EMD Manuals

I’m looking for pdf files of 567 b and 567 b-c marine type engines. Thank you in advance for the help.

The oil slobbering out of the photos in the PDF’s may ruin your hard drive!

That’s not nice. SMH

Training Aid

Anything you need for EMD. I’ll take an engine that leaks oil any day over a shitty C280 Cat. I can promise you one thing, my vessel wouldn’t be on it’s third port main engine if it was EMD in less than 4 years versus Cat C280-8.

[QUOTE=power230;66277]http://www.ttc-train.com/train.htm

Anything you need for EMD. I’ll take an engine that leaks oil any day over a shitty C280 Cat. I can promise you one thing, my vessel wouldn’t be on it’s third port main engine if it was EMD in less than 4 years versus Cat C280-8.[/QUOTE]
I’m not a big fan of the 3600 series. It could be worse…There are some burning HFO.

Both of the engines are ten years old and purr like the good little kitties they are. I will say this though, after the ECM conversion in 06 I’ve had plenty of electronics issues with them. All of my Emd Experience comes from my Turdwater days. Thank God those engines are damn near indestructible. That company does not believe in maintenance.

The C280s I worked with were very temperamental. Cat had a hard time getting techs to the vessels for warranty work. We finally got Cat laptops to keep on board.
I wish we had premium overtime in our last contract with the injectors and exhaust bellows I had to change almost every port.

Speaking of Tidewater, this boat I’m on used to be the Floodtide III. It is now the Epic Explorer.

Besides the injectors and exhaust bellows you mention, which we have done several times as well, I wish Cat could find a way to keep the connecting rods inside the block. Pretty sad when you have to add a visual inspection of connecting rod bolts every 2000 hrs to your maintenance program.

You must mean the Decrepit Explorer the Flood Tide III wow! They still got that noisy and hot stateroom between the stacks? What a sled that thing was in the 90’s. The $ they must have put into that thing could have bought a new boat. Man I got stories about that boat and some of the past crews shenanigans.

It’s just a passageway to the new structure the company added on for the dive crew, but my room next to the stacks gets warm. It now has saturation diving equipment where the mud tanks were.

I saw a an oceaneering boat that used to be the DMT Sapphire kinda like that. It’s called the ocean patriot now. They gutted the entire tank farm pulled all the ptanks out. Loaded it down with saturation gear.

One captain on the Flood Tide III hit the pilot station in SW pass. He was drunked up. He had a tussle with his wife prior to departure in the parking lot at Shell in Venice. His relief months prior to that put on mask and snorkel and cut an buoy line out of the wheels. He did it while offshore in full sight of the rig. Turdwater had some yahoos back in the day.

Clearing the wheel like that shows ambition.

Who still runs 567’s? You haven’t put 645 packs in those things yet?

[QUOTE=87cr250r;66403]Who still runs 567’s? You haven’t put 645 packs in those things yet?[/QUOTE]
Even with the 645 packs, it’s still a 567 block that can’t take a big increase in power.

“87cr250r” said Who still runs 567’s? You haven’t put 645 packs in those things yet?

We all know it’s the company that does what’s cheapest.

[QUOTE=injunear;66428]Even with the 645 packs, it’s still a 567 block that can’t take a big increase in power.[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

I’ve run across several nightmare scenerios with the conversion engines. As the boats changed owners or management, the biggest problem was the assortment of unrecognizable bargain basement injectors that would find their way into the heads.

Back in my ABS days, I seem to recall a circular going out about converting 567 to 645s and why they weren’t allowed. It was pretty common in the late 80s and early 90s (and may well be now, but I doubt it) for certain companies to convert old locomotive EMDs to marine EMDs, complete with ABS Maltese stamp. There are quite a few out there with my old stamp number (but all of those had original 645 blocks). From what I recall, they were having some serious problems when the 645 power packs were placed into the 567 blocks that did not become apparent during the overhaul and subsequent dyno run; but DID in service. I also believe that a subsequent engineering analysis was carried out the problem became evident.

[QUOTE=cmakin;66506]Back in my ABS days, I seem to recall a circular going out about converting 567 to 645s and why they weren’t allowed. It was pretty common in the late 80s and early 90s (and may well be now, but I doubt it) for certain companies to convert old locomotive EMDs to marine EMDs, complete with ABS Maltese stamp. There are quite a few out there with my old stamp number (but all of those had original 645 blocks). From what I recall, they were having some serious problems when the 645 power packs were placed into the 567 blocks that did not become apparent during the overhaul and subsequent dyno run; but DID in service. I also believe that a subsequent engineering analysis was carried out the problem became evident.[/QUOTE]
I’m trying to remember the name of the outfit off Navigation in Houston that rebuilt and upgraded engines. I believe they were bought out by Preco. They always had 268A’s, 278’s, OP’s and 567’s of various series grazing in the pasture behind the shop. They were very good about getting spares or repairs to any of the “hybrids”. (as some called them in the '60s and '70s)