Did YOU Ever Notice?

[QUOTE=Tugs;97012]I still carry a flashlight with me everyday. It just does not feel right not having it in my pocket. One time I was in my local watering hole and the Bartender thought it would be funny to turn off the lights in the head while I was in there. You should have seen her face when I came out holding my flashlight.[/QUOTE]
That’s funny. Although I dont carry a flashlight at home, when working on things like my bike I am always reaching for my back pocket out of habit.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;96993]Never brought my own tools with me although I did carry a pocket knife, 'course these days I’d get tossed in the hooska.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, back in the day, I always carried a knife, but I never really considered it a tool. It was a necessity. . . Sadly, I am out of the habit for very many reasons, some of what you allude to above.

The last 2 companies I sailed for 24 years provided me with any tool I ordered. One port engineer refused to fill my order for an insulated tool kit until he had a screwdriver blown out of his hand.
I still have my old Simpson 260, Amprobe and megger that I’ve toted throughout West Africa, South and Central America in the ‘70s and early ‘80s. They’ve been held for ransom by customs in the various garden spots many times. I have no doubt that the fees have exceeded $5K in that time. I’ve seen several highly animated negotiations between customs and our agents.

Check my ticket at the airport with my flashlight

[QUOTE=catherder;96940]Well, I know that wasn’t the boiler treatment company I work for. They don’t even give US calendars any more. Or much of anything. The hats are nice, though, when we get them.[/QUOTE]

Used to like the hats and tees from Rigid. “Some day you will wish you had a Rigid tool”

[QUOTE=cmakin;97018]Yeah, back in the day, I always carried a knife, but I never really considered it a tool. It was a necessity. . . Sadly, I am out of the habit for very many reasons, some of what you allude to above.[/QUOTE]

Flying back and forth too the GOM with a carry-on eliminates the knife from my pocket. I always had a pig sticker handy for packing cutting. Now I just grind a “shank” from a hacksaw blade on the shop grinding wheel

[QUOTE=catherder;96940]Well, I know that wasn’t the boiler treatment company I work for. They don’t even give US calendars any more. Or much of anything. The hats are nice, though, when we get them.[/QUOTE]

I’m a pack rat and I keep the darnest things. THAT calendar went with me when I signed-off the ship. The Engine Gang has some unique twisted humor. One <somebody> drew a very unflattering caricature of me upon this calendar (I was the Chief Engineer) plus the months were loaded with unique jokes and obscene sketches. It’s here somewhere in my office, should I locate it I will scan what has to equal the very best of worst. I loved it and would show folks when they showed-up for my fabled cook outs.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;97027]Flying back and forth too the GOM with a carry-on eliminates the knife from my pocket. I always had a pig sticker handy for packing cutting. Now I just grind a “shank” from a hacksaw blade on the shop grinding wheel[/QUOTE]

That works but don’t put it in your back pocket.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;97025]Used to like the hats and tees from Rigid. “Some day you will wish you had a Rigid tool”[/QUOTE]

Say now, what are you talking about here? I’m 72, be kind. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;97027]Flying back and forth too the GOM with a carry-on eliminates the knife from my pocket. I always had a pig sticker handy for packing cutting. Now I just grind a “shank” from a hacksaw blade on the shop grinding wheel[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to do that, too.

Or answering the phone at home, “Engine room …”

Took a shower & home after being @ work for a few weeks during a rough winter & braces my self in the shower midway thru waiting on a roll.

[QUOTE=Tugted;97200]Took a shower & home after being @ work for a few weeks during a rough winter & braces my self in the shower midway thru waiting on a roll.[/QUOTE]

And when you retire Tugted you will still have dreams, and that’s nice ~~~~~~ I hope.

[QUOTE=+A465B;97193]Or answering the phone at home, “Engine room …”[/QUOTE]

That’s friggen funny - and so true but only during the middle of the night or when you are snot ass drunk or very tired.
In time, it goes away.
Once upon a time, in a New York hotel, after I returned from a very long flight, the phone rang. I answered, “I’ll be right down,” It was my 0800 wake-up call. I had to catch another plane home that day.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;97216]And when you retire Tugted you will still have dreams, and that’s nice ~~~~~~ I hope.[/QUOTE]

I have not sailed since 2005 (Damn Back!) but I still have the dreams. It took my Wife almost being punched when kissing me goodbye when I was asleep to remember to shake me first to wake me up before leaning over. LMAO!!!

The old lady love to remind me that I have been known to talk on 13 in my sleep, that and she still hates when I use 24 hour time at home.

The problem I have when I come home is learning to eliminate the F bomb in every sentence.

[QUOTE=“brjones;97280”]The problem I have when I come home is learning to eliminate the F bomb in every sentence.[/QUOTE]

I don’t. I just say I’m a sailor so it’s Ok for me to

[QUOTE=kfj;97321]I don’t. I just say I’m a sailor so it’s Ok for me to[/QUOTE]

lol. Yeah I usually let them fly, but when my 4 year old repeats it, I know I have to watch it

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;97050]I’m a pack rat and I keep the darnest things. THAT calendar went with me when I signed-off the ship. The Engine Gang has some unique twisted humor. One <somebody> drew a very unflattering caricature of me upon this calendar (I was the Chief Engineer) plus the months were loaded with unique jokes and obscene sketches. It’s here somewhere in my office, should I locate it I will scan what has to equal the very best of worst. I loved it and would show folks when they showed-up for my fabled cook outs.[/QUOTE]

If you find it, yeah, post it- I’d love to see that. I did some cartooning years ago at sea and I wish I still had those.