Incompetent engineers that trick deckies and office ppl into thinking the the sh*t

incompetent engineers that trick deckies and office ppl into thinking they’re the sh*t

has anyone else seen this?

I apologize in advance to any of the engineers that do do this.I guess it has been working for you or else you wouldn’t be doing it.

but still, the BSers out there have really been pissing me the F* off

and the deckies and office people just eat it up. It makes me want to vomit

Please repeat this…in ENGLISH

Thanks…

I’m curious that if the deckies and office are eating it up, whose left to vomit? As an EOE (Equal Opportunity Engineer) I encourage you to come forward, so that we Engineers, can review our tactics and deploy a much broader range of crop dusting, to include everyone!

I was intending for this post to be more of an exposé than a guide for BSer’s to become better BSer’s

I will start with one at a time

1)IF an engineer engages a conversation with you about something you know NOTHING about and by nature of the job SHOULDNT know anything about (since you are not in the engine department) and starts questioning you and testing you on ‘do u know this or do u know that’ to make himself sound smart HE IS BS-ING YOU and what he is talking about is probably something EVERY f-ing person with a qmed rating or better knows about but doesnt talk about it because its common F-ING engine department knowledge.

next time he does this to you have your BS RADAR up and maybe start asking him about various deck department specific things or ask him if he can do the next chart correction for you!!

Your looking at this all wrong. You should be asking the Chief to verse you in the matter.

I’m with you on some of it. If I ask a question and get the you have 3 eyes look or a smart ass quirk I tell them straight up. Hey, If I’m suppose to know the engine room and be able to fix the shit in the engine room then pay me $2000 a day and you get the fuck off the boat.

I do think you should learn as much of the engine room as possible because it could effect you on the bridge in many ways. I’m not trying to do THIER job by asking the question, I’m actually trying to make their job easier by knowing about shit down there so I don’t call them to ask a dumbass question when they are working on something. Example would be a hot water sensor in the Swing Down thruster is going faulty. My question is how does this effect me on the bridge Chief? Is the system set up to automatically cut the engine off or does it just give you a warning to let you know we need to shut it down. That’s basic QMED stuff to me but I can promise you that wasn’t on any of my test I took at the USCG for my License as a deck officer.

When those alarms go off in the wheel house I need to know how it is going to effect me. Do I know how every single alarm on the boat effects me? Honestly, No I don’t, but I ask the chief questions everyday about stuff. I’m sure I haven’t seen every alarm on the boat go off. When an alarm goes off you have never seen it’s time to call the chief and find out them answers, after they have fixed the problem.

AND MOST OF ALL…
Remember that the ENGINEERS is what keeps the boat running and on contract. Yea, we have our inspections on the bridge but a broke boat isn’t going anywhere and will be without a job. Lazy engineers will not do the maintenance which causes the boat to break. I being in the wheel house should have some kind of understanding on what maintenance needs to be done in the engine room, not know how to do it. I should be looking at the JSEA’s to see what maintenance is being done and asking questions if I don’t see them JSEA’s.

Like I had a engineer tell me once " There is more to being a captain then driving the boat" and I responded “No Shit, Sherlock.”

[QUOTE=cajaya;144134]I was intending for this post to be more of an exposé than a guide for BSer’s to become better BSer’s

1)IF an engineer engages a conversation with you about something you know NOTHING about and by nature of the job SHOULDNT know anything about (since you are not in the engine department) and starts questioning you and testing you on ‘do u know this or do u know that’ to make himself sound smart HE IS BS-ING YOU and what he is talking about is probably something EVERY f-ing person with a qmed rating or better knows about but doesnt talk about it because its common F-ING engine department knowledge.

next time he does this to you have your BS RADAR up and maybe start asking him about various deck department specific things or ask him if he can do the next chart correction for you!![/QUOTE]
Sorry, but the intent of this thread is not any clearer to me than when you started it with your first thread.

Who exactly is your intended audience? Is this exposé of yours directed to office personnel? Wheelhouse personnel?

If an engineer engaged in a conversation about something I know NOTHING about, (which, because I am not in the engine department must mean anything and everything outside the wheelhouse), I would ask that engineer to fill me in so that we might have an intelligent conversation about the topic. It’s possible that said engineer may not be trying to make himself sound smart? Or BS you?

As per your own statement, you admit that you know nothing about the engine department, yet you’re evaluating the engineer as a B’Ser? With no formal training, practical knowledge or certification to evaluate said engineer, how can you make an educated statement that said engineer is a B-Ser?

True Story: 3 men decide to go hunting in North Carolina. After doing research, they find the best hunting dog around. It’s owner charges them $300 to rent the dog for the trip. The dog proved himself and the hunt was extra successful. The next year the same men come back to rent the dog and the owner charges $500. Again, the trip was successful and they did even better. Last year, the same 3 guys go to rent the dog again, and the owner charges them $5. Asking why so cheap, the owner replies," Just before you got here, 3 captains from Moran rented the dog and nicknamed him Matey, now all he does is sit on his ass and bark all day!

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;144145]As per your own statement, you admit that you know nothing about the engine department, yet you’re evaluating the engineer as a B’Ser? With no formal training, practical knowledge or certification to evaluate said engineer, how can you make an educated statement that said engineer is a B-Ser?
[/QUOTE]
Except in this case our friend Cajaya knows everything about the engineering department. She graduated Piney Point in a record 7 months! Still trying to figure out why this thread was started. At Oh Dark Hundred on a Saturday night / Sunday morning.

Aren’t you the wench who was mad at the industry because you couldn’t get a job in the industry, but now bitch about how everyone is full of shit?

Looks like we have some generalizing going on again.

As far as vessels with smaller crews, it benefits everyone from top to bottom to have some basic understanding of the critical systems on board if you ask me. We all know when there is/are union/s involved then you could get into the touchy subject of jurisdiction i.e. an ab getting upset over an engineer taking the trash out for him or an engineer getting upset over the mate changing out a deck light fixture.

Vessels with separate departments more defined are that way for a reason.

And there are always going to be folks who want to do the bare minimum and don’t address things hoping someone else will get to it.

We all know there are characters aplenty in this industry and lots of guys who talk a good game and can’t back it up. It’s nothing to lose sleep over. In most cases we spend more time with our shipmates more than our own families so knowing how to get along with people is a huge part of the job.

Maybe the OP should direct her comments directly to the engineer in question, rather than this passive aggressive weak sauce.

you are misinterpreting what I am saying. Being filled in is one thing, engineers just coming at you with trivial facts you don’t need to know is them trying to BSing you into you thinking they are smart. Only insecure engineer’s who really know they dont know sht are the ones that do this. For exmaple: The mate comes down to ask the engineer of the watch for the specs on a piece of equipment, instead of just giving him the specs he sits there as asks him after giving him all the other numbers “hey you know what the hertz is?” the mate is like “no, thats why I’m asking you” then the enigneer goes “you mean you dont -know-? All the hertz for the US is always gonna be 60 hertz, -everywhere- else int he world is 50 hz, only in the us is 60” then the mate is just like “oh ok”. First of all there was no point on him putting the mate on the spot like that, secondly, its not the mate’s job to know what the standard frequency is for US power systems. Thirdly he was WRONG, us is not the only country that uses 60 hertz.

this leads me to number 2

2)If there is a particular engineer who is always 'finding sht" and being the hero and saving the day, finding this problem, finding that problem and fixing it. HE WAS PROBABLY THE ONE WHO EFFED IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=captrob;144162]Maybe the OP should direct her comments directly to the engineer in question, rather than this passive aggressive weak sauce.[/QUOTE]

I’ve come across a few. Im just trying to enlighten the deckies out there. If you dont want to know and you think ignorance is bliss than just stop reading this thread NOW

[QUOTE=cajaya;144164] Im just trying to enlighten the deckies out there.[/QUOTE]

Are you on a high school training boat or something? What did your momma say when you came home crying?

[QUOTE=Steamer;144165]Are you on a high school training boat or something? [/QUOTE]

No but sometimes I feel like it

I tend go the other way on this issue. If I don’t know the answer for sure ill just tell you to get back with me. I’d rather say I’m not sure and research the answer than look like a total dumbass and lie with a straight face.

There is also an issue with deck guys reading manuals and specs and suddenly being a genius. More than a few times I’ve been told the problem is this or that. I say well it can’t be those and then I’m told well that’s what the book says. Then I reply the book covers three different models and you read the wrong section our model doesn’t even have the features you’re taking about. That’s why you call me before you fiddle fuck with it and make it worse. The first thing I check is the hertz that’s usually the problem. Some one probably flipped it from standard to metric and that’s why it’s on the fritz. Everyone knows you can’t put 50 hertz furin stuff on an American boat without the special plug adapter thing to convert it to 60 hertz. It’s a good thing I keep a drawer of those in the chiefs room. It’s my little secret when I go around sabotaging everything so I look like the hero.

Had a QMED not too long ago as engineer…got bored one day and decided to change out the racors even though they were fine and didn’t need to be messed with…as we were pushing a loaded barge…up a river.
In case you can’t guess what happened next, lost all power, drifted onto a sand bar, stayed there for 5 days, Coast Guard “unhappy”.
He’s working in an engineroom somewhere in the gulf now…

I’m guessing she begs to be messed with…chip on the ole shoulder seen it both male and female. Some people are insufferable.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;144170]I tend go the other way on this issue. If I don’t know the answer for sure ill just tell you to get back with me. I’d rather say I’m not sure and research the answer than look like a total dumbass and lie with a straight face.

There is also an issue with deck guys reading manuals and specs and suddenly being a genius. More than a few times I’ve been told the problem is this or that. I say well it can’t be those and then I’m told well that’s what the book says. Then I reply the book covers three different models and you read the wrong section our model doesn’t even have the features you’re taking about. That’s why you call me before you fiddle fuck with it and make it worse. The first thing I check is the hertz that’s usually the problem. Some one probably flipped it from standard to metric and that’s why it’s on the fritz. Everyone knows you can’t put 50 hertz furin stuff on an American boat without the special plug adapter thing to convert it to 60 hertz. It’s a good thing I keep a drawer of those in the chiefs room. It’s my little secret when I go around sabotaging everything so I look like the hero.[/QUOTE]
I bet our friend the original poster has a stash of those adapter plugs as well … pretty common in Fort Lauderdale with the European yachts wired for 50 Hz.

[QUOTE=cajaya;144134]I was intending for this post to be more of an exposé than a guide for BSer’s to become better BSer’s

next time he does this to you have your BS RADAR up and maybe start asking him about various deck department specific things or ask him if he can do the next chart correction for you!![/QUOTE]

Heaven knows I have made tens of tens of thousands of dollars correcting charts and pubs over last 15+yrs.

However, if you think that task is somehow on par with working in the ER and doing such things as properly lighting off the boiler, firing up a 35K + HP 10 cylinder diesel and keeping it going with only so much control air at your disposal while some nut job 3rd world harbor pilot can’t make up his mind between ahead and astern bells, paralleling generators, etc., you’re nuts.

And if you think that any credentialed member of the “Black Gang” from QMED up to C/E can’t figure out chart and pub corrections in about 30 mins or less, then you have no respect for them as shipmates, and I can’t imagine why they would have any respect for you.

Good luck with your career! Sounds like it’s off to a bang-up start!

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;144145]As per your own statement, you admit that you know nothing about the engine department, yet you’re evaluating the engineer as a B’Ser? With no formal training, practical knowledge or certification to evaluate said engineer, how can you make an educated statement that said engineer is a B-Ser?

True Story: 3 men decide to go hunting in North Carolina. After doing research, they find the best hunting dog around. It’s owner charges them $300 to rent the dog for the trip. The dog proved himself and the hunt was extra successful. The next year the same men come back to rent the dog and the owner charges $500. Again, the trip was successful and they did even better. Last year, the same 3 guys go to rent the dog again, and the owner charges them $5. Asking why so cheap, the owner replies," Just before you got here, 3 captains from Moran rented the dog and nicknamed him Matey, now all he does is sit on his ass and bark all day![/QUOTE]

F&B you are way off base…

A Capt, a C/E, and a Bosun met at the company picnic and BBQ while on vacation.

The beer was flowing and their respective egos were growing…

They all had their dogs with them and started to talk about how great and how smart they were. So, naturally, a competition arose between them.

The Capt told the other 2, “Check this out!” He calls over “Matey” his giant poodle and tells him to go over to the picnic table and get 12 Oreos out of the pack on the table and neatly stack them in 3 piles of 4 Oreos each. “Matey” barks, happily runs over to the picnic table, and does exactly as he is supposed to.

The C/E says “Not bad, but watch this.” He whistles for “Diesel.” When the jet black lab shows up, the Chief whispers into his ear. The dog quickly runs to the cooler, pulls out a gallon of milk, and pours 3 glasses with exactly 8oz of milk in each. Then, holding one in each paw and balancing the third on his nose he walks on 2 legs to the picnic table and gently places each glass of milk by the stacks of Oreos.

The C/E confidently looks over to the Bosun. The Bosun didn’t have a care in the world as far the look on his face would tell anyone.

In a normal tone of voice, at a normal decibel level, he casually looked down at his mongrel of a mutt and said simply, “Overtime, do your thing.”

“Overtime” runs to the table, inhales all 12 Oreos, chugs all 3 glasses of milk, fucks the other 2 dogs in the ass, and then files a Jones Act case for throwing out his back at work