Differences in "deck and nav general, deck safety" exams

After four years trying to get enough time in it’s time to go get a license. I work on the Steamer Belle of Louisville and her 86 ton diesel sister and am shooting for 100 ton master, 200 ton mate western rivers. Lucky for me the tests for those are the same but I’m also getting my steersmans license for towing vessels since I’ve been slinging rigging for two years as well. The deck and nav general, deck safety module is different for this than the master/mate license and I was curious if anyone knows HOW different. An engineer on the Belle got his unlimited steam license by studying and using the software aviable from hawsepipe.net and I figure if he can get that without going to school I can do the same for the license I seek. All the other tests involved in getting all three ratings are the same, so I was just going to buy the steersman software but will that cover the deck safety portion of the 100 ton as well? Any other advice is VERY appreciated!

Have a great day,

Brian

PS: from the Guide for Administration of Merchant Marine Deck Examinations available from the USCG the two modules that are different are the following:

[B]Module 321XX[/B] Deck & Navigation General + Deck Safety Mast/Mate – NMT 200 GRT – Rivers
[B]Module 361XX[/B] Deck & Navigation General + Deck Safety Master/Mate – Towing Vessels Western Rivers

Brian,

just a suggestion…if you are going to use “Hausepipe”…why not direct your questions at the source…they should willing to answer your questions and offer support??

Hausepipe link:http://hawsepipe.net/

[quote=seadawg;25209]Brian,

just a suggestion…if you are going to use “Hausepipe”…why not direct your questions at the source…they should willing to answer your questions and offer support??

Hausepipe link:http://hawsepipe.net/[/quote]

Good question! Their office is closed till the 25th of January and if I wait till then to call and order it may not make it to me before I get back on the boat on the 30th. I’d like to order it sooner than that and thought maybe someone here would know.

deck general: some of the answers are in the CFR’s
nav general: most of the answers (incl. all on cloud names) are in bowditch
deck safety: most of the non-obvious answers are in the CFR’s