Cel Nav Course help

Who has the best celestial nav course. I have my 1600 mate NC and have been approved for my oceans but dont know where the best place to take the course is. Any help would be great.

Regards

Try Mid Atlantic Maritime academy. The celestial instructor is Ed Horton. He’s a retired Navy Masterchief Quartermaster. He knows celestial like I’ve never seen. Great school and great instructors. you might check out Quality Maritime Training in St. Pete. George Trowbridge is another Retired Master Chief Quartermaster. These QM’s know their shit fo sho. Good luck.

Ill second Ed at mid Atlantic. Ill probably be taking the celestial course there sometime soon. Im glad to know he is the instructor for that as well.

L E Fletcher does a good job for a reasonable price.

Fletcher will only take you if you have a master because the do not do any of the mate evaluations.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;113532]Fletcher will only take you if you have a master because the do not do any of the mate evaluations.[/QUOTE]

All celestial navigations courses aren’t the same. There are several things they can be approved for, they may be approved for one or more of the following:

1. Exams to increase scope from Master 200 N/C to Master 200 Oceans;
  2. Exams to increase scope from Master 500 or 1600 N/C to Master 500 to 1600 Oceans (may or may not include the additional deck general/nav general module);
  3. Exams to increase scope from Mate 500 or 1600 N/C to Mate 500 to 1600 Oceans (may or may not include the additiopnal nav. general module);
  4. STCW [U]course[/U] requirements for OICNW (course is not currently required, but a course’s approval may still include it if the course was approved when the courses were required); and
  5. STCW assessments for OICNW and/or Chief Mate/Master.

It would be prudent to check the approval of any course before committing to it. But, as noted in another recent discussion, that information is no longer available on the NMC web page.

I am upgrading from my 1600 NC to Oceans. Where can I find out if the course I am wanting to take is approved or not if its not on the NMC website? I am looking at houston. There website says that there course meets USCG standards Is this true? Where can i find out? Thanks again guys.

You can call and talk to them or look on www.uscg.mil/nmc under Approved Courses

What exactly are you looking for? If you are looking for a course that takes the place of examination at the USCG I don’t think you are going to locate it as I think 1600 and up require testing at the USCG rec. If you are looking for a prep course they are offered at a number of locations. Depends on what your knowledge base is, do you need to learn the basics or how to take the test or both?

1600 can go this route to get Oceans. I looked at Houston’s website, looks fairly clear and legit. Why so skeptical? Houston has been in business for decades, I would be surprised to find out they are scammers. You could always test at the REC, correct? We know that’s legit!

Didn’t say they were scammers. In fact they have a good name and I’ve known people that have used them in the past with success for license upgrade prep. . But, it is my understanding that 1600 and up needs to test at the USCG. Perhaps I’m wrong, I don’t know… I’ve been unlimited my entire life and always had to test at the USCG . Anyway, my comment stated that and nothing more and nothing less. Is there something on the Houston website that says anything different? Saying the training is USC approved and reading into that you don’t have to test at the REC is two very different topics.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);113820]But, it is my understanding that 1600 and up needs to test at the USCG. [/QUOTE]

Generally that’s true, but the one exception is the exams to increase the scope of 500 and 1600 ton licenses from near coastal to oceans. Ap[art from this, the NMC doesn’t approve courses to substitute for exams for 500 tons and above.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);113820]Didn’t say they were scammers. In fact they have a good name and I’ve known people that have used them in the past with success for license upgrade prep. . But, it is my understanding that 1600 and up needs to test at the USCG. Perhaps I’m wrong, I don’t know… I’ve been unlimited my entire life and always had to test at the USCG . Anyway, my comment stated that and nothing more and nothing less. Is there something on the Houston website that says anything different? Saying the training is USC approved and reading into that you don’t have to test at the REC is two very different topics.[/QUOTE]

Except for my 1600 Oceans testing comment, I wasn’t addressing you X;:cool: I was answering our skeptical friend N.L. that started the thread. I’ll be clearer in the future.

I got it. Sorry, my fault. Anyway, seems he can get what he wants in upgrade training.

Just took my Cel. Nav. course at Houston Marine in NOLA. The instructor was really good plus they’ll reserve a room for you at the hotel next door.