Did YOU Ever Notice?

I grab the Chiefs fluke. He always has a nice one

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;96725]I use the tiny-weenies so it must have been a magnum or it was pretty big floating on top of the turds. My wife and I are in our fifties so birth control is not important. Do you think any guy buying a condom would go for a regular instead of a magnum.[/QUOTE]

A splendid example of why I like you Maine-e-acks, such colorful folks can not be found any where else on this planet. Hey, I sailed with enuf I’m almost fluent.
Ay-Ep ~~ :smiley:

Never go anywhere without my Bahco it has more seatime than most people on the boat.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;96895]Never go anywhere without my Bahco it has more seatime than most people on the boat.[/QUOTE]

WHAT !
That’s not a Channel Locks ~

If you didn’t have Channel Locks, and a rag, in your back pocket, you were not an Engineer.
'Course, I’m talking a foreign language, STEAM.

Nah chief when I was on steam ships I had a pair with some round stock welded on the handle to make a crows foot.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;96903]Nah chief when I was on steam ships I had a pair with some round stock welded on the handle to make a crows foot.[/QUOTE]
'Cripes, you are fast, Fragrat.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;96902]If you didn’t have Channel Locks, and a rag, in your back pocket, you were not an Engineer.
'Course, I’m talking a foreign language, STEAM.[/QUOTE]

Is that in addition to the four primary languages of most engineers, 1 English, 2 Profanity, 3 Sarcasm, and 4 Pure shit.

I had a Bahco but the adjusting knob fell into the bilge one day from me hammering on the vacuum gage trying to get more vacuum. It never did get more vacuum but it made me feel better.I really liked that wrench but I’m too cheep to buy my own. ATC used to give us those for not getting hurt.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;96915]I had a Bahco but the adjusting knob fell into the bilge one day from me hammering on the vacuum gage trying to get more vacuum. It never did get more vacuum but it made me feel better.I really liked that wrench but I’m too cheep to buy my own. ATC used to give us those for not getting hurt.[/QUOTE]

Shoot, I never got nothing. Well, there was this one time a vender did give me a calendar. Oh goodie, I said, just what we need by the log desk, boiler water treatment.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;96902]If you didn’t have Channel Locks, and a rag, in your back pocket, you were not an Engineer.
'Course, I’m talking a foreign language, STEAM.[/QUOTE]

What no flash light?

I don’t like to leave the accommodations without a good pen, paper, 2 flashlights (medium sized pelican and one tiny LED), safety glasses, channel locks, my spyderco and a good pair of boots. Most deckies leave the channel locks behind… but I’m not sure why.

I could do without the gloves, hardhat and fire resistant coveralls but… they don’t let you walk around naked!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;96931]Shoot, I never got nothing. Well, there was this one time a vender did give me a calendar. Oh goodie, I said, just what we need by the log desk, boiler water treatment.[/QUOTE]

Well, I know that wasn’t the boiler treatment company I work for. They don’t even give US calendars any more. Or much of anything. The hats are nice, though, when we get them.

We have the same problem on MSC ships: Those notorious brown paper towels I say should be banned! And as soon as we a military detachment shit goes south real quick! You can put all the engraved signs you want up, have the master put it out to everyone, but it seems to fall on deaf ears and the engineers spend countless hours knee deep in shit unfucking their stupidity! And how could any disrepect an AC/DC shirt like that is beyond me!!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;96710]Those people are just offshore workers. The term “seaman” should never be used to describe them. I feel your pain as I have found all sorts of strange international objects in the ice cream machine. The most common items are socks and rags which I’m assuming were used when TP was nowhere to be found. Nothing like a Lincoln Log jam caused by the remnants of an old AC/DC shirt.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;96854]Did any other engineers out there notice how the engineers reporting aboard with their own little tool belts packed with their own tools (lots of neat stuff) are the least likely to fix anything you assign them to fix? I always figured if the ship doesn’t have the tools needed to fix something it didn’t need fixing anyway.[/QUOTE]

Bringing one’s own tools was something new to me when I started working in the Gulf. Since I was working for Crowley, we didn’t have to, but when I spoke with supply boat engineers that I crossed paths with; and also when I interviewed with some supply boat companies checking out what else was available, the all asked me what kind of tools I was bringing aboard. Flashlight was pretty much all I responded with. By then, I had stopped the nasty habit of carrying Arkansas Nut Rounders with me. . . .

[QUOTE=john;96935]What no flash light?[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness, must be my Dotage, yes, yes of course a flash light which I often dropped in the bilges.

.[QUOTE=john;96935]Most deckies leave the channel locks behind… but I’m not sure why. [/QUOTE]

Well maybe it’s because one be mechanically gifted to use’em.

[QUOTE=john;96935]I could do without the gloves, hardhat and fire resistant coveralls but… they don’t let you walk around naked![/QUOTE]

THAT may be a good thing. One in 10 you understand!

.[QUOTE=cmakin;96975] By then, I had stopped the nasty habit of carrying Arkansas Nut Rounders with me. . . .[/QUOTE]

Ever notice the [I]Arkansas Nut Rounders[/I], as you so colorfully describe them, located on the machine shop tool board were like old men, they had little or no teeth?

Never brought my own tools with me although I did carry a pocket knife, 'course these days I’d get tossed in the hooska.

I still carry a flashlight with me everyday. It just does not feel right not having it in my pocket. One time I was in my local watering hole and the Bartender thought it would be funny to turn off the lights in the head while I was in there. You should have seen her face when I came out holding my flashlight.

[QUOTE=Tugs;97012]I still carry a flashlight with me everyday. It just does not feel right not having it in my pocket. One time I was in my local watering hole and the Bartender thought it would be funny to turn off the lights in the head while I was in there. You should have seen her face when I came out holding my flashlight.[/QUOTE]
I carry my pocket knife everywhere with me except flying(which i get out of my suitcase as soon as i get my bag). I was @ a wedding & the caterer didn’t have a knife & here i am in suit & i hand him mine. I got a lot of looks from people @ the wedding wondering why i have a knife in my pocket. My wife says if he has shorts or pants on he has a knife in his pocket.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;96992].

Ever notice the [I]Arkansas Nut Rounders[/I], as you so colorfully describe them, located on the machine shop tool board were like old men, they had little or no teeth?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don’t recall seeing very many tongue and grove pliers (isn’t that the proper term) on very many tool boards. Now, this isn’t to say that there are right and wrong ways to use a Mississippi Knurling Tool, but they are easily one of the most mis-used tools that I know of. Just like me seeing someone use a crescent wrench the wrong way bugs the lving daylights out of me. . .