Difference Between Class 1, Class 2 etc

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between a 1st Class, 2nd Class, 3rd Class & 4th Class. It would really help me.
Kind Regards.

At an academy? They are the classes - 1st Class = senior, 4th class = freshman. I don’t know if that’s what you’re talking about though.

I am pretty sure it has to do with code for officer rankings. 4th officer being 3rd Mate 3rd being 2nd Mate 2nd being chief mate and 1st being Master. The US doesn’t use it but I think the brits and others use this.

I didn’t even think of that. But some of the foreign ships use Capt., Chief Mate, 1st Officer (2nd mate), 2nd Officer (3rd Mate), 3rd Officer (sort of a cadet/junior officer who isn’t a full officer yet).

I have heard of that also.

It’s a British thing. Class 1 is a Master and the rest are (roughly) equivalent to CM, 2/m…

The attachment shows the basic manning requirements…

[B]I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but this is in reference to DP classifications. [/B]

[B]Class Requirements[/B]

Based on IMO (International Maritime Organization) publication 645 the Classification Societies have issued rules for Dynamic Positioned Ships described as Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3.
[ul]
[li]Equipment Class 1 has no redundancy.[/li]Loss of position may occur in the event of a single fault.
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Equipment Class 2 has redundancy so that no single fault in an active system will cause the system to fail.[/li]Loss of position should not occur from a single fault of an active component or system such as generators, thruster, switchboards, remote controlled valves etc. But may occur after failure of a static component such as cables, pipes, manual valves etc.
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Equipment Class 3 which also has to withstand fire or flood in any one compartment without the system failing.[/li]Loss of position should not occur from any single failure including a completely burnt fire sub division or flooded watertight compartment.
[/ul]

Could also be Ice Classifications, although I don’t know if they go as high as Class 4.

Class 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., used to represent Grade of Certificate of Competency in the Merchant Navy. This was applicable prior to STCW’95 (Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping). You have already received replies that equate to Master, Chief Mate, Second Mate, etc. These grades also used to apply to engine Certificates, namely, Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, etc.

Under STCW’95 the Certificates are Graded: Master, Chief Officer. Officer Of Watch (OOW). Similar grades apply to Engineer Certificates. <O:p</O:pThough the change took place, some individuals (and even Companies) from pre STCW’95 days still refer to these certificates as Class 1, 2 etc.<O:p</O:p
Furthermore, some national administrations have not taken the pain to switch over.

Perhaps he means this:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/safety:start#vi._international_scale_of_river_difficulty