Celestial Nav, whats the difference in the classes?

In looking to add Oceans to my license and MAMA has 2 classes an “operational” level class at $2500 and a “management” level class at $1500. It looks like both classes will satify bumping my license (currently a 500 NC, but will be applying for a 1600 Ocean) from NC to oceans. What is the difference in the classes and why is one $1000 more than the other? I called the school and the person who answered couldnt tell me the difference, other than the “management” level class was for 3rd mate and up and the “operational” level class was for 500/1600 licensed people.

When I read the class discriptions it sounds like both will satisfy the requirements to go from NC to Oceans.

To add… CMTI in Gloucester only has 1 type of celestial class, adding to my confusion.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;139129]In looking to add Oceans to my license and MAMA has 2 classes an “operational” level class at $2500 and a “management” level class at $1500. It looks like both classes will satify bumping my license (currently a 500 NC, but will be applying for a 1600 Ocean) from NC to oceans. What is the difference in the classes and why is one $1000 more than the other? I called the school and the person who answered couldnt tell me the difference, other than the “management” level class was for 3rd mate and up and the “operational” level class was for 500/1600 licensed people.

When I read the class discriptions it sounds like both will satisfy the requirements to go from NC to Oceans.[/QUOTE]

Ask to see MAMA’s USCG approval letter for each course. See which course satisfies the exam requirements for Master 1600 Oceans. I suggest that you shop very carefully for a celestial course. If you call Crawford’s in Seattle, the person who answers the phone will be able to answer your questions exactly.

Ill call them but I wouldnt be able to afford to go to Seattle to take the class. The good thing about MAMA for me is that it is 5 minutes away from my house.

MAMA’s instructor can answer this one. I interpret it that the operational course is for the third and second mates who are in the operational level of an unlimited deck license, it will cover everything. The management course is probably for chief mate/master’s since that exam has celestial too and they are in the management level. More like a refresher and possibly more detail. If you would like to get a jump on the course, because it clips right along, you can really do well for yourself by first going to seasources.net and home study their terrific step by step video. And since you are so close, Ed Horton is highly recommended as an exam prep instructor, he will have you all lined up to pass your exam after you take your courses.

1 Like

Ya I know about Ed, he helped me with my 500/1600 exam prep. He is also the celestial nav instructor.

I’m taking the 1600t Celestial class right now and have put in to take the 2nd Mate test at the REC also. I will tell you the difference after taking said exam at the REC.

One thing I can tell you that is different. 1600t requires no assessments while the 2nd mate unlimited does.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;139164]Ya I know about Ed, he helped me with my 500/1600 exam prep. He is also the celestial nav instructor.[/QUOTE]

you just wasted my time answering a question here when you have the answer in your lap. that’s ok, but at least you can do is post the answer to your question so I can really see

how

stupid i was.

Well gee, sorry I wasted your time… Your answer was appreciated none the less.

The answer came back from Ed. The operational class is the one I need.

I completed their Celestial Navigation Operational Level course under the wise tutelage of Master Chief Ed. I strongly recommend the course at MAMA because if a rock like me can make it, there is hope for the rest of you out there.

I took it at Cmti & it’s a good class. Amy taught it with the help of another fella. Finished the test in 2hrs which was a record there. Evidentially the Matthews & Tangerines that take the test take all day.