boat world and would like to know.
thanks

That sounds a little high. I was a crab fisherman and trawler off the west coast and I used an agency for my first job in the Gulf about 5 years ago. I think the out fit I used charged 10 days pay. I’m pretty sure it was 2 days per pay period for first 5 paydays. Maybe it was 2 days a week for the first 5 weeks. Anyway, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a full two weeks pay. But considering I had no experience in this end of the industry and I didn’t have to spend any money flying down and interviewing etc. I thought it all worked out pretty good. The name of the outfit I used was Buccaneer Crewing (I know, sounds real trustworthy) and I’m not sure they’re in business any more. Good luck.

[QUOTE=mke039;43467]Hello,
I just got a package from Seaport Marine. They say there are captains jobs available (I hold 1600 Oceans) but will take 14 days pay for their services.
Is this typical? I am leaving the fishing business in AK for the Oil/Supply boat world and would like to know.
thanks[/QUOTE]

I saw too many guys got sent home less than 14 days…Nothing to do with Headhunters…But If that happens,
You can lose lots of money and you work for nothing…

mke039- Be very careful in reading the contract agreement with some of the headhunters, Tom and Chuck Bender especially.

Those Head hunters are not good people they will rip you off in a heart beat if you want to go with some one who is fair that would be John Davis out of Texas real good guy.I have had dealings with these other companys like coast to coast who is no longer around. You might also try Kelly Sweeney out of Washington or another good one is Cmar america they are a no fee outfit and really nice people.

as I have posted before…have always considered these “creatures” to be a necessary evil…irregardless based on a 28&28 schedule = 14days / 180days x 100 = 7.77% commission…even less based on 28&14 schedule…that is considerably less as compared to other professions…right now in this economy expect everyone you deal with to demand a “pound of your flesh”…caveat emptor!!

I’ve never been a fan of “headhunters” who ask for money up front or require you to pay out of pocket. My advice would be to stick with recruiters, like Faststream, who charge the company when a position gets placed. Basically, if they place you, they get paid by the company. If they don’t, no one gets paid. They generally charge a hefty sum for the service (sometimes up to 40% 1st years pay), but as a job seeker you do not see this fee. Out of site, out of mind…

Speaking of which, if anyone is ever asked to pay an upfront fee from any employer or recruiter on our new maritime job board, let us know immediately and we’ll get them off.

I have been in the oil field and towing industry for 30 years, and I worked as a headhunter…ANY person that wants up front money is ripping you off. Most headhunter take between 15 and 20% of 90 employed days. That equals about 14 days pay over the 90 days. Seaport takes your pay rate and spreads it out over six payments…So be carefull. If you were to work only 2-3 days on a prarticular check you may get very little.
But then you have to ask yourself, "How bad do I need a job?"
Sometimes it is easier to get a job when you have one and it puts you around others working with knowledge of who is hiring. Nobody said you had to stay where they place you…It’s like riding a moped. It was fun once but you never want your friends to know…=))