DP Info and Seatime-Reduction Course Survey

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;66912]Are you a dpo and just doing it for training or did you actually need to sea time reduction?[/QUOTE]

I’m sailing as a mate on a MODU getting the sea time towards DP

Here is the info that I received on DP training at Maersk.

Thank you for your kind inquiry and for your interest in our DP courses (course descriptions and terms & conditions attached).

The courses will be conducted here at Maersk Training in Svendborg, Denmark.

The courses can be conducted in either English or Danish; i.e. if one of the participants wishes for us to conduct the course in English, we will do so.

First of all, we offer DP Basic/Induction courses. At present, we have vacant seats on the following DP Basic courses in 2012:

Week 17: 23-27 April

Week 19: 07-11 May

Week 25: 18-22 June

Week 37: 10-14 September

Week 40: 01-05 October

Week 46: 12-16 November

The course price is DKK 18,725 + VAT (USD 3307.72 + VAT) and approx. DKK 1,500 (USD 264.97) per 24 hours full board (VAT included).

With 30 days of sailing time after your DP Basic course, which must be listed in your logbook, you will be able to participate on one of our DP Advanced courses.

The following DP Advanced courses have been scheduled for 2012:

Week 17: 23-27 April

Week 24: 11-15 June

Week 34: 20-24 August

Week 41: 8-12 October

Week 47: 19-23 November

Week 51: 17-21 December

The course price is DKK 21,420 + VAT (USD 3783.78 + VAT) and approximately DKK 1,500 (USD 264.97) per 24 hours full board (VAT included).

We also conduct DP Seatime Reduction courses.

The following DP Seatime Reduction courses have been scheduled for 2012:

Week 22: 28 May-01 June

Week 35: 27-31 August

Week 45: 05-09 November

The course price is DKK 21,420 + VAT (USD 3783.78 + VAT) and approximately DKK 1,500 (USD 264.97) per 24 hours full board (VAT included).

Moreover, a DP Refresher course has been scheduled for week 43, 23-26 October.

The course price is DKK 20,400 + VAT (USD 3603.60 + VAT) and approximately DKK 1,500 (USD 264.97) per 24 hours full board (VAT included).

Last but not least, we conduct DP Intro+Technical courses for engineers.

The following DP Intro+Technical courses have been scheduled for 2012:

Week 19: 07-11 May
Week 23: 04-08 June
Week 26: 25 – 29 June
Week 33: 13 – 17 August
Week 36: 03 – 07 September
Week 39: 24-28 September
Week 42: 15-19 October
Week 44: 29 October-2 November
Week 46: 12 – 16 November
Week 49: 03 – 07 December

The course price is DKK 26,265 + VAT (USD 4629.91 + VAT) and approximately DKK 1,500 (USD 264.97) per 24 hours full board (VAT included).

Kindly note that our hotel facilities are situated next to the training facilities.

For more information about our hotel facilities, please click here:

Hotel_bttn.jpg

Would you know if any of your colleagues would have similar training needs as yours?

I hope this is of interest to you and look forward to hear from you again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if I can assist you in any other way. Hopefully, I have answered all your questions?

Best regards

Camilla Støchkel
Internal Sales

Sales & Marketing

mailbox:///C:/Users/Paul/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/46g2ypcr.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/Inbox?number=3160033580&part=1.1.2&filename=image001.gif

Maersk Training Svendborg A/S, Dyrekredsen 4, 5700 Svendborg, Denmark, Reg. No. DK 14 22 35 33

Direct: +45 63 21 99 63 Phone: +45 70 263 283 Fax: +45 70 263 284

www.maersktraining.comCST020@maersktraining.com

what use is a FMB to see the other vessels/objects if you are a DPO on a MODU in a room with no windows?
Same goes for survey. pipelay, cablelay etc that are in the middle of the sea by themselves

Recently returned from the course at Maersk Training in Svendborg. Personal experience is on MODU and I was simply looking to reduce the time required for certification. Overall I was very impressed with the course and the quality of the simulators. I had previously taken my DP courses at kongsberg in Houston and while they do the job, their simulators are nowhere near the quality of those at MT.

Course- similar to the advanced course just much more in depth, longer simulations, sometimes two hours. The study of FMEAs was beneficial for those who are unfamiliar with them. Exercises are geared to supply boats, maersk supply boats, but they are still informative, even for MoDU dpos. Days are long, starting around 830 and ending close to 1800. The facility is excellent, with the guest house located next to simulator. The dining area was a short walk down the hill . The instructors are Danish but speak very clear English and there were no problems in that regard. The biggest draw back was the location, about three hors from Copenhagen with a train and bus ride inbetween. This didn’t bother me much but it isn’t exactly easy to get too.

I would reccomend this corse to anyone who is looking to get 42 days knocked off their seatime. Try to go in the summer if you have a choice.

[QUOTE=jdpo;88255]Recently returned from the course at Maersk Training in Svendborg. Personal experience is on MODU and I was simply looking to reduce the time required for certification. Overall I was very impressed with the course and the quality of the simulators. I had previously taken my DP courses at kongsberg in Houston and while they do the job, their simulators are nowhere near the quality of those at MT.

Course- similar to the advanced course just much more in depth, longer simulations, sometimes two hours. The study of FMEAs was beneficial for those who are unfamiliar with them. Exercises are geared to supply boats, maersk supply boats, but they are still informative, even for MoDU dpos. Days are long, starting around 830 and ending close to 1800. The facility is excellent, with the guest house located next to simulator. The dining area was a short walk down the hill . The instructors are Danish but speak very clear English and there were no problems in that regard. The biggest draw back was the location, about three hors from Copenhagen with a train and bus ride inbetween. This didn’t bother me much but it isn’t exactly easy to get too.

I would reccomend this corse to anyone who is looking to get 42 days knocked off their seatime. Try to go in the summer if you have a choice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your excellent report on the Maersk DP course. The only problem is the very high cost. $3793 for the course, about $1,300 for room and board, and $1,000 for airfare, totals up around $6,000. I assume your employer paid for it. I doubt that anyone spends $6,000 out of pocket to go there.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;88304]Thank you for your excellent report on the Maersk DP course. The only problem is the very high cost. $3793 for the course, about $1,300 for room and board, and $1,000 for airfare, totals up around $6,000. I assume your employer paid for it. I doubt that anyone spends $6,000 out of pocket to go there.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the course is extremely expensive, as are the others. I believe the courses in the Netherlands and Norway are about the same price. it took a few months of convincing for my employer to agree. We can only hope Kongsberg Houston makes the investment on their simulator to qualify for the course.

As I understand it, Beier Radio is only about $1500 for their DP Induction course, and another $1500 for their DP advanced simulator course. Maybe they will eventually have an affordable DP seatime reduction course? But I wouldn’t be surprised if ECO is the first to start up a DP seatime reduction course in the US.

I think there are simulator requirements limiting that class in the states. I heard it has to be a full mission simulator beyond even what we have at ECO?

Don’t all the academies, the unions schools, and a few of the for-profit schools have full mission bridge simulators?

Norway has about 4 million people. There are more Norwegians living in the US than there are in Norway. The US has 330 million people. Given the billions that MARAD throws around, the cost of the funding the right DP programs on the right simulators should be a drop in the bucket. What are we here in the US — a third world country?

Not full mission DP simulators.

what does looking out the window do for a DPO on:
Survey
Pipelay
Cablelay
Drilling
Rock dumping
etc
vessels?

FYI…

Just took the DPO Basic course at Kongsberg in Houston. The instructor said the Seatime Reduction Course should be in place September 2014

Recently was schooled by Maurice at Beirer and he said they are cranking that course up soon as well. It’s only $1000.00 a day.

[QUOTE=SeaMoney;118227]Recently was schooled by Maurice at Beirer and he said they are cranking that course up soon as well. It’s only $1000.00 a day.[/QUOTE]

$1000.00 a day? for a five day course thats $5000.00.
Worth shopping around for a better price.
Im thinking about the Maersk course in Denmark, which is about $27,700 Krone = $5100 USD.
Sure I can find more affordable training by shopping around, but personally I would love to get back to Denmark and get some courses there.

I am not sure how many Seatime Reduction courses you can take. Maersk appears to imply 2 times, but I vaguely recall during my inducton course at Kongsberg Houston that they may be changing this to only once? Can anyone confirm this?

My ship is due to go to the shipyard soon so I am trying to rack up as much time as possible before she hits the drydock. So I am trying my best to not get myself in a situation where I am another Third Mate with half-completed DP training.

I answered my own question here. I asked how many seatime reduction courses you can take, it used to be two, but this is what I found on the Nautical Institute website.

The course is designed to allow the trainee DPO’s to reduce the required sea service time of 6 months by 6 weeks by doing one week of intensive simulator training. As of January 2013, a maximum of 6 weeks of DP sea service time may come from simulator training. The rest of the sea service time must come from actual DP time on board a DP vessel. Candidates for DP 3 courses must have completed both the DP Induction course and the DP Simulator course prior to attending.

Just got a reply from Kongsberg Houston…

No date has been confirmed as we are still trying to complete the room. Last minute items though as all the equipment has been set up.

May 1, 2014

[QUOTE=stellarseas;136799]Just got a reply from Kongsberg Houston…

No date has been confirmed as we are still trying to complete the room. Last minute items though as all the equipment has been set up.

May 1, 2014[/QUOTE]
Wondering if they have made any progress on this. Who did you reach out to at Kongsberg Houston to get info on this?

The other mate on my boat called two weeks ago and they still have no dates confirmed for the reduction course. Time to by a ticket to kongsberg Rio de Janeiro.

You might want to check into the Maritiem Instituut Willem Barentsz in the Netherlands. When I took the STR course that was the most cost effective package for me flying from the west coast. Particularly because their course was 3000 USD at the time whereas others were closer to the 5000 range.

Does a str course make financial sense?