Desperate need of help

Start off with my credentials 50ton,ab special, lifeboat, stcw bst.

I have very little commercial experience, 30 days marine construction and currently 3 months working on a commuter ferry (Not much in terms of maritime type work…simple stuff). I want to work on a tug/ship…called all the union halls and they have AB unlimited’s sitting around waiting so me with little experience have little chance of getting in. Also with this economy no one is hiring and if they do they would hire someone with more experience with me.

I tried to applied for supply utility with Military sealift command and did not make the cut…if I can’t get in with them who can I get in with?? is anyone hireing? i just want a job on a ship/tug pay really does not matter I just want experience, cause once I have experience then jobs will be easier to find.

Also i live in MA and seems like the tugs down south would not work out i could not afford to travel or live down there on a 14/14 type schedule on the rates they pay…I just want a job pllllleeease help me out what direction should i be looking who is easy to get with??

WalMart.

Seriously. In this market you’re pissing in the wind, especially if you’re unwilling to travel.

well I am willing to travel but if I go down south on a 14/14 or 14/28 how can i live or travel for 135 a day or what ever they pay?

did you try NOAA?

It may not be a tug, but there are positions available on rigs. Some either provide travel on subsidize it. Entry level guys are 40-55K first year working even time schedules. Realize you will make a few bucks here and there going to training classes, etc.

http://www.noblecorp.com/Career/Offshore/Roustabout.asp

It is a job.

http://www.enscointernational.com/default.aspx?id=154

http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Current-Job-Openings-300.html

http://www.seadrill.com/

http://www.prideinternational.com/fw/main/Home-59.html

These are some companies to get you started. They may not be advertising for the position you are applying for but you can still put together a resume and send it to their e-mail. Send it to them once a week. There are seaman positions available at some of these and roustabout positions which accrue sea time.

Im detecting a bit of, ya but…

Heres my story.
About the same in rates as yours. No recent industrial time. Im 55 years old.
Drove down to Morgan City in a mini van cause I figured id be staying a while till I got a job and could not afford weeks in a motel.

Drove 2,300 miles from PNW mid February. Arrived on a Tuesday. Put on my job hunting cloths on Wednesday and visited 4 companies. Was offerd an unlicensed deckhand job on a 98 ton boat on Thursday. $150/day. I felt it was insulting… for a about a second until I got my ego in controll again. I was an AB for god sakes !

I took the job with a smile, handshake, and proud to be working on deck again.

I busted my ass, was polite, and was promoted to AB and put on another boat at $250/day.

Bottom line… you have several strikes against ya:

1. no GOM recency
  2. damn yankie.
  3. “ya but”

I did this in the winter with companies tying boats up, and crews fired. Now I read pay cuts.

In three more hitches Ill have AB Unlimited RFPNW. I already have enough time to upgrade my 50 ton to 100 ton NC.
Like they say, if ya wanna work go to the GOM.

Its summer now and things are looking a little better. If you really want to do this youre gonna have to get off your ass and bet on yourself.

Bob

Deep Water Semi, JR CREW Able Bodied Roustabout

<table id=“generalTable” class=“posting” border=“0” cellpadding=“2” cellspacing=“0” width=“100%”> <tbody><tr> <td class=“small” align=“right”>[B]Employer:[/B] </td> <td class=“small” colspan=“3”> Maersk Drilling USA Inc.
Updated: Jun 15 2009
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class=“small” align=“right” valign=“top” width=“25%”>[B]Desired Expertise:[/B]</td> <td class=“small” colspan=“3”>A B Seaman, Roustabout</td> </tr> <tr> <td class=“small” align=“right”>[B]Experience:[/B]</td> <td class=“small” colspan=“3”> 1+ years</td> </tr> <tr> <td class=“small” align=“right”>[B]Education:[/B]</td> <td class=“small” colspan=“3”>High School/Secondary</td> </tr> <tr> <td class=“small” align=“right”>[B]Location:[/B]</td> <td class=“small” colspan=“3”>Gulf of Mexico, TX</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=“4” style=“border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(224, 224, 224);”>
[](javascript:showEmailDiv():wink: [B]Job Description:[/B] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=“4”> <script language=“Javascript”> <!-- function showEmailDiv() { if ( document.getElementById(‘divEmail’) ) { var divEmail = document.getElementById(‘divEmail’); if (divEmail.style.display == ‘none’) { divEmail.style.display = ‘block’; } else { divEmail.style.display = ‘none’; } } } //–> </script> <table id=“generalTable” width=“100%”> <tbody><tr> <td> <form method=“post” id=“form1” name=“form1”> <table border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“0” width=“100%”> <tbody><tr> <td class=“LightBlueSmall”>[B]Friend’s Email:[/B]</td><td><input name=“to_email” style=“width: 210px;” value="" type=“text”></td> <td class=“LightBlueSmall” rowspan=“3”>[B]Your Comments:[/B]
<textarea style=“width: 275px; height: 85px;” name=“comment”></textarea></td> </tr> <tr><td class=“LightBlueSmall”>[B]Your Email:[/B]</td><td><input name=“from_email” style=“width: 210px;” value="" type=“text”></td></tr> <tr><td class=“LightBlueSmall”>[B]Subject:[/B]</td><td><input name=“subject” style=“width: 210px;” value=“Deep Water Semi, JR CREW Able Bodied Roustabout - Job Opening” type=“text”></td></tr> <tr><td class=“LightBlueSmall” colspan=“3” align=“right”><input class=“inputButton” name=“btnSend” value=“Send Job Posting” type=“submit”></td></tr> </tbody></table> </form>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> ONLINE APPLICATIONS ONLY

We are seeking the below personnel to join our rapidly expanding fleet for the first of our Deepwater Semis due to operate in the Gulf of Mexico. This is a unique opportunity to join a company dedicated to setting new standards. Using cutting edge technology and know-how, we design, develop and operate a global fleet of highly advanced Drilling rigs which are designed to operate in extreme conditions.

We are investing in the future with our substantial New building programme which includes 4 new Jack-up rigs and 3 Ultra Deepwater Semi-Submersibles. We pride ourselves in being able to provide excellent opportunities for the future advancement and training.

Our first Deepwater Semi is to operate in the Gulf of Mexico. We are seeking experienced personnel only.

Able Bodied Roustabout

Qualification: Experience as Roustabout. Able Seaman (unlimited) II / 4. STCW II / 4, must be accompanied with Merchant Mariners License or Document.

Safety Training Courses and Medical Certificate in accordance with the requirement stipulated for regular crew by the continental shelf authority for the current operating area.

As directedby the Crane Operator, the OIM or the Barge Engineer, assist in loading/unloading cargo from supply vessels and helicopters, and in receiving or discharging supplies of fuel and bulk cargo.

In accordance with instruction from the Crane Operator or other superiors, carry out maintenance work (including lubrication, greasing, cleaning, and painting) on hull, superstructure, cargo gear and other deck and drilling equipment and machinery as required.

Assist the drill floor crew with handling of casings and drill pipes as necessary and assist in the mising of mud and chemicals when requested.

Relieve Floorhands on the dril-floor during rests, illness etc. when required.

Carry out other due work as directed by the Barge Engineer or the OIM.

Member of helideck crew and helideck fire team.

Participate in the emergency preparedness drills, the safety meetings, and on the job training. </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=“4”>
[B]Applicant Requirements:[/B] </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=“4”> In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.

[B]Location:[/B] North America
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan=“4” align=“center”> <!–APPLY ONLINE BOX–> [B]Apply With One Click[/B]

If you've already posted your resume to the Rigzone Career Center, you can send your online resume to this employer for free.
[[IMG]http://rigzone.com/images/button_applyOnlineNow.gif[/IMG]](http://rigzone.com/jobs/job_posting_contact.asp?p_id=64615)                 &lt;/td&gt;       &lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr&gt;      &lt;/tr&gt;        &lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/table&gt;            	    

&lt;!-- 		START: DOWNSTREAM MARKETING SECTION 		

&lt;center&gt; 		[LEFT] 		[B]Visit DownstreamJobs.com for More Opportunities:[/B]
	If you are looking for work in the pipeline, transportation, storage, LNG, refining or petrochemical industries,    		check out the largest career-focused web site for downstream professionals:  		[B][www.DownstreamJobs.com](http://www.DownstreamJobs.com/)[/B].  		[/LEFT]
	&lt;/center&gt; 		END: DOWNSTREAM MARKETING SECTION--&gt;

[QUOTE=bob;13952]If you really want to do this youre gonna have to get off your ass and bet on yourself. Bob[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Well said!

Old People are MEAN!!

And mean people Suck!!