Death of the gCaptain Forum

Let’s face it the gcaptain forum is in its final death throws. For most of the last year it has been difficult, and often impossible, to login. It has been even more difficult to get to post. At times the forum seemed stuck on the old posts from the last login. Access to the forum is now better, but too often quite problematic.

As as a result, forum traffic has dried up to a trickle. The most knowledgeable and most frequent posters have disappeared or cut back to only sporadic appearances. The forum is no longer a timely source of reliable information about what is going on in the industry.

Has everyone gone somewhere else?

It seems to me that gCaptain has intentionally decided not to fix these forum technical problems. Although the forum built gcaptain, the forum has apparently outlived its usefulness. It’s being allowed to die.

I have an iPhone 6 with service by Verizon and use the gCaptain forum app. I have absolutely zero problems with it. The forum works perfectly. It used to be somewhat buggy and glitchy but performance has improved rapidly for me over the past two years. Thanks gCaptain! Just my experience, YMMV.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;193858]Let’s face it the gcaptain forum is in its final death throws. [/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t go that far but there are definitely problems with the way it handles cookies or something on Windows machines. It takes multiple reloads to reach a post that I know is there, it does not show up on recent posts but shows up on the activity stream but clicking on it never goes to that post, it just goes to the last one viewed. When opening the site first time in the day it shows the newest posts as those from the day before.

It is as annoying as the recent troll infestation.

[QUOTE=Steamer;193862]I wouldn’t go that far but there are definitely problems with the way it handles cookies or something on Windows machines. It takes multiple reloads to reach a post that I know is there, it does not show up on recent posts but shows up on the activity stream but clicking on it never goes to that post, it just goes to the last one viewed. When opening the site first time in the day it shows the newest posts as those from the day before.

It is as annoying as the recent troll infestation.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
If the forum does not contribute income for the website, I can see why the sick patient has been abandoned. Whenever I log on, I half expect to find out the patient has died.

I’ve resorted to using a dedicated tablet so the history can be cleared after every gCaptain session. A PITA for sure, and the frequency of logging in is going down. It’s worthwhile to check in from time to time to see if anything has changed or if there is any significant news.

Same here. It’s been a year or so since I’ve logged in with a PC.

The only time I use a PC is to occasionally change my password. I use the app exclusively on iPhone 6.

It’s a pain in the ass to reply and have a conversation on this forum, so for the most part I just don’t care. It’s been like this for so long a time, that I’m just assuming it is intentionally.

Yeah the above is true as is the frequency of posts. Not much happens here anymore. No one has much to say, except for a few verbose members.

Forums wax and wane. We’ve had some lively convo’s here over the years. Due to the absolute obliteration that foolish comments receive, I think many are apprehensive to post here unless they genuinely think they have something great to say. You could look at that as a benefit or detriment. I see at as situation normal. The industry and its workers don’t really tolerate BS, and stupid comments are blasted, ridiculed, and laughed away in real life, just like they are here. Most everything one could talk in maritime matters about has been broached sometime here in the last 5-7 years. Its normal for forums to slow down over time. Convo seems to light up now only for accident discussion or new people checking on company wages/oilfield recovery.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the forum. It sounds like PC and Android users do face significant user issues, however. Enough even to curtail their usage, and thats a shame.

This has always mainly been in oil field fourm. As soon as things pick up so will the conversations.

I will say that it’s good to see some familiar names on this thread.

[QUOTE=water;193870]I’ve resorted to using a dedicated tablet so the history can be cleared after every gCaptain session. A PITA for sure, and the frequency of logging in is going down. It’s worthwhile to check in from time to time to see if anything has changed or if there is any significant news.[/QUOTE]

Could it be that the problem is not so much with the forum host as on the receiving side?
Since some have problems and others not the problem may be with whatever “instrument”, service provider and search engine or whatever is used by the individual.

Personally I have not had any problems lately on this forum, but experience problems on one other forum based on vBulletin. Just my thought.

Same here… only problem I ever have is with gCaptain being blacklisted by my employer if I want to check up on it via VSAT. Other than that, no issues.

[QUOTE=ombugge;193881]

Personally I have not had any problems lately on this forum, but experience problems on one other forum based on vBulletin. Just my thought.[/QUOTE]

I’m also on another v bulletin forum, and have no problems there.

Some time earlier this year gCaptain announced a subscription service. Anyone using it, and how is it working?

This forum has always been very valuable for me, from anchorman’s excellent post of how to go knocking on doors in the oil patch back in 2008, to tips for upgrading over the years. Hopefully, I’ve been able to make a few posts that have helped others.

Soon I’ll figure out which one of these wires unplugs Norway.

Irritates me that is so hard to post on this forum, if not I would be in a permanent shit fight with Fraqrat :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;193872]The only time I use a PC is to occasionally change my password. I use the app exclusively on iPhone 6.[/QUOTE]

Well that’s just peachy. Now in addition to the carpal tunnel syndrome I’ve developed from constantly clicking on the refresh button, I’ll have a permanent squint from scrutinizing that tiny screen.
If they don’t fix this soon, I’m moving to Canada.

y’all are such weenies here pissing and moaning about your browsers and operating systems. hard core users like me get gCaptain translated to morse code and sent over 500kHz in ICW mode. here is a photo of me getting the latest dirt

If they don’t fix this soon, I’m moving to Canada.

after I take DAUNTLESS north and ask for political asylum, I’ll need a few good hands aboard but if you’ll want to keep up with the forum you’ll need to get your carpal tunnel fixed!

Yeah, I used to be an old salt, now I’m Young Again!