Celestial exam

I hold a Master 1600 O/C and just passed my 3rd Mate N/C. My question is this (is there anyway to get out of retesting for Celestial, and if not; what does the exam consist of) ?

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;84515]I hold a Master 1600 O/C and just passed my 3rd Mate N/C. My question is this (is there anyway to get out of retesting for Celestial, and if not; what does the exam consist of) ?[/QUOTE]

Take an approved celestial course and turn in your course certificate with your application for Oceans endorsement. Do your research and be sure you are taking an NMC approved course

You can only turn in the course certificate for 1600. For third unlimited you have to test at the coast guard.

[QUOTE=groessleriv;84519]You can only turn in the course certificate for 1600. For third unlimited you have to test at the coast guard.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly correct

[QUOTE=groessleriv;84519]You can only turn in the course certificate for 1600. For third unlimited you have to test at the coast guard.[/QUOTE]

I thought so, just looking for a possible loophole.

[QUOTE=Azimuth;84516]Take an approved celestial course and turn in your course certificate with your application for Oceans endorsement. Do your research and be sure you are taking an NMC approved course[/QUOTE]

This is NOT going to work. As others have already noted, there are no courses approved for 3rd Mate celestial. The approval of the course limiting it to mate 500/1600 will be strictly applied.

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;84515]I hold a Master 1600 O/C and just passed my 3rd Mate N/C. My question is this (is there anyway to get out of retesting for Celestial, and if not; what does the exam consist of) ?[/QUOTE]

You have to take the exam. There is stuff on it that wasn’t on Master 1600, so it isn’t “re-testing.” Your only chance to not test is if you took MATE 500 or MATE 1600 oceans after 1/31/2002. If so, you wouldn’t test for 3rd Mate. As to what’s on it, there are commercial guides that provide good info, or you can look at 46 CFR Table 11.910.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;84552]You have to take the exam. There is stuff on it that wasn’t on Master 1600, so it isn’t “re-testing.” Your only chance to not test is if you took MATE 500 or MATE 1600 oceans after 1/31/2002. If so, you wouldn’t test for 3rd Mate. As to what’s on it, there are commercial guides that provide good info, or you can look at 46 CFR Table 11.910.[/QUOTE]

46 CFR Table 11.910 is not reliable. I used it when studying to test for Master 500 Oceans, and the questions included mid-lat, great circle, mercator and parallel sailing. According to the table, these should NOT have been in the test.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=1b672eca55439bf4fb2b0609f2301063&rgn=div8&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.9.7.3&idno=46

but can you sit for your third N/C then get out of sitting for seven modules? so go back and only have to take one module and not risk flunking the whole test seems like this might be a good test approach.

[QUOTE=orangejulius;84578]but can you sit for your third N/C then get out of sitting for seven modules? so go back and only have to take one module and not risk flunking the whole test seems like this might be a good test approach.[/QUOTE]

He said he already has 3rd Mate N/C. The question was about taking celestial to go to oceans.

Thanks for the advice. So it’s just one module consisting of 15 questions ? or do they thow in some NAV GEN to?

I believe it is just the one module, plus any assessments you may not have completed, plus rules if you haven’t tested within a year.

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;84699]Thanks for the advice. So it’s just one module consisting of 15 questions ? or do they thow in some NAV GEN to?[/QUOTE]
There is also a 10 question Nav General module that covers the stuff that is on deck general for oceans but not near coastal.

[QUOTE=captmarcus;84703]…plus rules if you haven’t tested within a year.[/QUOTE]

That policy has met its long overdue demise. There should not be a rules test to go from near coastal to oceans, no matter how long it has been since you last took a rules test.

I am in your same situation and have received my letter to test for my Oceans Endorsement. It consists of Module 146 Navigation Problems-Celestial and Module 147 Navigation General- Oceans. The celestial course is for masters 1600 and Mates 1600 and will not do you any good for your unlimited license. At least that is the answer I received from NMC.