DP basic license question

I am new to the board as a member, but I have browsed here for some time looking for employment. My question is that for my commercial cruise, I sailed with Edison Chouest Offshore for 90 days. I had a friend from my graduating class of december 2009 tell me that since he sailed in the gulf for his commercial, with Hornbeck, the company that hired him said that sea time as a cadet counted for his DP basic, so they sent him straight to school to get it. Will this work me also? Or does it depend on the company?

Open this link and read, attention on page 3. If the Nauticle Institute follows their own guidance the answer is your seatime using DP is creditable towards the 6 month of total time required. The tough part might be documenting that you were UI on DP for any of the 90 days at ECO. You would still have to go to 2 schools with 30 days DP time between them plus more time after the 2nd school.
Cheers
http://www.nautinst.org/DP/pdf/DP_Operator’sCertificate21Aug07.pdf

thanks man. that was very helpful.

what companies out there offer the D.P training program?? As i understand it, I would need to find a company that will hire a person with just the basic, you need to have a job and the 30 days before proceeding to the advanced class. Ay idea who may be hiring for the above situation.

Thanks

1 Like

[quote=captcruz;28621]what companies out there offer the D.P training program?? As i understand it, I would need to find a company that will hire a person with just the basic, you need to have a job and the 30 days before proceeding to the advanced class. Ay idea who may be hiring for the above situation.

Thanks[/quote]

Any of the companies will send you to school. It just depends on their policies as to how it gets paid for.

You can also go to DP basic school on your own, then find a company willing to let you do your observation for 30 days.

1 Like

I want to go to Basic on my own to make myself more attractive to prospective employers , is there a time frame for getting the 30 days observation on the basic certificate ?
Thanx , ibdkaptn :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe you have 5 years from completing Basic to finishibg your Limited or Unlimited cert (depending on dp class of vessels after advanced).

Problem I am experiencing is a distinct feeling that no companies are interested in anyone that doesnt yet hold a DP cert yet. So many guys have been on the beach the past couple years that every entry level job is swamped by applications frpm guys with 10 yrs experience in a higher rank and DP Unlimited.

1 Like