Offshore tugs layed up in Cameron

Anyone have any info on the offshore tugs layed up in Cameron. They are the Blue Moon and Blue Bayou.

Do you have any photos or IMO numbers?

They have been there for a while. I heard they were being sold, but I have no idea. They are good looking tugs though.

Old BPAmoco units that Archer Daniel bought. They pushed single skin barges that are pinned with intercon couplers. Tugs are twin engine/ single screw with steerable nozzle.

[QUOTE=Tugted;127938]Old BPAmoco units that Archer Daniel bought. They pushed single skin barges that are pinned with intercon couplers. Tugs are twin engine/ single screw with steerable nozzle.[/QUOTE]
There were 3 of those units. CP wheels also. The first barges I’d seen with IG systems. Not very comfortable on the towline before they pinned them. Moran bought one of them and renamed it the April Moran.

Oh, crap. I remember those. I spent quite a bit of time dealing with them when I was with ABS. I was involved with the installation of the nitrogen inerting system. Tugs had two 16 cylinder 645 EMDs. Geared to one shaft, with CPS and steerable Kort (as noted above). Pretty useless out of the notch, but they were not ATBs.

They had 12 turbos & when bp had the they were pinned. They came into charleston every week.

They had 12cyl turbo emd’s & intercon pin system when BPAmoco had them. They came into charleston every week. The 3rd unit is now the Osprey owned by Kirby.

Not sure which tug it was but I believe it was mated to the Florida Bay in the 80’s, when I did some electrical repairs on her in N.Y.H the tug had 16 cyclinder EMD’s mated together through the reduction gear to a single shaft. I have seen one or more of these tugs on MARCON listed for-sale with a H.P. of 5600.

I rode the April Moran from Galveston to Baton Rouge chasing electrical problems. Generators would auto-transfer out of the blue. It took 30 hours and 10 pots of coffee to find the problem. “Phase loss module” had corroded pins. That engine room was 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag.

With the nitrogen generator, I guess they haul xylene.

photos on shipspotting.com

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=911057

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=733171

They sat tied up in Galveston up till about a year ago, last saw them stacked in the corner in Cameron. There was 4 of them correct ? The April was sold to Nigeria, Kirby has 1, and those 2 sitting there. They arent bad looking till you figure the whole CP thing, I dont know if they are still on Marcon or not ?

The one Kirby has came from the Allied sale & they had double skinned the barge & put a bow thruster in the barge.