DDE Upgrade

I wasn’t with family and traveled the globe, no regrets but i realize not everyone is in a position to do that.

Yes I believe he can…and if he can, sooner is better than later. The last few years the NMC has been threatening that only QAs can sign people off, simply holding the license w/seatime won’t be enough. Never know, there may be another extension come the end of the year…maybe @jdcavo can confirm…

It isn’t just assessments. You have a few courses to do as well. Did you read the checklist?

Yeah I saw the check list I’m a AMO member so I can take what I need there I already have advance firefighting and basic
I need
Medical care provider
Leadership and management
Engine resource management
Would I need all these I’m just MOTOR

Ok, let me try to help interpret this for you:

You don’t need leadership & management. That’s for chiefs/1st assistants (second engineer.) Now, some DDEs have been known to get the management level endorsement, some haven’t. Thats a story/headache for another day.

You need leadership and teamworking, which is usually included in engine resource management.

Looks like you also need auxiliary machinery and engineering terminology/shipboard operations. Notice you need proficiency in survival craft. I may be wrong, but you may need to take lifeboatman if you haven’t already to get that. Looks like there’s
a motor plants course…and you need electrical machinery and basic electronics. Not sure if thats the MEECE class or something else.

Usually these classes work in leiu of most of the assessments, but don’t hold me to it. Luckily i got my first DDE and upgraded well before 2017 when this extra stuff got added.

Jeez that’s nuts all that crap yes I got my lifeboatman
That’s a whole lot of classes and that’s just to get my OICEW

I couldn’t just have the guy here I work with sign my Record Assignment form for all that stuff

You’re right about OICEW. But a DDE is the de facto Chief Engineer, and if STCW applies to the vessel. an STCW endorsement for Chief Engineer is needed. OICEW is a prerequisite to Chief Engineer, so both would be needed.

But, it’s going to take time to get all the courses and assessments for OICEW, so it’s probably better o get that first and then work on Chief Engineer.

Electrical Machinery and Basic Electronics is NOT a MEECE course. It’s different and required for OICEW.

On Leadership, the requirement for OICEW is Leadership and Teamworking Skills. It can be either a course or assessments on a vessel. If you are going to do this with a course, take the Leadership and Managerial Skills course, it will meet the OICEW requirement and you can use it again to get Chief Engineer.

The courses aren’t really “in lieu” of assessments. The assessments are still a separate requirement. But SOME courses do SOME of the assessments in addition to the course material.

NO. You need the courses AND assessments.

1 Like

I think what all do is wait till I have enough seatime and test for the DDE unlimited first I think I’m pretty close for the seatime requirement and for that to get added to my book cause right now my company has two brackets of pay 4000 then unlimited

I would recommend applying for Assistant Engineer (Limited) when you do that upgrade and after that keep going to Chief Engineer (Limited).

DDE Unlimited - 3 years
Assistant Engineer (Limited) - 3 years
Chief Engineer (Limited) - 5 years

1 Like

Apply for both Assistant Engineer-Limited and DDE Unlimited. The sea time is the same and if you apply for both AT THE SAME TIME there is only one exam for both endorsements, see page A12-3 of Volume III of the Marine Safety Manual.

2 Likes

So if I pass the DDE unlimited test when I turned it in to the coastguard apply for both of them to get added to my book

Not sure what you are asking. You take the exam from the Coast Guard AFTER you apply. There is nothing to turn in. If you took a course instead of having to take the Coast Guard exam, it depends on the specific approval for the course, but it probably doesn’t include Assistant Engineer-Limited.

On the same application, you put in for DDE unlimited AND assistant engineer limited.

Four modules to take. Pass all four, you get BOTH dde unlimited and assistant engineer limited.

The assistant engineer limited will cover you for boats less than 1600 grt. Your horsepower rating will be based on sea service. If you have more than half the required time on something 4000 hp or more, you should get unlimited HP. The benefit of this is your dde unlimited only covers boats less than 500 grt. With the assistant’s ticket, you can sail assistant on larger vessels as an assistant.

You’ll still have the same issues with getting OICEW.

Yeah so I was going to go take a course to get my unlimited

Ask the school if that will cover assistant engineer limited too.

If not, you can apply to the NMC just for that and go test.

This also gives you access to someone who can sign your STCW assessments for Chief Engineer. If you’re the DDE, there’s no one to sign yours (the assessor has to be a Chief Engineer), you can’t sign your own.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that is not an option. I don’t think there are any courses that will substitute for the exam for DDE Unlimited. There are courses to substitute for the exams for DDE 1,000 and DDE 4,000, but I don’t think there are any for unlimited. As far as I know, the only approval towards DDE unlimited is for a portion of the sea time, not the exam.

You can search for yourself on the approved courses part of the NMC web page, but I don’t think there are any.

No public announcement yet, but at the Fall meeting of the National Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee (NMERPAC) two weeks ago, the Coast Guard announced as “policy under development” that they are considering extending the deadline by another five years. There are actually less approved “Qualified Assessors” than there were the last time the deasline was extended.

1 Like

Fewer?

And if they keep extending the deadline then those numbers will continue to drop. The numbers will shoot up once the extensions finally end.