DP should I or shouldn't I

I have just parted ways with a East Coast towing Co. I have a 1600 Ocean MOTV and have run mate and master since 2008 before that I was on a 128’ crew boat. Im looking for a new direction" less slimy". Should I sign up for basic DP and then start putting my name out or does it matter, will the company’s down there look at me any more favorably with basic or introductory DP with no experience ?

Excellent question !

It depends. In this business it is all about timing…The old saying, right place, right time. For a company like Chouest, you have that Towing endorsement, which is good for the anchor boats. With them, they would send you to their DP school. They have the guys sign some type of deal that you wont quit for two years or you pay the $2800 or so back.

But I would put some applications in and see the response you get. Some companies will pay for you to go to school.

From all I am hearing, Beier’s school is the cheapest if you’re paying out of pocket. With their school, it will be on their equipment, but at the end of the day, the certificate is what you want. Because wherever you take the class, it is a good chance, that wont be the equipment that you will work on.

Good luck

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;92034]It depends. In this business it is all about timing…The old saying, right place, right time. For a company like Chouest, you have that Towing endorsement, which is good for the anchor boats. With them, they would send you to their DP school. They have the guys sign some type of deal that you wont quit for two years or you pay the $2800 or so back.

But I would put some applications in and see the response you get. Some companies will pay for you to go to school.

From all I am hearing, Beier’s school is the cheapest if you’re paying out of pocket. With their school, it will be on their equipment, but at the end of the day, the certificate is what you want. Because wherever you take the class, it is a good chance, that wont be the equipment that you will work on.

Good luck[/QUOTE]
Thanks CaptRob. I am just now planning on taking the Beiers class in Spring and paying out of pocket. Hope then to find a position (I have 3rd mates) on a OSV and hope the basics class at least shows I am moving forward with DP.

Good luck!! I heard that if you look in the Hornbeck site they have a few positions available. One of them is Training Mate, may not be what you want but it is a way of getting your foot in the door without the DP cert.