Deep sea vs tugs

Hi I’ve scanned through the forum, found many posts about deep sea to tugs. I’m asking about the opposite. I’m a SUNY grad. 3/M unlimited. Have experience on a tug out of NY. Will have my toar in a few months with only an inland distinction.
I’ve been strongly considering making a transition to deep sea. I want to sail on my license. Make some decent money. And see some interesting places.
However, I am happy on my boat. The guys are work with are excellent. They’ve taught me a lot and I’m grateful for that. But I do know that the harbor isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. But my license will if I don’t use it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Go join MMP and see what you can get. It’s certainly a different world.

I don’t believe you’ll lose the unlimited license just because you’re sailing limited tonnage vessels, if that’s one of your concerns.

MMP is one way to go, at least you can travel around a bit stateside between halls and make a little adventure out of finding jobs. Call me a sadist but I find the hiring hall system exciting.

1 Like

Well thank you. I appreciate it. Seems deep sea is the direction to go at the moment

You won’t lose your current license (national endorsement) if you work inland and/or on vessels of “limited” tonnage. You can renew a national endorsement even if you do not have any sea time. For your STCW, if you work inland and want to maintain the STCW endorsements, you may not be eligible for STCW “:revalidation” courses and may need to take longer “refresher” courses for Basic Training, Advanced Firefighting, and Proficiency in Survival Craft. You can also let your STCW lapse and still maintain the national endorsement.

1 Like

He works on a tug.

I definitely recommend you either get a union job on a ship or join MSC. Travel, see the world, get big ship time, etc. If you stay on tugs then in 10 years when you wish you failed deep sea for a bit first you’re screwed since you’ll have more obligations tying you to short even time rotations.

Loved my seagoing tug job. Was union, but not MMP.

Thank you for the advice. I think that settles then. Appreciate it

Sounds like the crew on the OP tug is not familiar with upgrading to big licenses. The Manila Amendments opened up license upgrades to unlimited tonnage from smaller vessels, but at the same time required more schooling to achieve those credentials. CM unlimited upgrade is possible on a 100 GRT vessel now (see below from USCG checklist). This change also required 5 courses are instead of the 3 courses prior to 2016ish.

The NMC is pretty helpful with this stuff, as are many maritime schools such as MPT.

If at least half your time wasn’t on vessels over 1,600 GRT, you will get a tonnage limit based on the tonnage of your service. If all your time was on a 199 GRT tug, your tonnage limit will be 2,000 GRT.

It’s not entirely new, the cut-off used to be 200 GRT. But making it 100 GRT opens it up to anyone on a 199 GRT tug (albeit with a tonnage limit).

This change (100 GRT from 200 GRT) had nothing to do with the 2010 STCW amendments. It was just done in the same rulemaking. Otherwise they are not related.