1600t mate n/c to oceans

I’ve heard that if I take the course at AMO Dania and turn in the cert, I do not have to take the CG exam. Anyone with any experience?

Also, I want to upgrade to 1600 master and I believe I need to take the whole exam ( there is no limited exam for this upgrade), with the hope of eventually getting a 3/M unlimited.

Should I go with Oceans now, or wait until I take the exam for 1600 master, sure don’t want to do this twice.

Any advice or best steps to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[QUOTE=waterman74;30784]I’ve heard that if I take the course at AMO Dania and turn in the cert, I do not have to take the CG exam. [/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Last I heard, nobody had an approved 1600 ocean in lieu of test for celestial. Ask them to send you a copy of their approval.

It was something that was said by an instructor at Toledo, that some guys had gotten it awhile back with limited licenses, but not AGT. Anyway, reading some of the older threads, it seems like I can go from 1600t mate to 3rd mate, then add 1600t master with a limited exam…is this true?

[QUOTE=waterman74;30784]

Also, I want to upgrade to 1600 master and I believe I need to take the whole exam ( there is no limited exam for this upgrade), with the hope of eventually getting a 3/M unlimited.

[/QUOTE]

Master Of 1600 Gross Tons To Third Mate.
46 CFR 10.407© provides for a master with a 1600 gross ton license to qualify for third
mate any gross tons by showing one year as master of vessels over 200 gross tons. Section
10.402(b) states that an applicant qualifying for third mate under this section shall have a
tonnage limitation placed on the license based on the applicant’s qualifying experience.

This may help you later down the road…

Clatsop Community College offers courses in celestial navigation which are U.S. Coast Guard approved in lieu of testing for oceans endorsements of not more than 1600 gross tons. These classes are open to all students and are offered on all of the dates listed in the general class schedule. The cost of the class is $347 for a sixty hour class. For further information on scheduled dates, go to:

GENERAL CLASS SCHEDULE

To contact the department:
Voice: 503.325.7962
Voice: 503.338.7600
Fax: 503.325.9777

These guys have a course that says the course is in lieu of testing…Check out the price too!!

thanks for the info! reading this thread if seems as if I can go from 1600 mate to 3rd with only a ror test???

If upgrading your NC license to Oceans then the USCG approved course is sufficient for the upgrade. If upgrading your Mate 1600 NC ticket to 3rd Oceans or Master 1600 Oceans then you will have the privilege of taking the Celestial again at REC. I ask the same question in 2008 when renewing an expired 500 Mate NC ticket. I upgraded to oceans at the same time as the renewal and had to test (#1). Failed the celestial part and had to retake (#2). One year later upgraded to Master 1600 Oceans and had to test for Celestial again (#3). Failed again and had to retake (#4). So with the exam I originally took at the school and the other four I have tested for Celestial five times in 18 months. I can say that I have a better understanding for it, but dang, it was stressful.

[QUOTE=waterman74;30797]thanks for the info! reading this thread if seems as if I can go from 1600 mate to 3rd with only a ror test???

If you got your current mate ticket under the new STCW requirements.
They may require you to take Flashing Light also.

I got my 1600 mates in May 09. Would a flashing light cert from an approved course suffice, or do I take it at the USCG.

10Talents I thought once you had your Oceans endorsement you are good. What , do they make you take that module again every time you upgrade?

ok, so if I went to the College shellback was talking about, got my Oceans, made a lateral move and got my 3rd mates, and if I’m not wrong took a limited exam to get my 1600 masters would I have to take the celestial exam again for that?

I also have a MOTV, if that matters at all.

Celestial can be taken at a school (1600) , like the one I mentioned, there are others too…But for 3rd and above you will have to test at the REC…

On the Flashing light question, I remeber reading that the CG doesn’t test for that at their facilities any more so it will have to be done at a school …

[QUOTE=waterman74;30828]I got my 1600 mates in May 09. Would a flashing light cert from an approved course suffice, or do I take it at the USCG. [/QUOTE]
The REC doesn’t offer FL exams anymore. That is done at the school.

[QUOTE=waterman74;30828]10Talents I thought once you had your Oceans endorsement you are good. What , do they make you take that module again every time you upgrade?
ok, so if I went to the College shellback was talking about, got my Oceans, made a lateral move and got my 3rd mates, and if I’m not wrong took a limited exam to get my 1600 masters would I have to take the celestial exam again for that? [/QUOTE]
If you want to keep the test to minimum then stay NC through your upgrades as long as your position/routes allow it. Then when you have your 3rd M and Master 1600 ticket take the celestial course and test once at the school. If you like to test and thrive on stress do as I did. It wouldn’t have been as bad if I could have passed the exams the first try but both times my ticket was held up until I finished all the modules. For 18 months my new best friend’s name was Nate. He is a math genious and I am not.

[QUOTE=waterman74;30828]I also have a MOTV, if that matters at all.[/QUOTE]
MOTV doesn’t matter, I have it as well.