DDE 4000 to Unlimited

That may have been a few years back. I doubt that is the case these days.

As far as the atbs go, and i can’t speak for all, what the manning document says is a huge factor. Having stcw III/2 is a requirement on most atbs for the chief…even the smaller ones. Dde 4k can’t get that, however dde4k holding oicew greater than 1k may be able to fill the assistant engineer billet.

Its questionable that even a dde unlimited can get the chief III/2. I know when i was a dde unlimited i got shot down getting it. One of those ‘depends on the evaluators interpretation’ things.

With the current economy and uncertainty out there, if a dde4k was full time employed, anywhere, and making 450 a day i’d say they are doing pretty good.

When I worked for Crowley (oceans, only spot harbor jobs), unless you were connected, they wanted at least a 3rd’s license. This was preDDE.

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys.
Another question: my sea time started before March 2014. When I called the NMC they said that all engineering as of 2021 will be tested under the “as of” regulations. Any body else heard of this? It does not matter to me which test I take but if like to start studying.
I haven’t sent in my application yet cause I have 2 classes to take but want the jump in studying.
Thanks again.

They no longer have the old and the new exams. Everyone tests under the new exams.

Thanks, this was my assumption.

Testing under the old rules ended on March 24, 2019. If you did not apply before then, you test under the new rules regardless of when you began service. See CG-MMC Policy Letter 1-19.

There might be a few still allowed to test under the old rules. If they narrowly beat the deadline, they might have been approved o test under the old rules in late Spring 2019. They woul have a year to complete testing, and with the several extensions for COVID-19, it’s possible a few are left who can test under the old rules. But for most, and anyone who applied after March 24, 2019, they testunder the new rules.

Just wanted to say I went the easier route to get the DDE 4000 AHP. I went to school. It was a month. They crammed down the info to test every week. We took four modules. At the end I got a certificate for DDE 4000 that will turn into a DDE AHP after 360 days at sea. I work on a harbor tug and only wanted this for the pay raise. I know plenty of you want to study …. I’ll never use 90% of the knowledge I learned. There is no reasonable sense for me to learn it. IM NEVER going on a ship. I’ll never leave this harbor. I’ve been with this company for 19 years. If you’re staying on tugs like I am, just go to school. Do study first. But know, most of the stuff you study the school won’t cover. I know this because I watched a guy study to be smart. It gave him some of an edge.

Bottom line, when your at school learn what they throw at you it’ll be a lot.

1 Like