Dino Chouest/USS Independence tow

The out of work professional mariners need to think this way, as you won’t be able to create what ECO has in the near future. When the business makes a turn around you will be knocking on their doors (if you’re young enough) and be proud to be a part of their crew.

[QUOTE=coldduck;196352]Of all the missteps that occurred during that tow I don’t remember it being illegally manned at all. The Captain did not set the watches correctly but iirc the manning and licenses were above what was required.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was counting the illegal watch schedule in my “illegal manning”. Yes, everyone on there had the correct license. Why didn’t that super retired coastie make sure the Aiviq watches were correct? That’s a very easy thing to NOT fuck up.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;196406]Sorry, I was counting the illegal watch schedule in my “illegal manning”. Yes, everyone on there had the correct license. [B]Why didn’t that super retired coastie make sure the Aiviq watches were correct?[/B] That’s a very easy thing to NOT fuck up.[/QUOTE]

Ummm…probably because he wasn’t an ECO employee at the time.

1 Like

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;196400]God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers. ECO and your crew keep up the great work and congrats on all your success. From the past to the future.[/QUOTE]

What he said ^^

[QUOTE=jbtam99;196431]What he said ^^[/QUOTE]

The way you wrote your original statement about him led me to believe he was employed then and responsible for the Aiviq being manned above requirements. I misunderstood.

I’ve been tracking the Dino on my “Ship Info” app. It’s interesting that they seem to be hugging the coast. I would have thought they would have been taking a more direct course for Cape Horn but I’m just a Retired Chief.

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas. Keep up the great team work.

[QUOTE=Tugs;196441]I’ve been tracking the Dino on my “Ship Info” app. It’s interesting that they seem to be hugging the coast. I would have thought they would have been taking a more direct course for Cape Horn but I’m just a Retired Chief.[/QUOTE]

Better tv and radio reception

If you look at the density map on https://www.marinetraffic.com/ that is pretty much normal.

1 Like

Typically big jobs like this have client driven requirements… maybe that’s it? Just a thought.

Does anybody know if this is a “lump sum” contract, or on dayrate, incl. or excluding fuel?

Standard Towing contract used internationally is BIMCO TOWCO 2008: https://www.bimco.org/-/.../BIMCO/Contracts.../Contracts/Sample.../Sample-copy-TOW

If this contract is awarded by the US Navy it is doubtful if they used TOWCON 2008, but do we know that there isn’t a third party in between the Navy, or the Breaking Yard and ECO??

1 Like

Typically you bid those as a lump sum

Yes typically, but not always. Risky business to take on a lump sum contract when part of the tow is in notoriously bad weather area.

In any case, using a tug able to carry enough fuel for the entire voyage and with power to spare to maintain speed in heavy weather does make good sense no matter which contract model is used.
Frequently I have found that both Charterers and Owners just look at minimum required BP (per IMO towing rules) and fuel consumption at 85-90% MCR, resulting in delays and additional risk. (Extra days = extra $$$)

Man, all those spices, and you choose to be salty.

SOB was supposed to be OSV, sausage fingers or autocorrect got me on that one.

1 Like

That’s pretty funny, and here I was thinking you used SOB instead of OSV as a clever play on words.

Photo Credit - Bob Ring - USS Independence (CV-62) Veterans Club

Update Credit: Goes to Bob Ring - USS Independence (CV-62) Veterans Club
5 - Hours ago. Very close to the equator.

3/30-31 data update - Bearing 145 degrees; Speed 8.3 knots; Seas SE 1-2ft; Wind SSW @ 10 knots; Water depth 2000 meters; Visibility 10 N Miles; Length of Tow Line Deployed 2300ft; Total Miles Traveled 3,986 N Miles; Distance to Port @ Valparaiso 2460 N Miles…

Are there any Forum Members that have the Honor to be a part of The Magellan’s Strait Jacket Club?

Still using cheap, uncertified “Buckles”?

http://gcaptain.com/uss-independence-june-arrival-at-scrapyard/