Ebola and the US Merchant Marine

Kaci and her accusers (quite accurate if you ask me right down to the train of logic)

//youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g

Interesting development, I just read that Kaci Hickox works for the “Epidemic Intelligence Service”. Don’t know what that is but it sounds nefarious. Thoughts?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147276]Interesting development, I just read that Kaci Hickox works for the “Epidemic Intelligence Service”. Don’t know what that is but it sounds nefarious. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

Ok, a quick google shows that that’s a postgraduate training program from the CDC. So she’s even more of an expert than all the armchair epidemiologists thought in the first place. I told you guys she has a great resume.

Hickox has a great resume and she has done good work with Ebola patients in Africa at great risk to herself. However, she remains at risk of developing and possibly spreading Ebola in the US for about another two weeks. At this point all we can do is hope for the best.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147296]Hickox has a great resume and she has done good work with Ebola patients in Africa at great risk to herself. However, she remains at risk of developing and possibly spreading Ebola in the US for about another two weeks. At this point all we can do is hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

Her 21 days from last patient contact is on the 10th.

She understands that she is not “out of the woods” and has stayed away from stores and other public gathering areas, mainly out of respect for others.

A protocol for health care workers exposed to Ebola patients has to be grounded in science, and be workable and practical and I think she’s done a great deal toward driving the national conversation in that direction.

I will second you on the best wishes.

What about her roommate becoming positive with Ebola? Does that change her 21 days schedule? Surely she was in contact with the roommate more recently than she was with African patients.

[QUOTE=catherder;147208]Well at least unlike what I’ve seen and heard about Phillips, Hickox appears to be a well trained professional who knows her stuff. You should see her resume. She has post-grad education at places like The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health which has to be one of the best, if not the best, such program in the US.

All the judge in Maine did was acknowledge and permit Hickox to use the [I]established protocol[/I] for returning staff of Medicins Sans Frontieres which includes self-monitoring, not quarantine. She never said she opposed self-monitoring and is getting her temp taken twice a day so I really don’t understand why people insist on keeping her in a tent or a house or something like that while other returning staff face no such thing.

Incidentally, speaking of quarantine, those doctors and nurses on Spencer’s team at Bellevue are still not under any quarantine order. They go home end of shift every day, eat out, go to movies, etc. I’m really surprised none of you are up in arms about that.[/QUOTE]

I guess the problem that a lot of people have is not that this particular woman “may be” educated and will voluntarilly be prudent about close contact with the public. It has been proven that multiple health care workers have NOT been prudent. They have gone to bowling alleys, on subway trains and on commercial airlines. Now the nurse who flew was arguably not as educated as Kaci but I think we are putting a lot of faith in humans (who may or may not feel the same obligation that she does to be cautious). Since some feel that people can’t be trusted to self monitor and to avoid large groups of people, some authorities are making what could be voluntary a mandatory affair.

Also, let’s not underestimate the power of people rationalizing. Yeah… I am a little warm today… but it’s not ebola… must be a little cold. Plausible denial you know… you don’t “want” it to be ebola… so you ignore the symptom… maybe just run to the pharmacy for some advil instead?

The scary thing is that health care workers and others ministering to these patients DO become ill. Are they not protecting themselves? It seems that just basic cleanliness and precautions aren’t enough because I would imagine these medical professionals were washing their hands, wearing masks, wearing gloves… and they still got sick. Yes… I am sure it was because of contact with fluids… but what about the person who spews their chunks in a mall?? What if they become ill when they are out of the home and you have the mall janitor trying to clean things up… Not saying this is likely… but it is possible.

Obviously, it would be the prudent thing to do to avoid large public gatherings if you have had a potential exposure… self monitoring etc. While we shouldn’t have to lock people away… the fact that people can be selfish, in denial, or clueless could be devastating with this type of illness.

I also recognize the chilling effect it might have on healthcare workers who might otherwise volunteer… if they know they will be faced with quarantine when they return home… but I also wouldn’t feel too comfortable hanging out with Kaci before 21 days were up…just saying.

How many people anymore realize that Ellis Island was on a island because all new immigrants had to stay on there for a quarantine period? That it is known that no one is for sure how Ebola is transmitted because of its’ rate of mutation? And if you believe the 3 tenants of contagious disease communications are: Isolate, contain, treat, have changed to one of …’'that’s discrimination"… well, what worked before is not being implemented… and why?

In this day and age no one is concerned they can just go get a shot or a pill and go home. It’s all hysteria and conspiracy kooks until some small town is completely over run with this shit. If there is no worry why is the govt buying body bags and hazmat suits hand over fist? I’ll go put my tinfoil hat back on now and maybe scrub down with some bleach.

I grew up in a Medical Family, Doctors and Nurses. From what I have seen these people are usually the worse type of Patients and do not like admit to others or themselves that they are sick and I can see them saying “this will never happen to me because I took all of the precautions”.

Is Quarantining them the answer, I am not sure but I do believe that caution needs to be taken as things like this are known to Mutate, so what happened last year might be a totally different animal today.

Would I be happy about having to be quarantined, No, but I could not live with myself if my being selfish ended up with more people getting sick.

I am the LAST ONE that wants to see anymore of our rights taken away but this is scary and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

CDC Guidlelines

How did the updated guidelines change from the old guidelines?
The updated guidance has 4 key changes:

New risk levels are given for people who may have been exposed to Ebola and for those not at risk for the disease.
The guidance recommends stricter actions for the High, Some, and Low risk levels based on the type of exposure to Ebola.
State and local public health departments are advised to use active monitoring or direct active monitoring for Ebola symptoms rather than allowing people to monitor themselves.
Specific guidance is given about monitoring healthcare workers who have taken care of patients with Ebola.
What are examples of a High risk of exposure?
Some examples of exposures in the High risk level include:

direct contact with body fluids, from a person sick with Ebola and showing symptoms, through:
a needle stick
splashes to eyes, nose, or mouth
getting body fluids directly on skin
touching a dead body while in a country with a large Ebola outbreak without wearing recommended personal protective equipment (PPE) or not wearing PPE correctly
both living with and taking care of a person sick with Ebola
What are examples of Some risk of exposure?
Some examples of people who are in the Some risk level include:

close contact (within 3 feet) of a person sick with Ebola for a long time
Direct contact with a person sick with Ebola (such as in a hospital) in a country with a large Ebola outbreak even while wearing PPE correctly
What are examples of Low (but not zero) risk of exposure?
Some examples of people who are in the Low risk level include:

having been in a country with a large Ebola outbreak within the past 21 days with no known exposure (such as NO direct contact with body fluids from a person sick with Ebola)
being in the same room for a brief period of time with a person sick with Ebola
brief direct contact, like shaking hands, with someone sick with Ebola
direct contact with a person sick with Ebola in the United States while wearing PPE correctly
traveling on an airplane with a person sick with Ebola
What are examples of No risk of exposure?
Assuming there are no other risk factors from previous categories, some examples of No risk of exposure are:

having contact with a healthy person who had contact with a person sick with Ebola
having contact with a person sick with Ebola before he or she had any symptoms
someone who left a country with a large Ebola outbreak more than 21 days ago and has not been sick with Ebola since leaving that country
having been in a country where there have been Ebola cases, but no large Ebola outbreak (for example, Spain)
What are the stricter public health actions in the updated guidance?
CDC is now recommending active monitoring for all people with any level of potential exposure to Ebola. This means that public health workers are responsible for checking at least once a day to see if people in these risk levels have a fever or other symptoms of Ebola. In addition, people being monitored must take their temperature two times each day and watch themselves for symptoms. Active monitoring must take place until 21 days after the last possible exposure and can occur on a voluntary basis or be required by legal order.

For all people in the High and Some risk levels, and some people in the Low risk level, public health workers will make a direct observation at least once a day to see if people have a fever or other symptoms. This is called direct active monitoring. An example of direct observation is an in-person visit. A second follow-up can be done by telephone.

Travelers coming from countries with a large Ebola outbreak will be given a CARE (Check and Report Ebola) Kit at the airport to help watch themselves for Ebola symptoms.

For people in the High risk levels, there are additional restrictions on travel and public activities. These restrictions may also apply to people in the Some risk level depending on their individual situation, such as how they were exposed to Ebola, the number of days since they might have been exposed, and whether they have followed the requirements for direct active monitoring.

Are people at risk for Ebola allowed to travel?
People at High risk of exposure to Ebola are not allowed to travel on long-distance or local public transportation even if they are well. The reason for this is to prevent possible spread of Ebola if the person develops fever or other symptoms during travel. Those who have Some risk of exposure need to discuss all of their travel plans with their state or local health department, and may not be allowed to travel. People on travel restrictions might be allowed to travel by private plane or car as long as they continue to be monitored during travel. However, they would need to make sure the health department knows their plans and will be able to check in with them every day.

In the updated guidance, people in the Some risk level of exposure who do not have symptoms of Ebola may be subject to additional public health orders. Who makes this decision?
Public health workers at your local health department will decide if people who are in the Some risk level of exposure will need public health orders in addition to direct active monitoring. These public health orders could stop a person at risk from traveling on long-distance or local public transport, such as a plane, ship, train, bus, or subway. They could also stop a person from being in public places like movie theaters or going to work. Public health workers will make these decisions separately for each individual based on their history, including how they were exposed to Ebola, the number of days since they might have been exposed, and if they are following the requirements for direct active monitoring.

Federal communicable disease regulations, including public health orders, apply to arriving international travelers and to interstate travel. State and local public health officials have primary authority for public health orders within their borders. Thus, CDC recognizes that state and local public health departments may make decisions about isolation, other public health orders, and active (or direct active) monitoring that may be more restrictive than what is recommended by federal guidance, and that these decisions may vary by location.

How will active monitoring be implemented?
The state and local health departments will decide how individuals with High, Some, or Low (but not zero) risk levels of exposure will be monitored.

CDC is providing tools and resources to assist state and local public health departments with active monitoring. All travelers who enter the United States from countries with a large Ebola outbreak will receive a CARE (Check and Report Ebola) Kit at the airport. The kit includes:

a health advisory on monitoring for Ebola symptoms for 21 days
pictorial description of symptoms,
a thermometer with instructions for how to use it, and
a wallet-sized card that reminds travelers to monitor their health and provides information about who to call if they have symptoms
The CARE Kits will also be available to the state and local health departments.

What does active monitoring mean to my health and movement?
A person who is under active monitoring will have to do a health check two times per day. The heath check will include taking your temperature and watching for other symptoms of Ebola (severe headache, fatigue, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, or unexplained bruising or bleeding). People under active monitoring will need to talk to the health department at least once per day to tell them what their temperature is and if they have any symptoms. The state or local health department will decide if a person under active monitoring will need to call to report this information or will wait to be called by the health department worker. Your state or local health department will help you if you have questions about how to take your temperature or check for symptoms.

People under direct active monitoring will have direct observation from the state or local health department at least once per day to review symptoms and check temperature. An example of direct observation is an in-person visit. A second follow-up can be done by telephone. Direct active monitoring includes talking about plans to work, travel, take public transportation, or go to busy public places to determine whether these activities are allowed.

Is it safe for me to be around others if I am actively monitored?
It is safe for you to be around others while under active monitoring as long as you do not have fever or other symptoms of Ebola. However, some states may choose to be very careful and will not allow you to be around others if you are in the High risk level of exposure, and, in some cases if you are in the Some risk level of exposure. For people in the Some risk level of exposure, public health workers will make these decisions separately for each individual based on their history, including how they were exposed to Ebola, the number of days since they might have been exposed, and if they are following the requirements for direct active monitoring as required.

How long will I be actively monitored?
The active monitoring period lasts for 21 days after the last possible Ebola exposure. For travelers who have been in a country with a large Ebola outbreak, this is 21 days after leaving that country.

If I am under “active monitoring” am I considered contagious?
No. Active monitoring does not mean you are contagious. You are only contagious if you have been infected by Ebola AND have symptoms. Active monitoring only means that public health workers are watching your health more closely because you may have been exposed to Ebola. Active monitoring allows public health workers to recognize more quickly if you become ill and make sure you get immediate care. Early care can be very helpful in treating Ebola and in limiting contacts to others.

Will CDC provide medical documentation to my employer if I am not allowed to go to work?
State or local public health workers can work with you if medical documentation is needed for your employer.

Why are we putting movement and travel restrictions on U.S. citizens but not on people from West Africa coming into the United States?

etc etc…

This boils down to evaluating expertise outside our own. I trust the C/E based on how well I know him, I trust the NWS based on evaluated results. When I meet someone new, like a new mate I evaluate based on what he has done, I asked him where he’s sailed. Then I keep an eye on him.

In the case of Ebola Doctors without borders are betting their lives. They have built up expertise. So far Ebola has behaved the way it was predicted to behave. That’s how I navigate around hurricanes, I use the forecast with a margin of error. I have to accept some level of risk to get the job done.

If we are going to rely on non-expert opinion whose are we going to use? Non-expert opinion is all over the map. In the town of Strong Maine they quarantined a teacher because she had been in Dallas 10 miles from the hospital with a Ebola patient.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;147355]In this day and age no one is concerned they can just go get a shot or a pill and go home. It’s all hysteria and conspiracy kooks until some small town is completely over run with this shit. If there is no worry why is the govt buying body bags and hazmat suits hand over fist? I’ll go put my tinfoil hat back on now and maybe scrub down with some bleach.[/QUOTE]

If Orson Welles were still alive, he’d probably be saying “Ebola? Damn. I wish I had thought of that.”

We’ve all seen the movies and every time it begins with some smart guy in a lab coat that spills something and says oh shit. Heaven knows a virus has never mutated. I’m on planet Houston for a DP maintainer course right now obviously I’m not overcome with hysteria. So far I’ve only seen Texans infected with stupidity while driving. I still hope I don’t pick something up and take it home to my wife and kids though.

Maine Governor Paul LaPage was reelected by a bigger margin than last time. Some pundits say he was helped by his efforts to quarantine Kaci Hickox.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;147396]So far I’ve only seen Texans infected with stupidity while driving.[/QUOTE]

Can’t be Texans…Probably interlopers from NY and Cali…

I’ve been in rush hour traffic in a lot of major cities over the years. These people are a menace to society.